Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Moth balling Cali for 4 months.

T140

T140

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hi all, the wife and I are going away for 4 months from December to March we will have to leave the van at home on the drive, my son will be able to plug in the van to keep the batteries charged each month but not able to take her for a run. l have drained down the water tank and removed the tap fuse, I will leave the van in gear and leave the hand break off. My biggest concern is the van freezing up. Some questions.

1. Should I buy a cover for the van.
2. Leave a window open a bit for ventilation.
3. Empty windscreen wash wipe container.

Any other tips for me I would be very grateful.

Steve and Pat.

I would top up the windscreen washer tank with neat washer fluid and go for a drive to mix it up. Then use the front and rear washers to make sure the concentrated mix gets through to the jets.
If parked in an exposed position a cover could be useful as long as it is properly secured so it doesn't flap around.
You need to put the cover on with the vehicle dry.
You also need to keep the inside dry. Leaving a window part open could allow damp air in and would probably invalidate your insurance.
I would use Silica Dehumidifies instead .http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00F9M53HE/?tag=eliteelect-21
Place near front and rear of vehicle.
The vehicle could be left plugged into the Mains. No harm will come to it.

Lend (hire) it to someone here who is waiting for their T6? :)

Hi again all. Thanks very much for all your help to do with moth balling the. Van.
Should the engine be ok in the freezing conditions, I think I re ad that a pump cuts in and warms up the block.
Steve Pat.

Get the strength of the antifreeze checked before you go and the engine will be fine. It does go off over time.

Hi again all. Thanks very much for all your help to do with moth balling the. Van.
Should the engine be ok in the freezing conditions, I think I re ad that a pump cuts in and warms up the block.
Steve Pat.
If the antifreeze is the correct strength then that will protect the engine.
I'm not sure what you mean regarding " a pump cuts in and warms up the block. "
There is an Auxiliary Diesel Coolant Heater that will automatically start when the engine is started if the ambient temperature is 5c or less.
It does not activate until the engine is started.

Thanks again for all the help on this thread.
One more thing when you plug the van into the main 240v will the charger charge the vehicle battery as well as the 2 leisure batteries?
Thanks again folks
Steve Pat.:thumb

This question comes up so often. It depends on the year of your Cali. Plugging into the mains will not charge a battery it will keep it topped up.

Back