Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Mosquito net for sliding door

Paul Barnes

Paul Barnes

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
We are hoping to travel around Portugal in the summer months and will probably need some mozzy protection inside the van when sleeping. Can anyone recommend a suitable product ? How would you fix it to the inner walls ? We have a Reimo catalogue but our supplier is not convinced their net will fit our 2005 Cali Comfortline. Thank you

Brandrup also have one in their cataloge , you could try DIY ....just buy some maze and velcro or magnets.

http://www.brandrup.de/en/

Like the idea of magnets and can probably get some netting from the Chinese shop. This will also be space saving when driving if rolled up and stored in top bed area.
Cheers

My wife has a violent allergic reaction to mosquito bites that has in the past led to her being hospitalised...

As such we've had the Brandrup Flyout on the van's sliding door since our first summer touring europe 6 years ago.

Oh and yes we have been known to sleep with the door open on occasion.

Stunning piece of kit, attention to detail is great as always. (Even the velcro is colour coded to the different pieces of trim it attaches to.)

Ours is permanently in place and is rolled towards the rear of the door. Once there, it's not really noticeable and takes seconds to zip closed if needed - Had lot's of positive comments at shows like Stamford and CamperJam when people see it.

Rgds
Mark

Are you planning to sleep with the van door open?
Hi,
The plan is to slow drive north through Portugal, Spain then to western France.
Yes planning to sleep with sliding door and possibly sliding window both open, bearing in mind northern Portugal gets extreme temperatures ( 40'c +) hence the annual forest fires.
Mozzies always home in on me and have tried most of the sprays and rubs
Thanks

I seriously thought we would be in updated with mozzies when we traveled to Spain and I can't recall us seeing even one the whole trip... flies on the other hand where bloody everywhere! Very tempted to get the Brandrup Flyout kit for the tailgate and sliding door for this years trip. I saw Nicks set up at Stanford and it looked very decent

We thought the Bandrup mosquito screens were great - well tested all the way through Central and South America. We also had the screen for the window above the sink and wished we had the ventilators for the front windows, also from Bandrup.

I went the cheap route and measured the opening, went to the local hardware store and purchased some mosquito netting and then cut it with about 10 centimeters overlap on all sides. Then I attach the netting to the door opening with black metal paper clips (see below) on the top and back side (where door slides open). I leave the bottom and front side unclipped but tucked inside the door frame for easy in/out access. Has worked great for two years.
black clip.jpg

@laurentfox ,
nice job , got some of those clips somewhere , keeping that tip in mind:thumb
You could attach some fishing-lead on the bottem to heavy the net keeping it hanging nice and straith!

@laurentfox ,
nice job , got some of those clips somewhere , keeping that tip in mind:thumb
You could attach some fishing-lead on the bottem to heavy the net keeping it hanging nice and straith!
Hotel California, I'll give that a try. I normally just have the bottom tucked in on the step (I have a piece of grey plastic welcome mat that is velcroed there and the little plastic grass stems hold the screen in very well)

mat.jpg

but having the screen hang straight down could work well also. Cheers! Laurent

Hi

We are currently travelling south down west coast of France and the mosquitoes are starting to bite. My wife has helped to create a cheap but efficient screen to keep them out, cobbling together a couple of pieces of mosquito netting which cover the door with loads of overlap, along with a length of stretchy curtain wire (as per Granny's lace curtains), a couple of plastic cup hooks and small plastic curtain rings attached to the foot of the netting with IKEA curtain clips to weight everything down. The rings could be stitched or tied on if clips not available. With the wire cut to the right length, the cup hooks attach to the top sliding hinge on the door and to one of the slider knobs in the gutter which normally fix the roof topper in place. Only real skill required is to sew a turned hem on the netting for the wire to pass through.

I'll try and post some pics.

Hope this helps.

Pic1
Hi

We are currently travelling south down west coast of France and the mosquitoes are starting to bite. My wife has helped to create a cheap but efficient screen to keep them out, cobbling together a couple of pieces of mosquito netting which cover the door with loads of overlap, along with a length of stretchy curtain wire (as per Granny's lace curtains), a couple of plastic cup hooks and small plastic curtain rings attached to the foot of the netting with IKEA curtain clips to weight everything down. The rings could be stitched or tied on if clips not available. With the wire cut to the right length, the cup hooks attach to the top sliding hinge on the door and to one of the slider knobs in the gutter which normally fix the roof topper in place. Only real skill required is to sew a turned hem on the netting for the wire to pass through.

Hope this helps.
image.jpg

Forgot to say that you just go in and out by pushing aside what are effectively mesh curtains. You can also sleep with doors wide open. Just make sure you haven't left a gap after you've gone in or out.

image.jpg

Thought about magnets to hold the net up. Might be a small concern about scratching but not sure it's significant?

Regarding magnets, had thought about that but decided the constant entry and exit would possibly push them apart or dislodge them. Two hooks is certainly quick and easy to fix and undo. With all of our bits being plastic then scratching not a problem.

The great thing about this forum is that there are so many different approaches to the same problem. So far, our's seems to work but by all means give magnets a go.

Hi

Hope this helps.
Like the net curtain rail at the top. Currently working through midge proofing the Starlight and have little magnets to sew in but will use this mod at the top. Thanks!

Like the net curtain rail at the top. Currently working through midge proofing the Starlight and have little magnets to sew in but will use this mod at the top. Thanks!

Hi
Not sure if this system, or any, would work for midgies, as far as door is concerned as there is always a tiny gap. Being Scottish and encountering the little blighters frequently, we have sewn midge mesh, as opposed to mosquito mesh, over the top two small roof vents as well as over the large zip front roof mesh window which works well. The weather up our way rarely merits keeping the door open, so is less of a problem!

Cheers

Hi
Not sure if this system, or any, would work for midgies, as far as door is concerned as there is always a tiny gap. Being Scottish and encountering the little blighters frequently, we have sewn midge mesh, as opposed to mosquito mesh, over the top two small roof vents as well as over the large zip front roof mesh window which works well. The weather up our way rarely merits keeping the door open, so is less of a problem!

Cheers
Don't worry, serious midge gauze being sew in. Probably won't get to the door. The whole circular needle business is a bit slow. I've done both window screens, they just need insulating tape along the edges. Next the air vents up top, then the semi circular vents... May never get to the door!

Hi, I bought the brandrup flyout for the sliding door while in Holland. It is a well made peice of kit but the fitting instructions are very vague as to where to place the velcro strips. Main problem is where do you place the tape on the vertical pillars and along the Floor/ step??
Has anyone got a picture of it on theirs?

Steve

Back