Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Max operating altitude for the aux heater?

bvirc

bvirc

I would like to know what is the max operating altitude for the Cali aux heater?
It is not mentioned in the VW documentation at all, although 1500 m is a typical altitude limit for both Webasto and Eberspacher heaters. So far I have used the heater up to 1700+ m without any problems. Anyway, I am looking forward to use it all over the Alps on the road passes above the 2000 m. Both Webasto and Eberspacher offer some kind of high-altitude upgrades, but I don't even know the exact model of the actual Cali aux heater.

I've got an official reply from Eberspeacher... As already mentioned on this forum, there is Airtronic D3 aux heater (B4 for petrol versions) installed in our T5 Californias.
It is adjusted to work at altitudes up to 1500 m. If you want to use it at higher elevations for longer stays (e.g. overnights), you need to upgrade it with "Electronic High Altitude Kit", part number 22 1000 33 22 00.
I think the cost of the upgrade is around 200 to 300 GBP and I will go for it, for sure. There are too many beautiful mountain passes in the Alps to miss them. :)

May I ask you for how many nights did you stay there?
I've read some discussions around, the problems usually don't arise immediately...

Can I ask a silly question?
Why/how does the altitude affect the working of the diesel heater...???

johntowers46 said:
Had mine working on summit of Mt Ventoux 1995m two years ago no problem

Same here , just one night at Ventoux...no probs.

Maybye the "thickness" of the air on high mountains may cause problems in some occasions ?

Would imagine it's the lower air pressure, so lower partial pressure of oxygen leading to less clean burning of diesel (more unburnt fuel in the exhaust). Maybe causes a buildup of deposits in the exhaust over time?

Guess the add on kit is either similar to a turbocharger (something to force more air in) or adjust the fuelling somehow?

I did this high altitude upgrade yesterday by an official Eberspeacher service allowing continuous long term use up to 2700 m. The total cost of the upgrade (that doesn't interfere with the original VW warranty) is cca. 400 EUR.
In 3 weeks I am going to Italian Dolomites for 10 days of ski mountaineering, planning to sleep at the mountain passes up to 2350 m. This will be the first real test of the upgrade.

Back