Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Loving my California Beach

M

mra321

Hello everyone,

I'm Mark from Blackheath in south east London. I hired a California last summer for a camping holiday with my four children (the children sleeping in the van, me in a pop-up tent outside). The California was not really an option for me permanently, as I often need more than five seats.

The Beach is a wonderful development. I know have a seven seater MPV; with the rear seats removed, it is a Transporter; but by night it is a camper. I lose the storage space and cooker / fridge / sink, but get a cool box for the rear. And I will simply add a camping cooker when I go away in it.

What does everyone else think? I'm interested in other owners' experience, although they haven't been around for long. I am particularly interested in:

- essential accessories (I have a bike rack and roof box so far);
- insurance;
- laws on overnight roadside parking and sleeping
- meet-ups with other owners

I'll browse the forum for postings on these subjects, but anyone who wants to post or email direct, please feel free!

Mark

Hi Mark, Welcome to the forum.

I think you may well be our first Beach owner !!

Hi Mark. I am a massive fan of the Beach for the reason you have stated. I am currently (I hope) in the middle of talking a deal to order one. I just need to check things out with the Boss :thumb .

I also need 5 seats, and had spent wuite a bit of time thinking that I would be as well going for a Caravelle. I would love to see some pictures, especially of the cool box as that is an accessory I am humming and haaing over.
I have looked at insurance through Comfort which comes with unlimited Green Card & mileage. VIP membership also gives an option for a 10% discount on certain insurance too.

What colour have you gone for?

We have a specific area for Meets. We just had one on Saturday and our next is planned for May. We are also considering an event in France for the autumn

Luke

Hi Mark, good to have you here. If you browse you'll get answers to those questions you pose specific to VW, as for your "overnight stops" try http://www.wildcamping.co.uk/ where you will find plenty. I have downloaded their UK wild camping info onto Google Earth.

Iain

Cool! We did have a look at these but decided to simply not have more kids (2 is plenty) and squeeze into a Cali!

Would love to see pics - not seen one anywhere - even at a dealers!

I have a Cali 180 - Saw the Beach at Campervantastic a few months back - was the first to be imported into the country - I very much liked the vehicle, great if you need more seats. I see it as a more flexible vehicle: transporter/ caravelle/ camper. I looked into the coolbox some time back and thought it was too small / expensive for our needs and for what it was, however it was very well made.
Does the Beach have a second battery in order to run the coolbox off grid?
cheers

Joe

joeaguilar said:
Does the Beach have a second battery in order to run the coolbox off grid?
cheers

Joe

Hi Joe. Yes it does.
Luke

Leicester VW Van Centre had a Beach in their showroom the last time I was in (2 March), for those close enough who want a look.

there is also a yellow beach at cooks van centre in peterborough
Dave

Stuart from vw Leicester is bringing a beach to Wicksteed park on sat of the meet :thumb
And I don't mean sand :rofl

I think I saw that one on eBay, looked like a good price, though unfortunately, didnt have the heater or the 7 seats I wanted.

Looks good though.

syrup1971 said:
I think I saw that one on eBay, looked like a good price, though unfortunately, didnt have the heater or the 7 seats I wanted.

Looks good though.

No - which I do think they are worth getting - we bought on price. i think if it comes to resale those things will be worth having.

I did try one with the heater in Tonbridge but it was 36k and although it had the extra seats, it did not have anything else - horses for courses isn't it?

In the end, due to the fact it is going to be a daily driver for me I stuck to the one at Cooks as it had the multi function steering wheel, privacy glass, front and rear sensors (a must!) and the awning (which was better than I expected) and it was a dealer demo with 11 miles on the clock. i added the excellent Kenwood multi media system and that was it.

But i do think the full 7 seats and heater is a good choice :)

James

We've been going round the loop on this. Last year we were about to buy a Caravelle Exec but wanted a poptop as well. Converting the roof meant loosing the climatronic, and it just seemed like a pain. We need the 5 seats so a Cali was always ruled out. We also looked at aftermarket conversions but didn't really like the finish on any of them.

Then they announced the Beach so we decided to sit tight and got to see one a couple of weeks ago. Seems perfect for us as a 5 seat, flexible dayvan that mixes up the Caravelle with the sleeping options of the Cali.

There have been a few more arriving at dealers over the last few weeks but It looks like we'll be ordering the spec we want as the dealer ones tend to be poverty spec with the double seat and "chest", or at least not close enough to what we want.

Spec is probably going to be:
Grey
3 seat rear,
Media in
Climatronic
Parking Heater
Awning
Heated washers
F&R Parking sensors
Privacy Glass
Cruise
Multi Function Wheel
Auto dimming rear mirror
Bluetooth
Towbar
RNS315 (What do people think of this? Too basic? )
Some alloys of some description

Has anyone specced the Xenons? I've had them on all my recent cars and I'm not sure I want to go back to halogen.

Anyone know the difference between the bluetooth kit and the premium bluetooth kit? Is the latter just voice activated?

Crell said:
We've been going round the loop on this. Last year we were about to buy a Caravelle Exec but wanted a poptop as well. Converting the roof meant loosing the climatronic, and it just seemed like a pain. We need the 5 seats so a Cali was always ruled out. We also looked at aftermarket conversions but didn't really like the finish on any of them.

Then they announced the Beach so we decided to sit tight and got to see one a couple of weeks ago. Seems perfect for us as a 5 seat, flexible dayvan that mixes up the Caravelle with the sleeping options of the Cali.

There have been a few more arriving at dealers over the last few weeks but It looks like we'll be ordering the spec we want as the dealer ones tend to be poverty spec with the double seat and "chest", or at least not close enough to what we want.

Grey
3 seat rear,
Media in
Climatronic
Parking Heater
Awning
Heated washers
F&R Parking sensors
Privacy Glass
Cruise
Multi Function Wheel
Auto dimming rear mirror
Bluetooth
Towbar

Has anyone specced the Xenons? I've had them on all my recent cars and I'm not sure I want to go back to halogen.

Anyone know the difference between the bluetooth kit and the premium bluetooth kit? Is the latter just voice activated?

There is grey dealer one for sale, I think through Autotrader but it won't be that spec. The problem with beach is that you are paying for the fact it is a beach (not the sand type). The spec you have listed is I guess sort of like a Velle Executive which you could have (second hand) with some change.

I personally wasn't go to pay for a parking heater - I fI had the money, then yes, I probably would. I would also have climtronic - though I have the Volvo system in my current car and I barely use it and it is a good system.

Cruise I think is good, it's good for the long drives and good for the economy which is why I guess the Bluemotion has it has standard.

Parking sensors and privacy glass seem good, again, I like having parking sensors, good back up! I have heard that the two seater version bed is more comfortable and slightly longer. But i would always go for the three bench for day to day practicality.

i think that's the spec I'd have if I had the choice.

James :)

Custard said:
Crell said:

Grey
3 seat rear,
Media in
Climatronic
Parking Heater
Awning
Heated washers
F&R Parking sensors
Privacy Glass
Cruise
Multi Function Wheel
Auto dimming rear mirror
Bluetooth
Towbar

There is grey dealer one for sale, I think through Autotrader but it won't be that spec. The problem with beach is that you are paying for the fact it is a beach (not the sand type). The spec you have listed is I guess sort of like a Velle Executive which you could have (second hand) with some change.

I personally wasn't go to pay for a parking heater - I fI had the money, then yes, I probably would. I would also have climtronic - though I have the Volvo system in my current car and I barely use it and it is a good system.

Cruise I think is good, it's good for the long drives and good for the economy which is why I guess the Bluemotion has it has standard.

Parking sensors and privacy glass seem good, again, I like having parking sensors, good back up! I have heard that the two seater version bed is more comfortable and slightly longer. But i would always go for the three bench for day to day practicality.

i think that's the spec I'd have if I had the choice.

James :)

Hi Crell.
Reading your post sounds almost identical to my own thought process and journey.
I asked about Xenons, and the collective wisdom is that it is a lot of money extra for an accessory which at the same time gives you an additional financial headache if you get a stone through the lens or a bump which needs a replacement unit.

I want the creature comforts of a higher spec for when I am driving long distances, so fully understand you wanting to up the spec - and it was having the additional sleeping flexibility which pushed me away from the 'Velle, but having test driven a couple I am a big fan of the heated seats and climatronic.

Luke

Crell said:

Can't help on the other points but i'm currently leaning towards having vag-tec fit a RNS315 (with DAB and bluetooth) rather than a RNS510 to my Cali. (which is coming with the DAB RDS310 from the factory)

The RNS315 has a smaller screen and no DVD playback (c/w 510) but seems to be a newer generation unit (hence the ability to support DAB). I've ruled out the kenwood option as I like the idea of directions appearing on the MFD. 315 also still supports the reversing camera (which 'I'm seriously considering as I plan to carry bikes on a tow bar mounted rack)

When I finally talk to vag-tec about it (I've been away in Asia Martin, so haven't had a change to call the MD directly yet) I'll hopefully have a better idea of the hidden pros and cons.

Simon