Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Long term fix for dodgy control panel knob whilst keeping original knob

-Goldie-Horn-

-Goldie-Horn-

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
This is no secret as I'm sure others have done this, but I thought I would post my success with fixing my dodgy control panel button in case it helps someone.

One easy option is of course to replace the control panel button with a new original part, but this will eventually develop the same fault i.e. the insides breaking up. Another, also easier, option is a new 3rd party made button, but some of these look very different to the original and may prompt a question from a future prospective buyer for the van.

The option I went for was from this seller from Gran Canaria:

In total it cost £41.94, which is obviously a lot for a tiny piece of plastic (though £15 or so was postage due to his location). But it's a good solution for a very specific problem for a premium vehicle by some guy with a good idea, so I don't begrudge it. He has a video online how to do it all, but it's in Spanish and a bit hard to follow.

In short, you have to scoop out the inside guts of the original button and stick in the new Spanish guts. Getting the old bits out entirely is the only tricky part of the whole procedure. I think that the more you are able to get out, the better the button will work when in place. I used needle nose pliers and small flat-head screwdriver and quite a long time scraping out what I could.

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 09.50.55.png

Then you simply glue the new bit in:

Screenshot 2024-04-26 at 09.51.12.png