Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Living with a toddler and dog onboard

F

Foley100

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Hi all,

Keen to get some thoughts from those who have been there before. I’m about to put down a deposit on a VW beach camper this week and should have my new Cali in time for the summer, if all goes to plan. My wife and I have spent a few summers in various motorhomes and loved it so much that we decided to push ahead with a camper of our own.

However, we now have a big golden doodle for company as well as a toddler . I’m still keen to push ahead as I’d love to share the experience with my daughter but keen to get opinions. In the early evening, when she needs to go down to bed, has anyone got any good advice for managing a toddler’s sleep routine on camp site?

I’m assuming getting an inflatable awning to attach to the camper would be useful so that you can put her to bed downstairs in the camper but then sit outside and relax for a few hours (weather depending)?

On the those days that the weather isn’t so great has anyone got tips for sharing the living space with a toddler in the evening? Are there accessories or specific travel cots anyone could point me to that help managing the day to day of travelling with a toddler and dog in the beach?

Very long message but appreciate any thoughts from those who have been through it all before.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We have a 6 month old and just keep to her normal routine.

If we not knackered ourselves we then chill in the drive away awning or read in the front seats. Or bed.

In the summer we’ll just use the wind out awning.

We both sleep up at the moment and she sleeps on the bench bed in a pop up crib.

We’ll swap that around when she is older.

We also have an airline buggy with saves a lot of space.

We have a 6 month old and just keep to her normal routine.

If we not knackered ourselves we then chill in the drive away awning or read in the front seats. Or bed.

In the summer we’ll just use the wind out awning.

We both sleep up at the moment and she sleeps on the bench bed in a pop up crib.

We’ll swap that around when she is older.

We also have an airline buggy with saves a lot of space.

Thanks. Good to know. Have you any suggestions for travel cribs/cots? What has worked for you?

Thanks. Good to know. Have you any suggestions for travel cribs/cots? What has worked for you?

The parcel shelf is usable as a crib on a coast/ocean. On the beach camper some sort of board to block off the exit would probably work.

Hi @Foley100 - welcome!

When camping with our youngest, the parcel shelf was an absolutely brilliant 'cot'. No way to roll out, and always within reach.

As for tips - just make sure you and the mrs go somewhere easy. If it's easy for you, easy for the little one and a good experience all round.

Cheers for the comments all. Very helpful. I’m pretty sure we can manage most situations but always good to hear what has worked for others.

I'd maybe ponder something other than a Cali. Sure, it can be done. There's lots of folk on here will happily take 4 people and a dog around Europe in their vans, but it seems like too much of an endurance test. We had a (cheap) LWB transporter conversion when our daughter was young. The main advantage was that we could pop up the travel cot in the space between the bottom of the bed and the rear seats. That space doesn't exist in a Cali. There are options across the front seats when they get a bit bigger, but again, it can get a bit cramped.
I'd look into larger or longer vehicles in your position, maybe a good T6 LWB conversation.

We ended up with this one. It's too wide, unfortunately, to sleep side by side, but fits perfectly widthways and leaves the seat area free.

Like this:

1711358530989.png

Hi @Foley100 - welcome!

When camping with our youngest, the parcel shelf was an absolutely brilliant 'cot'. No way to roll out, and always within reach.

As for tips - just make sure you and the mrs go somewhere easy. If it's easy for you, easy for the little one and a good experience all round.

Good to know! Just in order to picture this a bit better given I don’t own the vehicle yet. Is this set up with the bench seat still up and the baby between the bench and the back door on the flex board in their travel cot?

Something like this, if it works for you, would be great as it would allow us to keep some living area for the dog and the two of us in the evening. Just wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant.

Cheers

if that’s what you meant.
In coast or ocean you can do this without the cot. As mentioned earlier in your beach camper you'll probably need to work out some solution to the open gap.

Good to know! Just in order to picture this a bit better given I don’t own the vehicle yet. Is this set up with the bench seat still up and the baby between the bench and the back door on the flex board in their travel cot?

Something like this, if it works for you, would be great as it would allow us to keep some living area for the dog and the two of us in the evening. Just wasn’t sure if that’s what you meant.

Cheers

Yoss' post is correct :) We have an Ocean, so ours didnt have any gap etc. But the principle is the same, if you manage to deal with any gaps :)

Although every person and every child is different, I see no reason why you couldn't do this.

When we had a baby we'd have the stroller's crib on the kitchen, right next to our bed. After that both kids slept in the upper bed while we slept downstairs. We'd sit outside or inside when they were in the upper bed. In our T4 we've also had the biggest sleep on an inflateable air matress across the front seats and the smallest child in a makeshift bed above our feet in the lower bed when the weathe ror situation would not allow the poptop/upper bed to be up. These days in our T5.1 we sleep in the upper bed and the kids sleep in the lower bed. We sit outside or even inside in the turned chairs with our feet resting on the lower bed in which they sleep. Whatever you make them get used to is what they know and will come to accept/enjoy.

In coast or ocean you can do this without the cot. As mentioned earlier in your beach camper you'll probably need to work out some solution to the open gap.

Just wondering if having the three seat bench rather than the 2 solves this gap issue between the flex board and the bench? Something for me to investigate when I’m at the dealership tomorrow morning. Cheers

You might consider some of the different solutions available to turn the front cab into a children's bed. Try looking for Kiravans, Cabbunk, K'Foam, Carbest to get an idea.

On the subject of dogs, and not wanting one to travel in the boot or on a seat, is there any aftermarket removable lashing ring which can quickly be secured in the floor seatrails of a California to which you could attach a dog lead and harnessed dog? The dog could then be confined safely to the large floor area......the local VW Dealership can't find anything on their system.
(I would use the "search" option but it keeps coming up "Oops, try later")

We use a little lead for our doggo that secures onto the lower ring on the driver's seatbelt. https://amzn.to/4aLZSfq

Means we can attach her to it whilst driving, but equally when on sites, we can attach her lead to the van-attached one, giving her some (tethered) freedom

We use a little lead for our doggo that secures onto the lower ring on the driver's seatbelt. https://amzn.to/4aLZSfq

Means we can attach her to it whilst driving, but equally when on sites, we can attach her lead to the van-attached one, giving her some (tethered) freedom
Thanks for that but I'm after something which will fit into the floor seatrails with a ring on it that I could attach that sort of bungee lead to, rather than to a front (or rear seat). In that manner, two could be used for lashing down other items such as a folding bike.
I've seen a bracket (German make perhaps) for securing a portapotti to the seatrail, though obviously I dont need such a big (or costly) bracket, just a lashing eye.

Thanks for that but I'm after something which will fit into the floor seatrails with a ring on it that I could attach that sort of bungee lead to, rather than to a front (or rear seat). In that manner, two could be used for lashing down other items such as a folding bike.
I've seen a bracket (German make perhaps) for securing a portapotti to the seatrail, though obviously I dont need such a big (or costly) bracket, just a lashing eye.
We bought one of these to use to secure our folding bikes, it works very well:

When we don't have the bikes with us we could use it to secure our dog but we'd need the right attachment, any useful ideas for that would be very welcome!

Fair enough. Just to clarify, the above doesn’t fit into a seatbelt itself or into a chair - but the anchor point for the belt on the floor of the van (bottom of the B pillar).

On the subject of dogs, and not wanting one to travel in the boot or on a seat, is there any aftermarket removable lashing ring which can quickly be secured in the floor seatrails of a California to which you could attach a dog lead and harnessed dog? The dog could then be confined safely to the large floor area......the local VW Dealership can't find anything on their system.
Something to be aware of, travelling on the floor doesn’t agree with some dogs as the vibration can make them uncomfortable & sick.

We occasionally have our sons Golden Doodle with us. We use a stainless steel shackle fastened to the drivers lower seat belt connection as an anchor point when setting up, then a ground spike if possible. He loves camping btw, but he hates travelling in the van - no windows to look out of! Always a nervous poo on arrival at our destination :sad

We bought one of these to use to secure our folding bikes, it works very well:

When we don't have the bikes with us we could use it to secure our dog but we'd need the right attachment, any useful ideas for that would be very welcome!
This is more like what I'm after but I wonder if there is a "quick release" version of it out there.

Whatever solution you decide upon, please please please check that it's either been tested to hold an appropriate load (e.g. a rock climbing karabiner could provide your "quick release"functionality and is clearly marked as having been tested to a certain load) or, preferably, that it's been tested in a crash scenario. So many dog:car products would just disintegrate under heavy load. I wrote up some findings while researching the best option for our hound but would caution that that info is now four years old so there may be other newer products available. FWIW we ended up with the Ruffwear Load Up harness, which has rated and crash-tested webbing and hardware (such products are only as strong as the weakest link, clearly). I appreciate you were asking about a lashing point so may already have an appropriate harness, but I will always mention this because so many people drive around with highly questionable dog arrangements.

We purchased an ‘anchor’ fitting from the forum shop. Expensive for what it is but does the job. Was few years back so don’t know if they are still available.
You can just about spot it on the right bottom of the photo, attaches to the underside of floor rail, very secure.

IMG_4752.jpeg