Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

living with a heavy bike on the tailgate

N

Norseman

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 130
Hi, I've been wondering about what to do living with my new heavy e-bike. My tailgate won't stay open after raising it, and taking the bike off every time is not an option. I wonder how people solve this issue with a heavy load on the tailgate? I've been thinking about if changing the gas struts to something more heavy duty would work, or perhaps going for some American 2 inch hitch rack system, with a swing away bike rack. The last one though is not really legal in EU I think, which is a bummer, cause it looks quite convenient. How do you guys do it?

Hi, I've been wondering about what to do living with my new heavy e-bike. My tailgate won't stay open after raising it, and taking the bike off every time is not an option. I wonder how people solve this issue with a heavy load on the tailgate? I've been thinking about if changing the gas struts to something more heavy duty would work, or perhaps going for some American 2 inch hitch rack system, with a swing away bike rack. The last one though is not really legal in EU I think, which is a bummer, cause it looks quite convenient. How do you guys do it?
Towbar mounted bike rack.
Increasing the strength of the tailgate gas struts to cope may well lead to structural damage.

There is this swing away possibility which is for bike racks only. Not suitable for towing.
No idea if there is a Transporter version available

There is this swing away possibility which is for bike racks only. Not suitable for towing.
No idea if there is a Transporter version available

Interesting. Is it really legal though? Didn't think one could use a hitch system at all.

A standard tilting thule bike rack works great with giving access to the rear tailgate of a cali however westfalia have recently released a swing out mount but its gonna cost you https://shop.westfalia-automotive.com/accessory/350038600001
Yeah, I saw that there were this mod to the Thule Easyfold TX that could work, but it's quite pricy as well. I'm also used to have complete access to the back as well, and I think it would be hard to compromise. I actually have an old Thule I could use with this system, so this was really interesting. Would need a hitch system fitted though.

Interesting. Is it really legal though? Didn't think one could use a hitch system at all.
I think its legal for mounting a bike rack but not for towing anything - Our mini cabriolet wasn't approved for towing but still had a back rack mount & towing electrics fitted by the factory.

Looks like if you did want to tow you would have to get the spanners out & remove the complete assembly.

On the manufacturers details it does state:
The Van-Swing uses the existing fitting points on the towbar. In most cases the module can be fitted to the existing towbar. If you question if your towbar is suitable, contact your dealer or Memo to check. If there is no towbar fitted yet, we can supply towbars for most vans. The Van-Swing pivoting module is not suitable for towing.

Plenty of good suggestions, but back to the OP's post, fitting stronger struts is likely to make the boot almost impossible to close when there isn't a bike on it! They require a firm hand as it is . . .

Perhaps just use a normal bike when you take the van, rather than the e-bike. Will be cheaper than paying for towbar, wiring & rack.

How heavy is the e-bike? If not too heavy you can get inserts that slide over the struts to lock them out. They are ok for occasional / short term use.

Last edited:
Yeah, I saw that there were this mod to the Thule Easyfold TX that could work, but it's quite pricy as well. I'm also used to have complete access to the back as well, and I think it would be hard to compromise. I actually have an old Thule I could use with this system, so this was really interesting. Would need a hitch system fitted though.
Do you remove the battery when carrying your e bike? It is a legal requirement in some European countries.

I have a heavy full suspension emtb on my Thule xt3 which folds and clears the tailgate fine

View attachment 109418
Nice! It's a good compromise, and I will probably go for that one, if I can't make my swing away dreams come true. Makes sense with the ladder on the hitch, and the bike rack on the towing ball. I've been climbing my Fiama rack in the past to get to the "ski box", as we call them here, which is not quite by the book, but no problems so far though. This looks safer.

What about cover for the bike? Do you use it? Drive with it on? I would hesitate to leave the car without one. Bike is almost as expensive as the car..

Maybe use something like this, if it is occasional use. Rated to 40 kg each.

Not seen one being used so can’t recommend but several companies sell this type of prop

View attachment 109432
This is a quite cheap solution. Nice one, haven't seen this before! I used to use a telescopic barn painter device in the past. Then I bought an extremely lightweight bike as a solution, but there is still some issues. It's hard to put the cover on the bike when it's so high, and there is too much wind resistance when driving with it on. And I always scratch the roof...
But would be nice to have laying around anyhow I suppose..

Do you remove the battery when carrying your e bike? It is a legal requirement in some European countries.
Really? That's news to me. I know it's not legal to carry the battery with you on a plane, but to remove it while driving, sitting on the back of your car..? Seems a bit far fetched to me, but they might have their reasons. I think it´s a big hassle on mine to do that as well. It's made so to save weight I guess.

Really? That's news to me. I know it's not legal to carry the battery with you on a plane, but to remove it while driving, sitting on the back of your car..? Seems a bit far fetched to me, but they might have their reasons. I think it´s a big hassle on mine to do that as well. It's made so to save weight I guess.
It's because occasionally batteries can work loose with vibration and shock over pot holes, even if properly fitted. I wouldn't fancy my windscreen being hit by my 625w bosch powertube. I always add 2 velcro straps if not removing the battery. You can buy 'bungs' to stop the electrics getting wet and damaged.

Perhaps just use a normal bike when you take the van, rather than the e-bike. Will be cheaper than paying for towbar, wiring & rack.

How heavy is the e-bike? If not too heavy you can get inserts that slide over the struts to lock them out. They are ok for occasional / short term use.

B
Maybe use something like this, if it is occasional use. Rated to 40 kg each.

Whaat?? Then you haven't tried my bike ;) It's 22kg/48lb of emtb heaven. No It's coming with me for sure.

It's because occasionally batteries can work loose with vibration and shock over pot holes, even if properly fitted. I wouldn't fancy my windscreen being hit by my 625w bosch powertube. I always add 2 velcro straps if not removing the battery. You can buy 'bungs' to stop the electrics getting wet and damaged.
Aha I see. Wouldn't be a problem with this one as it sits securely inside the frame.

Towbar and Thule tipping XT3
Works a treat with heavy Whyte Ebike

Back