Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

List price discount

Brian’s Dad

Brian’s Dad

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
I live in Bristol, the dealer says VW suggest (support a 5-7%) discount, VW in Bristol offer a 5%, he said this to me quite transparently. Is it common to get 7% and above discount, particularly on bespoke orders? It obviously translates to quite a saving.

Thanks

Matt

My understanding is that 7% is the standard max discount but it's always possible to get a bit more. Just harder to find and helps if you've got a previous relationship with a dealer or VW salesperson.

Auto eBid claims 8% so I'll look into that too. I can't find the Cali on CarWow

Obviously the goalposts may have shifted now but have bought 2 calis from Guy in Preston in 2015 and 2016 and they were both around 10% discount.

We also received 10% discount what we did was send a blanket email to around ten dealers, discounts were different from every single one. In the end we had to travel 150 miles for the 10% discount and also got a bike rack thrown in.

If you want that little bit extra, try speccing a van to be used as a demonstrator for up to three months before delivery. We managed to squeeze a 14% discount out of SMG Tonbridge but had to wait nearly a year for delivery.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu
That's a great discount, I'll give them a call

We also received 10% discount what we did was send a blanket email to around ten dealers, discounts were different from every single one. In the end we had to travel 150 miles for the 10% discount and also got a bike rack thrown in.

Great deal, who did you go with?

I live in Bristol, the dealer says VW suggest (support a 5-7%) discount, VW in Bristol offer a 5%, he said this to me quite transparently. Is it common to get 7% and above discount, particularly on bespoke orders? It obviously translates to quite a saving.

Thanks

Matt

When I was looking to buy I telephoned Heritage Van Centre in Bristol and left my contact details and they didn’t even bother ringing me back. Ended up buying from Guy in Preston in the end. Caught the train from Parson St train station and it cost £38 one way.

We did exactly this. It was amazing how many didn't even bother to reply, probably knowing that others would easily undercut them.

We did exactly this. It was amazing how many didn't even bother to reply, probably knowing that others would easily undercut them.

Did you send your full spec through or just say Cali Ocean and engine size?

Full spec!

I did that with Coventry and spoke to one of their sales guys.
Nothing back.
I did get good communication through a guy called (Adrian) I think that’s his name, through Woburn Volkswagen Van Centre

I did that with Coventry and spoke to one of their sales guys.
Nothing back.
I did get good communication through a guy called (Adrian) I think that’s his name, through Woburn Volkswagen Van Centre

We use Wooburn Green for servicing and maintenance. Fantastic experience so far (2 services and a couple of warranty issues)

We use Wooburn Green for servicing and maintenance. Fantastic experience so far (2 services and a couple of warranty issues)

Good to hear...

My van has been at Coventry for the last 3 weeks. Twice I’ve asked for a part ex price and to discuss a new van. Still no phone call.
I’ve phoned the service department for something simple last week, to check if I had left a certain item in the van I needed. Never got back to me. Again, phoned twice.
Coventry Listers Van Centre, customer service is awful. Never ever use them is my advice....

For those outside the UK, I found that the big Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf to be the best place to buy. 17% off German list. Of course you have to get there, and also pick up the van in Germany when it is ready. Both trips are interesting though, especially if picking up at the factory, as the tour is included.

Obviously the goalposts may have shifted now but have bought 2 calis from Guy in Preston in 2015 and 2016 and they were both around 10% discount.
Would you give me the name/contact for guy in Preston - want to try him for new Cali and can't locate on Google. Thanks.

For those outside the UK, I found that the big Caravan Salon in Düsseldorf to be the best place to buy. 17% off German list. Of course you have to get there, and also pick up the van in Germany when it is ready. Both trips are interesting though, especially if picking up at the factory, as the tour is included.

Custom California Edition order would be lovely, if only they would let you configure them for right hand drive.

We’re currently using Vindis Van Centre in Northampton for our order. Tom Kelland, our sales guy, has been amazing. Kept me updated on all stages of the build and shipping. Did me a discount 8-9% on the list price and was very willing to work with me as I was pitching my business to about half a dozen dealers, most of which weren’t prepared to go anywhere the price I agreed with Tom.

I’m always intrigued with regards to what people claim they paid for their van and how much discount they received.
California dealers are selling vehicles like other car dealers and discounts can vary because of the quantity of vehicles they sell i.e. they get bonuses for the amount of vehicles they sell from the manufacturer and also they get extra an allocation of vehicles so they can reduce their margin accordingly.
Also it depends if they have a vehicle in stock. If they do then you are likely to get a better discount than on a factory order because they want to shift the vehicle and get your money. Also regarding bonuses if it’s a difficult time of year to sell cars e.g. around Christmas they will often discount vehicles in stock purely to reach their bonus targets.
How do I know this well the salesman told me such when I bought my van in December 2014.As he said “ Not many people buy campervans in December and another sale will boost our end of year bonus and allocation next year so you win and we win!”
Not many salesmen are they forthcoming.
On the up side I got a substantial discount on a new vehicle with lots of extras but on the downside I couldn’t choose colour or other extras etc. I might like.

I did make an enquiry at Heritage Bristol but they had nothing in stock at that time and the waiting list was over 12 weeks. So I went elsewhere.

May be we should look at seeing if a dealer would offer a discount to VW California Club members. If a dealer thought he might get a couple of extra sales that may get a better discount.
Also it may help if you want to buy at your local dealer as you can say that dealer x is offering 10% can you match it. Even dealers within the group will look to steal a sale. Failing that what about a list of email address' that you could send out a global email to.

Back