Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Limp Mode in Lons Le Saunier, France

Newchester2022

Newchester2022

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204
Has anyone had any good experiences with Mechanics in Lons Le Saunier or surrounding areas? It is a VW T6. Have been at a garage all day with not much going on & the Mechanics scratching their heads!

Has anyone had any good experiences with Mechanics in Lons Le Saunier or surrounding areas? It is a VW T6. Have been at a garage all day with not much going on & the Mechanics scratching their heads!
What is the issue exactly? just limp mode - any codes, symptoms?

What is the issue exactly? just limp mode - any codes, symptoms?
Firstly after market camera kept repeating itself (so we disconnected it) The glow light came on flashing followed by the engine management light then van went into limp mode & engine stop start warning sign came on saying unable to operate.
We made it to the campsite yesterday & went on to hook up & then noticed that the interior lights above the rear view mirror would go off now & then. Also when using any phone charge behind the B pillar (in which we think Is operated by the leisure battery) the phone keeps restarting, charging every 1 minute which it doesn't do in the front cab.
When we looked underneath the bonnet there was a pile of leaves like a nest & it looked like some of the foam had possibly disintegrated/chewed in front of the 12v battery.
This morning we took the van to a VW dealer who checked & said without giving us codes its possibly a turbo issue but would need further diagnosis but cannot do this until next week. Then went to another garage (not VW) and he checked diagnostics and also said it could be turbo failure but would need to check several other electrical items first before confirming which we have spent all day there to get to this point.
Sorry for the long post but wanted to explain it all. It doesn't feel like a turbo issue with the electrical things mentioned. It is a 2018 T6 and has done 20,000 miles.
Could my leisure battery be causing all the issues. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Firstly after market camera kept repeating itself (so we disconnected it) The glow light came on flashing followed by the engine management light then van went into limp mode & engine stop start warning sign came on saying unable to operate.
We made it to the campsite yesterday & went on to hook up & then noticed that the interior lights above the rear view mirror would go off now & then. Also when using any phone charge behind the B pillar (in which we think Is operated by the leisure battery) the phone keeps restarting, charging every 1 minute which it doesn't do in the front cab.
When we looked underneath the bonnet there was a pile of leaves like a nest & it looked like some of the foam had possibly disintegrated/chewed in front of the 12v battery.
This morning we took the van to a VW dealer who checked & said without giving us codes its possibly a turbo issue but would need further diagnosis but cannot do this until next week. Then went to another garage (not VW) and he checked diagnostics and also said it could be turbo failure but would need to check several other electrical items first before confirming which we have spent all day there to get to this point.
Sorry for the long post but wanted to explain it all. It doesn't feel like a turbo issue with the electrical things mentioned. It is a 2018 T6 and has done 20,000 miles.
Could my leisure battery be causing all the issues. Any info or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
It’s odd that they have both mentioned turbo after just 20k miles!
I tend to think there’s something going on with the electrics (post dash-cam fitment) but that wouldn’t affect turbo would it? Although rodents chewing wiring isn’t a new problem either, but that should be relatively easy to spot. Are you having any codes on the centre panel? You can do a diagnostic for all the habitation through that.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/resources/control-panel-diagnostics.195/

Odd that no codes are being read by VW.

Thanks for your reply Azteccamper,
I checked if there was any codes from which Walsh Gas had posted with nothing showing, also spoke with the guy who fitted the camera and to be on the safe side he guided me through disconnecting it from where he wired it in to just before the OBD, I had read many things which would bring on the flashing glow plug plus stop start unable to work, my gut tells me it’s not the turbo or unless that’s my pocket!!! Also my concern is the garage is dealing with lots of breakdowns out on the road with only one mechanic fixing one vehicle and the chap who’s running the show is the one looking at my Cail now and then!!
I might have to take a chance and head back there tomorrow and see what he says?
thanks again for your in put.

Have the batteries been allowed to go completely flat? I would have someone load test them to eliminate that being the source of the problem.
Next I would want to know exactly what codes were retrieved. If turbo, which one?
The fact you have evidence of rodent habitation would also point to a possible cause for the electrical gremlins. Good luck.

Good news we have managed to get a code today which is P22D400 which we believe indicates an issue with the turbo inlet valve position sensor circuit. Can anyone shed any light on this issue.

Possible that rodent damage to the wiring to the position sensor or a faulty sensor is causing issues.

Possible that rodent damage to the wiring to the position sensor or a faulty sensor is causing issues.
Hi Scott,
Thanks for the info.
As the van hasn't gone into limp mode, it just lacks power (can still get 3-4000 revs) I took the decision to try & make it to my destination where once I'm there I can give the Cali to a VW technician who can spend more time looking at possible issue. My feeling is possible rodent damage. Once I get a diagnosis I will update.

It might mean the battery isn’t getting charged by the alternator. Hopefully not rodent damage

Good news we have managed to get a code today which is P22D400 which we believe indicates an issue with the turbo inlet valve position sensor circuit. Can anyone shed any light on this issue.

HI all, just a bit of an update on the issues we have had with our Cali which is now with a VW franchise in Greece. He has given me another code G50080 I think it’s a position sender? He says it’s not so easy to get to to check if the wiring is at fault or the sensor, also he mentioned a fault showing the DPF, I’ll find out more tomorrow when I pop in to see him.

Back