Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

LHD California Pictures

James

James

Top Poster
VIP Member
Just looking through some German sites at LHD Cali's

Found this dealer, and they have some good pics of a two rather smart looking Cali's and two Beaches.

Check them out.

http://www.gs-automarkt.de/eu-fahrzeug- ... 194A10.php

There was a discussion at SMG on Saturday about why UK Cali's do not have the front windowscreen blinds. It was very kindly pointed out that the LHD Cali's have a different dash (as you can see) which means that the blinds, located in the A pillar cannot be fitted to UK Cali's as the dash is different.

I also think one of these Cali's appears to have auto lights and one of the Beaches the 'coming home function'.

Also, check out the Comfortline wheels, I rather like them.

James

i have a LHD calie .and never use the blinds on the front .there ok a bit of a pain to close .and a lot of day light comes though the gaps top and bottom .the dash is way better ,and a large bottle holder in middle bottom of the dash .to is good thing .

Ah, interesting. Whilst at a dealer recently we were scratching our heads over the apparant lack of front blinds, having seen them in the on-line pdf. Now it makes sense.

I did ask about the availabilty of LHD units in the UK. Our current California (T4) is LHD and I really like it. It's obviously nicer for European jaunts but I find it easer to place on the road from the left seat.

Perhaps purchasing from Germanyshire is the way forward?

S.

T5WOB said:
i have a LHD calie .and never use the blinds on the front .there ok a bit of a pain to close .and a lot of day light comes though the gaps top and bottom .the dash is way better ,and a large bottle holder in middle bottom of the dash .to is good thing .

Martin - yours does look awesome. Some nice mods :)

James

sidepod said:
Ah, interesting. Whilst at a dealer recently we were scratching our heads over the apparant lack of front blinds, having seen them in the on-line pdf. Now it makes sense.

I did ask about the availabilty of LHD units in the UK. Our current California (T4) is LHD and I really like it. It's obviously nicer for European jaunts but I find it easer to place on the road from the left seat.

Perhaps purchasing from Germanyshire is the way forward?

S.

We had this discussion before - personally if you do a lot of European travelling and you are fine with LHD it makes sense. You'll probably be able to get a better spec or at least more choice.

I don't know the ins and outs of importing a new LHD van, could be interesting to know.

James

There are a few people that have fitted the LHD front blinds to a RHD California. One such person has detailed the process in the following link:

http://www.vwt4forum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=22119

The images don't appear on the forum page but do load up in Flickr if you click on them. It does involve some trimming of the pillar cover to make it fit the RHD dash but apparently is quite easy apart from that. I have been toying with the idea of trying it but haven't really got the time at the moment.

I like both.

I've peered inside a couple of LHD Calis (and Multivans) and while the dash looks great in brochure pics, I reckon it doesn't wear as well. The ones I saw looked liked ageing Polos!

The blind does look useful but TBH, I don't mind the standard, mildly amusing blinds. The side ones are fine, the front one is a bit Heath Robinson but it does the job and most importantly, takes up very little room when packed up.

KernowLad said:
I like both.

I've peered inside a couple of LHD Calis (and Multivans) and while the dash looks great in brochure pics, I reckon it doesn't wear as well. The ones I saw looked liked ageing Polos!

The blind does look useful but TBH, I don't mind the standard, mildly amusing blinds. The side ones are fine, the front one is a bit Heath Robinson but it does the job and most importantly, takes up very little room when packed up.

I was almost more intrigued to see one of the vans had auto lights

James

Custard said:
KernowLad said:
I like both.

James

That would be rather handy but at least we have DRLs I guess! I often forget when switching between cars!

Custard said:

James

I've been on to this for quite a while but I just can't get my head around it at the moment.

James ref your earlier question of the blinds I can see the following listed -

Left Front Roller Sunblind 7H7 861 951 D ÂŁ85.67 x1
Right Front Roller Sunblnd 7H7 861 952 D ÂŁ85.67 x1

Spring Clip 7H0 867 331 A ÂŁ
Hexagon Socket Head Bolt N106 046 02 ÂŁ0.11 x2
Pop Rivet N910 034 01 ÂŁ0.68 x6

Securing Bracket Left Upper 7H7 861 703 ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Left Centre 7H7 861 703 A ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Left Lower 7H7 861 703 B ÂŁ2.41 x1

Securing Bracket Right Upper 7H7 861 704 ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Right Centre 7H7 861 704 A ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Right Lower 7H7 861 704 B ÂŁ2.41 x1

Support Upper Centre 7H7 067 392F ÂŁ3.31 x1
Support Lower Centre 7H7 861 571 ÂŁ1.97 x1
Hexagon Socket Head Bolt N105 150 02 ÂŁ0.17 x1

You'd also need to have the A pillar trims to suit.

Stu said:
James ref your earlier question of the blinds I can see the following listed -

Left Front Roller Sunblind 7H7 861 951 D ÂŁ85.67 x1
Right Front Roller Sunblnd 7H7 861 952 D ÂŁ85.67 x1

Spring Clip 7H0 867 331 A ÂŁ
Hexagon Socket Head Bolt N106 046 02 ÂŁ0.11 x2
Pop Rivet N910 034 01 ÂŁ0.68 x6

Securing Bracket Left Upper 7H7 861 703 ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Left Centre 7H7 861 703 A ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Left Lower 7H7 861 703 B ÂŁ2.41 x1

Securing Bracket Right Upper 7H7 861 704 ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Right Centre 7H7 861 704 A ÂŁ2.41 x1
Securing Bracket Right Lower 7H7 861 704 B ÂŁ2.41 x1

Support Upper Centre 7H7 067 392F ÂŁ3.31 x1
Support Lower Centre 7H7 861 571 ÂŁ1.97 x1
Hexagon Socket Head Bolt N105 150 02 ÂŁ0.17 x1

You'd also need to have the A pillar trims to suit.

Interesting - I am not sure it is worth it - but thank you for the part numbers. The A pillar trims have to be trimmed at the bottom as well.

James

Thanks for the part numbers Stu. I still quite fancy doing this when I get a chance and summon up the courage. My biggest worry is getting the A-pillar trims off. I'm very good at pulling bits of plastic off too hard and in the wrong place thus destroying the generally fragile clips that hold them in place.

For me it would be really nice to be able to just close off the front window from the inside. I often seem to arrive at places very late and in the rain. Both external covers and the standard internal tent pole arrangement are a bit of a pain in this situation.

Cheers
Mark

The trims come off real easy. Remove the two torx bolts securing the grab handle and remove the handle. Remove the speaker covers from the dash corners (they simply prise out) and pull the trim away from the top.

Simplessssssssssssssssssssss :thumb

So who is going to be first to do this? :)

Beach has transporter dash even in LHD markets so it's gt to be a full Cali.

James

Thanks Stu. Had a quick look this morning. How do you actually get to the Torx screws? Does the front/back of the grab handle prise off to reveal them? Can you recomend any trim removal tools? Prising things off with a screwdriver tends to mark/dent the plastic usually.

Mark

Cheers Stu. Just ordered myself a set of those. Pretty sure they will come in handy even if I don't get a chance to do the front blind mod.

Mark

Back