Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Levellers and getting levelled

Cali4nia

Cali4nia

VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 140
Hi
Might seem a daft question but the use of levellers, advice would be good.
Do you just use these like car ramps or do you strategically place one further under the wheel than tuther and with the aid of a spirit level gadget.
Or do I just go the pub to get levelled and won't know the difference.

The last one for me :laugh2 I have a set of levellers in the garage but never used them

I go with the "trategically place one further under the wheel than tuther and with the aid of a spirit level gadget." approach

Especially when I first arrive, after the second or third time I get a bit more slap dash!

Sometimes I wish I had 3 ramps to get it perfectly level, but that is a bit ocd and I remind myself to get a grip!!!

I am still on my firsy year of ownership but I use the levellers about 30-40% of the time.

T

I use a tiny bit of water in the sink as my spirit level.

Takes a bit of trial and error and often a bit of head scratching but we get it right in the end! We use thr Thule ones.

Calikev said:
The last one for me :laugh2 I have a set of levellers in the garage but never used them

Sounds good to me kev

KernowLad said:
I use a tiny bit of water in the sink as my spirit level.

Takes a bit of trial and error and often a bit of head scratching but we get it right in the end! We use thr Thule ones.

Cheers kernow

I used to use water in a glass, placing it on the glass cover over the gas rings.

I have now bough a cheapie caravan spirit level with two indicators at right angles. It is maybe 5cm long. It is designed to be screwed into the vehicle. But I placed my van on a flat garage floor to check the cheapo level and it is accurate enough and easier to use than the glass of water approach. It is also v small

His sort of thing
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/380366485971? ... 80&ff14=54

for those using iDevices, there's a lot of app with buble levels. I use one called "Clinometer" and I put it over the lid of the sink. Works great.

We use the sliding door for front to back levelling and go by eye for side to side.

Open the door half way, if it shuts itself or opens the rest of the way by itself, you aren't level :D

Dibz said:
We use the sliding door for front to back levelling and go by eye for side to side.

Open the door half way, if it shuts itself or opens the rest of the way by itself, you aren't level :D

Doesn't work for those of us with electric sliders unfortunately!
I've got one of those spirit level apps but never use it.
I do it by eye and stagger my chocks sometimes but they're quite shallow so I can't always get it as level as I'd like.
If I can't get it level I make sure the back of the cali points downhill as there's nothing worse than trying to sleep with your feet higher than your head :smile:

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

Apologies if this sounds a bit anoraky, but this is simpler and more useful than it sounds: if you have the flexibility to point whatever direction you want, use your natty little two-way spirit level to park up the Cali so that you are level either left right or front back. Then just use the levelers in a straightforward way to level on the other axis - no need to raise the wheels to different heights.

It does work, honest. Then follow up with the beer anyway.

I can rarely be bothered and often end up sleeping on a slope!

Californiaman said:
I can rarely be bothered and often end up sleeping on a slope!
I usually end up rolling onto the wife. :laugh2 :laugh2

I think i've used my little levellers in anger a few times this year .....tend to park quite level anyway and if on a slope i make sure its in my favour :smile .....
if it's that bad then i'm out of there ... :bananadance

Like Calikev, I've a set of levellers still in their wrapping in the garage, not used them in the last four years. Don't bother taking them away now.

Travel light, travel far.

Hubert

Given the almost complete lack of other chores when reaching a campsite - tent erection, guy lines, unpacking etc- I really enjoy playing get the van level ;-)

gatvol said:
I used to use water in a glass, placing it on the glass cover over the gas rings.

Also useful if there are Tyrannosaurus Rexes around! :lol:

We have a couple of ramps, but it has to be really bad for us to use them. Our single spirit level often doesn't show a bubble, and still we sleep comfortably upstairs.

I started off by using a bottle of beer. I would drink half and then use what is left in the bottle to work out if we are level. Sadly by that point, I can rarely be arsed and just drink more beer.

Back