Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery maintenance.

R

roadrunner 45

Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
Hello,
We have brought a used VW California and I am not sure on the correct procedure to maintain a healthy leisure battery, at the moment I don't have anything to connect it to the mains.
What do I require and where do I buy it from?
How often should I connect it when it's sat on my drive between tripa?
Is there anything else I should know or be doing to the battery?

Thanks for your help.

First of all, welcome to the forum.

Snowy has just beaten me to it. Everything he has said.

Alan

Hi there

The manual suggests that you charge for at least 12 hours once a month. I strongly suggest you read the California Manual cover to cover. It will save you a lot of time in the long run.

What you need depends on what you already have in terms of outside power but most need something like this.

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/maypole-caravan-extension-230v-10m-site-lead-p333455

Which you will also need on a campsite for hook up and something like this

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/maypole-230v-uk-hook-up-lead-p333685 To plug in at home.

I hope that helps

Thanks for your help.
I have purchased advised parts and works fine.

Is there anything we should be doing to maintain the leisure battery at all please?

Charge them once a month if you don’t use the vehicle or install a solar panel that will keep them charged if you park outside.
Roger Donoghue supplies a custom made panel and everything else you would need. Search the forums and you’ll find him.

Good afternoon,

As far as I know the leisure battery won't need any service as such. There are two things to keep in mind. 1.) ensure that the batteries won't discharge to low and 2.) charge the batteries best every month.

Myself, I keep this in mind and hope doing so to keep the batteries as long as possilbe in working order.

Happy California.
Eberhard

Use them as well! If they arnt used and discharged some from time to time the cells may dry out.

To minimise discharge manual advises to remove 5A fuse for water pump and 30A fuse for electric roof

Back