Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery drain

deltheblue

deltheblue

Vehicle
T5 SE 174
After looking on the forum regarding this issue I could not find anything specific to mine so here goes...

After coming back from holiday I noticed the side door was struggling to open,mine is definitely fed from the leisure batteries, after being on the drive a few days so checking control panel it was on 0% nothing plugged in so I've charged it a couple of times and checking the panel each day after 3 days it's back on 0%.

So I've taken it to a reputable auto spark to check the batteries etc and they're fine but there's a drain and he's now got it down to the control panel draining the batteries.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and whether it's a faulty panel as mine is under warranty with vw.

After looking on the forum regarding this issue I could not find anything specific to mine so here goes...

After coming back from holiday I noticed the side door was struggling to open,mine is definitely fed from the leisure batteries, after being on the drive a few days so checking control panel it was on 0% nothing plugged in so I've charged it a couple of times and checking the panel each day after 3 days it's back on 0%.

So I've taken it to a reputable auto spark to check the batteries etc and they're fine but there's a drain and he's now got it down to the control panel draining the batteries.

I guess I'm wondering if anyone has had a similar problem and whether it's a faulty panel as mine is under warranty with vw.
As far as I am aware a Full Electric Sliding Door is powered by the Engine Battery. Plenty of reports of owners flattening the Engine Battery by overuse of the Sliding Door when not on Hookup.
Yours must be very unusual.

If the Leisure Batteries are OK, have you had the Earth Shunt modified? This is a common problem on T5 California’s from 2003 to 2007 or thereabouts.
The Control Panel uses the Earth Shunt to correctly monitor the Leisure Batteries.

If yours is a 2004 as it says in your avatar did you check if the bats. are changed uptill now?
How can this still be warrenty after 14y ?

As far as I am aware a Full Electric Sliding Door is powered by the Engine Battery. Plenty of reports of owners flattening the Engine Battery by overuse of the Sliding Door when not on Hookup.
Yours must be very unusual.

If the Leisure Batteries are OK, have you had the Earth Shunt modified? This is a common problem on T5 California’s from 2003 to 2007 or thereabouts.
The Control Panel uses the Earth Shunt to correctly monitor the Leisure Batteries.
Hi Welshgas appreciate the reply I have mentioned the earth shunt to the spark but with regard to the sliding door when the batteries are showing 0% and the door wont open or close properly the van has no problem starting however he says when disconnecting the control panel the drain ceases

If yours is a 2004 as it says in your avatar did you check if the bats. are changed uptill now?
How can this still be warrenty after 14y ?
Had the control panel replaced last year fitted by vw with 2 yr warranty as for the batteries I've no idea when they were replaced I'll have to check the stack of receipts I have but they're all In German but spark has checked them and ssid they're good

Ah , ok you have a warrenty on your replaced control panel.
You can switch the panel off and see if the bats. still drain , actually it's lways good to switch it full off when not in use for longer periode.
But i doubt this the control panel is the cause of your battery drain .
Most likely old batterys that needs change in combi with the earth shunt .

Ah , ok you have a warrenty on your replaced control panel.
You can switch the panel off and see if the bats. still drain , actually it's lways good to switch it full off when not in use for longer periode.
But i doubt this the control panel is the cause of your battery drain .
Most likely old batterys that needs change in combi with the earth shunt .
I'll mention the earth shunt to him again tomorrow but he's said he's done all the turning off etc and there's still a drain I'm going to go and see him tomorrow and mention the things you good people have said cheers

Just an update.....

It turns out my spark not happy with the results of the battery test removed the leisure batteries and replaced them with brand new car batteries for 5 days with no drain on them so it concludes that my batteries need replacing however there is no earth shunt issue which is a plus.....

He's rewired two of the side interior lights,changed the German into english on the dash and given the van an electrical clean bill of health all for £90 what a guy....I gave him £100.

One side note he has confirmed my side sliding door is 100% powered by the leisure batteries and not from under the bonnet

Is the electric slider a later conversion? I didn't think it was an option on a 2004 van.
In fact what year is the van ? it wouldn't be 180 if it was made in 2004.

Is the electric slider a later conversion? I didn't think it was an option on a 2004 van.
In fact what year is the van ? it wouldn't be 180 if it was made in 2004.
Yes manufactured with electric sliding door and it is a 2004

Do you mean the electric latching on the sliding door ?
I think you might find that yours is a 174 not 180

Do you mean the electric latching on the sliding door ?
I think you might find that yours is a 174 not 180
No I mean push button on key fob and door opens by itself then push again and door closes by it's self and the electric latch pulls the door tight