Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leisure battery down despite solar

edocali

edocali

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I have a single solar panel from Roger which has served me very well for 3 years.
Now … I have left the Cali in a sunny outdoor parking for a full week, in sunny northern Italy.
I left the fridge to level 1 the minimum and pulled all curtains to limit the internal heat.
Today as I picked the van up, I saw the battery display showing 0 , flashing (see pic).
I took a photo of the panels charger and to me it showed as charging healthily
Moreover, Fridge was still cold and two hours driving brought it back to a 100%

What could be the issue ? In the past I had already kept the fridge on for many days but never had a battery issue.

IMG_2646.jpegIMG_2645.jpegIMG_2644.jpeg
Should I get the leisure battery replaced already?

I have a single solar panel from Roger which has served me very well for 3 years.
Now … I have left the Cali in a sunny outdoor parking for a full week, in sunny northern Italy.
I left the fridge to level 1 the minimum and pulled all curtains to limit the internal heat.
Today as I picked the van up, I saw the battery display showing 0 , flashing (see pic).
I took a photo of the panels charger and to me it showed as charging healthily
Moreover, Fridge was still cold and two hours driving brought it back to a 100%

What could be the issue ? In the past I had already kept the fridge on for many days but never had a battery issue.

View attachment 111688View attachment 111689View attachment 111690
Should I get the leisure battery replaced already?
No, just ignore the % reading and depend on the accurate Voltage reading.
Your battery is fully charged and the Solar Controller is in Float mode.
The % is a true guesstimate based on the amps used BUT it doesn't know about the amps put in by the Solar panel.SoC-AGM.jpg

Many thanks!
The voltage I read is not however for the battery really at rest as it is connected to both the solar and powering the fridge.

Many thanks!
The voltage I read is not however for the battery really at rest as it is connected to both the solar and powering the fridge.
I know, but the Solar monitor is showing a Float voltage as is your Control Panel. When the sun sets the voltage will drop back to 12.7 v or thereabouts and drop a little further overnight with the fridge on. When the sun rises the voltage will rise to 14.4v to fully charge the leisure batteries and after a short while drop to the float voltage once again. If the voltage drops to 12v or less, overnight with the fridge on Level 1, then you have a problem. It won't.
Once you start the engine or plug into EHU the % value will correct itself.

thinking back, when in previous years I kept the fridge always on, I think I have usually driven the van for at least 30mins every two days or so. That may be why I never got down to 0%

Back