Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Leaking tailgate

I

icic

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Opened up the tailgate today and had a shock, loads of mould. A few weeks ago the blind stared smelling so took it to Dealer who said there was no leak. I decided to replace the blind anyway as it smelled so bad. Looks as though there still is a leak.

It’s a 2019 ocean so the break light issue should be fixed. Checked the seals and they all seem good. In the image there is a rubber bung at the base of the door, every time you open the door a bed of water runs out (and it’s not been raining for over a day) so there must be a leak somewhere, leaking into the door structure. There is no visible water entry apart from what comes out of the bung. I have put gaffa tape over the break light for now (does gaffa tape harm paintwork ?) Anywhere else’s might a leak be located at if it’s coming through that bung. Don’t think it will condensation as have been running a dehumidifier in the van while on hook up plus loads of ventilation. Anything else I should gaffa up, as can’t get to the dealer for 3 weeks. Or suggested Places to look for a leak.

450AA04B-FF14-445B-8C13-A754085DDBFF.jpeg

1D9117D2-29CC-4F9E-9E3F-AFE438AB6D73.jpeg

D723BDCF-3F3D-4B5A-A05B-406F4937BF2F.jpeg

Hi icic,
Just a thought. Have you checked that the rear window seal is intact?

Take it to the dealer to sort out, as a minimum the mouldy panel needs to be replaced, you will never get rid of the musty smell there is now mildrew inside the panel

Check the rubber unbiblical between the tail gate and body
as GG say check window bonding
there is no way any water should pass the boot seal the water from the roof is routed between the tail gate and body panels, the rubber seal should kerp out all water, if water is getting in.
the issue is not for you to fix, highlighting to your dealer should be enough to make them remove the internal trim panels and investigate

Can I ask what the best way is to check the window seals ? it’s 3 weeks before it can go to the dealer and it’s not garaged, so anything to reduce the water coming in for now

Mine did this. I think it was condensation, I fitted an internal thermal screen, which I leave in place permanently, and it’s been fine since.
Mould killer spray and cleaning worked on the bag. Every time I opened the boot lots of water would slowly run out.
I have a single glazed rear screen with wiper, and sleep in my van every night.

Mold?

Mine did this. I think it was condensation, I fitted an internal thermal screen, which I leave in place permanently, and it’s been fine since.
Mould killer spray and cleaning worked on the bag. Every time I opened the boot lots of water would slowly run out.
I have a single glazed rear screen with wiper, and sleep in my van every night.
For reference Lightning, where was the water running out of? The tailgate itself or the bag?

Can I ask what the best way is to check the window seals ? it’s 3 weeks before it can go to the dealer and it’s not garaged, so anything to reduce the water coming in for now

Do you sleep in the van full time?

to seal the rear window, Tape around the perimeter of the glass / bodywork with duct tape or similar.
remove the bung and get the internal panel dried out as best as possible, put some silica crystals near the damp panel, or use a dehumidifier
Failing that move everything away from the wet panel, run the diesel heater or as long as practical to keep the heat-up in the van, crack the sliding windows open 1 notch to allow the moisture to dissipate

Can I ask what and how the internal screen is

For reference Lightning, where was the water running out of? The tailgate itself or the bag?
A steady stream of water would run out from around the bag, slowly but for several minutes. I could never see the source.

Been sleeping in the van for the last two weeks, but have a dehumidifier running. Been monitoring the RH never over 55%. I’m surprised that could be condensation, can I ask how you did the internal thermal screen. To Asher the other question can see any water apart form what comes out of the bung

Can I ask what and how the internal screen is
It’s just made to fit, reflectix on one side, felt the other and several layers of bubble wrap between, and suckers to hold it in place. From Fuel Lagoon, but better options are available.

Ok I get what you mean, I’m also using a thermal screen the Brandrup one. Did you find that the screen stoped the water leaking ? If so Its looking like a exterior leak again, if you factor in a dehumidifier, heating on and ventilation ?

Remember this....

Ok I get what you mean, I’m also using a thermal screen the Brandrup one. Did you find that the screen stoped the water leaking ? If so Its looking like a exterior leak again, if you factor in a dehumidifier, heating on and ventilation ?
With single glazed windows I think you will probably still get condensation if it’s colder outside than inside, even with the dehumidifier and heat on. I don’t have a dehumidifier but I do keep it warm. It stops condensation not leaks. Do you get any condensation on the windscreen or tailgate screen in the morning? You would see it with blinds open.

Do Brandrup make a thermal screen for the rear window?

No condensation on the front screen, small amount on rear window occasionally, but mainly not. Here is a link to the Brandrup screen

No condensation on the front screen, small amount on rear window occasionally, but mainly not. Here is a link to the Brandrup screen

Mine used to get lots of condensation, so yours may well be a leak. Thanks for the link.

Opened the tailgate up and found this this morning. Looks like condensation. Interesting as none was on the window. The RH of the van was 45 all night due to dehumidifier and heat, plus windows open under wind defectors both sides. But it seems to make no difference at the back. Putting my hand down under the mattress at the back, it’s cold. So all the methods to stop condensation in the front cabin, don’t work down there. I suppose it’s worth trying a tailgate lock to get ventilation into that area ? Bit nippy maybe at this time of year. If it’s so cold down their that it creates so much condensation, I’m surprised this is not happening more often in oceans. But tailgate lock and ventilation their should help

7678E3AC-DF95-4DA8-85A7-1E9EE9780351.jpeg

When I say tailgate lock, I mean the Brandrup airsafe ..

I camped with 2 dogs and had lots of condensation on the front windscreen, never a the back like you are describing.
I would also travel regularly with 4 damp dogs and again, never this dampness.

Or does having cold air coming in there at this time of year maybe make it worse ? I put the airsafe in now and see what happens to that condensation over the next couple of hours

AC7EB3F0-90B9-4412-8261-7FB3B6663B47.jpeg

Or does having cold air coming in there at this time of year maybe make it worse ? I put the airsafe in now and see what happens to that condensation over the next couple of hours

View attachment 69661
I’d put the heating on quite high with the air safe and front windows slightly open.
Alternatively if you have a good dehumidifier, have heating on high with everything closed up and run the dehumidifier.

That’s interesting that with dogs no condensation back there. I no longer have condensation anywhere but back there due to dehumidifier which is on high. It’s a Medco junior so yes good dehumidifier.. Ummm maybe a combination of things

Thoroughly dry everything that is damp and keep doing it on a regular basis, try to reduce the water on all surfaces within the “sealed part of the vehicle, otherwise the water will vaporise,recirculate and form more condensation when the warm air carrying moisture hits a cold surface.

It doesn’t look right to me ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That’s interesting that with dogs no condensation back there. I no longer have condensation anywhere but back there due to dehumidifier which is on high. It’s a Medco junior so yes good dehumidifier.. Ummm maybe a combination of things
That’s why I mentioned it. Just seems odd to me to have so much dampness. I think there must be a leak somewhere. I hope you get it sorted. The pictures of the mould look quite horrifying.

Has the vehicle been valeted recently? Wet vac or similar?
Have you had the van a long time ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back