Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Larger Tyres and Effect.

J

Jester

Top Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 680
I have tried searching the forum for a related thread before asking for your knowledge.

I'm contemplating changing my wheels to something more rugged along with the tyres. the wheel size diameter will not change from 17" but the tyres will increase from 235/60/17 to 245/70/17 and a more rugged tyre like BFG KO 02.

My concern is how it will effect the speed and the mileage as I think both will raise. Is it possible to re calibrate the speedometer or the digital display.

Thought I would put it on general chat as wider knowledge. Oh its a GC.

Thanks in advance.

Will

Run the sizes through this. Will give you an exact difference in the Speedo and odometer.

I would assume it's the same as the transporter/California in that changing the calibration will require software change and that there may be restrictions involved - eg. T6 vans can go up and down with software however T6.1s it is a one way street, on it goes up it can't go back down.

Whether you require this is up to you. I have 20s on my van which gives the Speedo an exact match to GPS speed.

Im ok with that and just bear in mind that I have a smaller safety net for speed cameras. If the Speedo was under reading I would feel very different and would be a higher priority to change for me.

I have put 17” Black Rhino Alloys and BFG KO’s on my GC680 around 8 months ago, the speedo seems to only be out by +1-2mph, so I have not seen the need to have it calibrated. I never really bothered to measure the mpg before or after, again didn’t really see the need as I assume I am probably getting a little less than before. I have had these tyres on a previous Mitsubishi L200 and yes there is a little road noise from the tyres, but I am very happy with the look and performance. This weekend I also fitted VW/MAN wheel arch trims so that they now cover the additional width of the tyres. Be sure to check that you get the correct weight rating for the wheels/tyres.

Last edited:
I have put 17” Black Rhino Alloys and BFG KO’s on my GC680 around 8 months ago, the speedo seems to only be out by +1-2mph, so I have not seen the need to have it calibrated. I never really bothered to measure the mpg before or after, again didn’t really see the need as I assume I am probably getting a little less than before. I have had these tyres on a previous Mitsubishi L200 and yes there is a little road noise from the tyres, but I am vepry happy with the look and performance. This weekend I also fitted VW/MAN wheel arch trims so that they now cover the additional width of the tyres. Be sure to check that you get the correct weight rating for the wheels/tyres.

Need pics please Dave!

I have tried searching the forum for a related thread before asking for your knowledge.

I'm contemplating changing my wheels to something more rugged along with the tyres. the wheel size diameter will not change from 17" but the tyres will increase from 235/60/17 to 245/70/17 and a more rugged tyre like BFG KO 02.

My concern is how it will effect the speed and the mileage as I think both will raise. Is it possible to re calibrate the speedometer or the digital display.

Thought I would put it on general chat as wider knowledge. Oh its a GC.

Thanks in advance.

Will
I done the same on my first joker went from 215/60/17 to 225/65/17 BFG mpg dropped about 4mpg noise felt similar (hightop is already noisy).
Lots seem to be doing it on a crafter, would be on my list if I get a crafter/GC

You can get after market ones that cover the whole wheel arch, but I preferred the MAN/VW ones being a little more suttle, well that what I thought! transporter HQ have a “how to” video on YouTube :thumb

You can get after market ones that cover the whole wheel arch, but I preferred the MAN/VW ones being a little more suttle, well that what I thought! transporter HQ have a “how to” video on YouTube :thumb
Yes, like these: (pic stolen from the UK GC Facebook group)
IMG_0271.jpeg

I done the same on my first joker went from 215/60/17 to 225/65/17 BFG mpg dropped about 4mpg noise felt similar (hightop is already noisy).
Lots seem to be doing it on a crafter, would be on my list if I get a crafter/GC
Thanks for your input, MPG drop is alot more than I expected. I do alot of touring so soon mount up!

Run the sizes through this. Will give you an exact difference in the Speedo and odometer.

I would assume it's the same as the transporter/California in that changing the calibration will require software change and that there may be restrictions involved - eg. T6 vans can go up and down with software however T6.1s it is a one way street, on it goes up it can't go back down.

Whether you require this is up to you. I have 20s on my van which gives the Speedo an exact match to GPS speed.

Im ok with that and just bear in mind that I have a smaller safety net for speed cameras. If the Speedo was under reading I would feel very different and would be a higher priority to change for me.
Really thank you for the information within your thread, very informative with regards to a larger tyre effect particularly upon the speedo and ride height

Dave looking great, it what I’m looking for, what size tyres are they please.
Will

Great Photos Dave, Thank you can you please advise upon the tyre size.
Will
Hi Will - tyres are:
I purchased all 5 wheels and tyres (I have the spare mounted on the back) from Elite Wheels and Tyres in Reading, I found them great to deal with and they ship across the county, mine arrived next day, tyres fitted to the wheels and just took them to my local Tyre place who charged £10 a wheel to fit. Also included a couple of photos with the spare wheel carrier fitted. I had this done by Wheeliams.co.uk again great guys to deal with. The picture looks like the rear window above the spare wheel may not open, but it actually opens fully.
DaveIMG_2385.jpegIMG_2384.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for your input, MPG drop is alot more than I expected. I do alot of touring so soon mount up!
If it’s just for looks then I wouldn’t bother.
BFG less likely to pick up a flat and if you venture onto the green stuff less likely to get stuck.
The Mpg on the joker was at worst 28-32 with BFG I know the crafter starting mpg is supposed to be 28 so you could be down to low 20s hopefully someone with them on here will give you the proper figures.

BFG less likely to pick up a flat and if you venture onto the green stuff less likely to get stuck.
The Mpg on the joker was at worst 28-32 with BFG I know the crafter starting mpg is supposed to be 28 so you could be down to low 20s hopefully someone with them on here will give you the proper figures.
Thanks for that, I’m veering towards not going that way now for a number of reasons ie we tour a lot, tend not to go off road, only grass pitches Speedo inaccuracy and yes just for looks oh and 2.2k

Yes on average, we get between 28 and 32 however whilst in Spain we hit 40.1 Amazingly