Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Ladder

GrumpyGranddad

GrumpyGranddad

Super Poster
Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Buying bits and pieces ahead of taking delivery of my Cali Ocean. What’s the general view of using a ladder for access to the roof bed? Necessary or not? I’m approaching 70 and reasonably fit.

We've just bought one from the club shop as our 5 yr old boy causes mayhem trying to climb up or down. It seems well put together although the metal joining section is badly finished with sharp edges - not impressed given the cost.

We've just bought one from the club shop as our 5 yr old boy causes mayhem trying to climb up or down. It seems well put together although the metal joining section is badly finished with sharp edges - not impressed given the cost.
Thanks for the feedback, I imagine we’ll have a similar issue with our grandchildren.

I bought one (not from Cali shop) and whilst I thought it was pricey, it made going up and down a lot easier and stress free. Also handy around the house too...

Does anyone use a simple collapsing ladder like this? Or is storage of this type of ladder worse than the typical 2 piece?
88D5CD66-E995-4136-A16A-E0867079049B.png

Buying bits and pieces ahead of taking delivery of my Cali Ocean. What’s the general view of using a ladder for access to the roof bed? Necessary or not? I’m approaching 70 and reasonably fit.
We have one from club shop, expensive but worth it to avoid breaking an armrest or damaging the seat.

In the middle of the night, if I wake up bursting for the loo, the last thing I want to do is jump or scramble down ;).

Does anyone use a simple collapsing ladder like this? Or is storage of this type of ladder worse than the typical 2 piece?
View attachment 64091
That’s the same type as I bought. The one I got just sits perfectly against the bunk with just the top two ladder pieces extended. A step on the edge of the seat, then the ladder and up you go. Same coming down. And it stores behind passenger seat (RH drive).

Save your money and get one of these. Hang it on the headrest.

View attachment 64091
Make sure it fits between the front seats when erect
i got one of those extendable ladders given to me and
it needed the bottom cutting off for it to fit between the seats,
i haven't cut it off yet but I've been thinking about it for the last
8yrs :D

I might need something more rigid after a few glasses of red :)

I might need something more rigid after a few glasses of red :)
Swivel a front seat around , hang it on the headrest and it lays on the seat back. Does’nt swing and each step is deep making it easier to step on in bare feet.
Ladders, expensive, difficult to store easily and can be a real pain in bare feet if they have thin steps.

Works well with G & T.

Thanks, good advice.

I copied this and made my own

How many steps do you have?

A ladder? Why on earth would I need that? And where to stow while driving?

Do you need one? I don't know. Can you get to the top bed without it? Have you tried it?
I'd suggest to try before buy.

I guess it all depends on how tall you are, and what the ratio between your legs and your body is. And of course your fitness.
I am quite tall (195cm), and have long legs, so I don't need a ladder.
I can understand people who do need one, but I hope I won't need one ever.
I never step on the arm rests, and not on the middle of the seat. I gently push myself up on the side of the seat.
Knocked my knees a few times while getting down, possible with staying damage, but using a ladder would be even harder for me.

My wife had some fairly major surgery last year.

It meant that we could use the van a lot whilst she recuperated, but for a little while she could not pull her self up on to the top bed.

I bought a telescopic ladder. As long as the seats are pulled forward, it worked well.

We also have a roof topper for bad weather protection.

Using the telescopic ladder makes putting on/off the topper is a real doddle now....even when it is blowing a gale and raining.

You can not do this with the internal ladder!

We store it in the area beneath the lower bed frame.

When I first got my Cali in 2008, I stepped up on the front seat armrest to get upstairs. It broke, and cost me over £300 to replace! I then bought a Fiamma 2-piece aluminium ladder, and have been using it ever since. Prop it sideways up to the top floor, with the base resting against the handbrake. Bloody brilliant, and easily packs into the rear boot area when split (or in the leg-areas behind the turned-round front seats). Trouble is, I don't think they make them any more.

View attachment 64091
We have a 2m version, £35 on Amazon that is fine when the front Passenger seat is turned around, only need a couple of steps extended. But it is a bulky item to carry around. I’m going to check out the rope ladder suggestion next ;)

When I first got my Cali in 2008, I stepped up on the front seat armrest to get upstairs. It broke, and cost me over £300 to replace! I then bought a Fiamma 2-piece aluminium ladder, and have been using it ever since. Prop it sideways up to the top floor, with the base resting against the handbrake. Bloody brilliant, and easily packs into the rear boot area when split (or in the leg-areas behind the turned-round front seats). Trouble is, I don't think they make them any more.
After all the views and great ideas I’ve gone for the 2-piece one in the club shop. Expensive yes, but think it’s the best option for my wife and I. Useful for roof access as well as I intend to fit a solar solution from Roger but not have the curly cable permanently attached. I’ll need to get up to plug/unplug as necessary.

I’m 72 and reasonably fit. With the front seat turned around it’s quite easy to get up and down even with the porta potty at the end of the bed

A ladder? Why on earth would I need that? And where to stow while driving?

Do you need one? I don't know. Can you get to the top bed without it? Have you tried it?
I'd suggest to try before buy.

I guess it all depends on how tall you are, and what the ratio between your legs and your body is. And of course your fitness.
I am quite tall (195cm), and have long legs, so I don't need a ladder.
I can understand people who do need one, but I hope I won't need one ever.
I never step on the arm rests, and not on the middle of the seat. I gently push myself up on the side of the seat.
Knocked my knees a few times while getting down, possible with staying damage, but using a ladder would be even harder for me.
You’ve answered your own question, I’m
After all the views and great ideas I’ve gone for the 2-piece one in the club shop. Expensive yes, but think it’s the best option for my wife and I. Useful for roof access as well as I intend to fit a solar solution from Roger but not have the curly cable permanently attached. I’ll need to get up to plug/unplug as necessary.
We bought ours as the last thing we wanted was a broken arm rest.

I’m 72 and reasonably fit. With the front seat turned around it’s quite easy to get up and down even with the porta potty at the end of the bed
What do you stand on to lever yourself up?