Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kitchen Pod (almost) complete

Hi Owen,
Sorry to ask the question on this post but I don't seem to be able to PM you.
I have just purchased a 2012 California Beach that has had a custom kitchen on the near side and wardrobe/storage unit on the offside that both attach to the rail system. I believe the kitchen unit is the same width as the 3/4 width (double seat) storage unit and so if the wardrobe is removed the standard 3/4 width seat will still fit. The bit I am unsure about is the rear shelve that makes up the back of the bed, the kitchen unit runs the full length all the way to the back of the camper and so I guess the standard multiflexboard will not fit. From reading your posts am I correct in saying yours is similar and if so how did you source/make a new multiflexboard that fits and a matress?
Thanks in advance
Rsy

You should take some photos to show us but it sound like they planned to sleep in the roof ? You can see the multi flex in Owens photos here

viewtopic.php?f=104&t=6637

I assume you didnt get the multflex, think they are about £900 from VW. Would be cheaper to get something fabricated to suit you I think

m1sterd said:
Hi Owen,
Sorry to ask the question on this post but I don't seem to be able to PM you.
I have just purchased a 2012 California Beach that has had a custom kitchen on the near side and wardrobe/storage unit on the offside that both attach to the rail system. I believe the kitchen unit is the same width as the 3/4 width (double seat) storage unit and so if the wardrobe is removed the standard 3/4 width seat will still fit. The bit I am unsure about is the rear shelve that makes up the back of the bed, the kitchen unit runs the full length all the way to the back of the camper and so I guess the standard multiflexboard will not fit. From reading your posts am I correct in saying yours is similar and if so how did you source/make a new multiflexboard that fits and a matress?
Thanks in advance
Rsy

Hi Rsy,

I think there was a picture of your Beach on here a while ago, looked an interesting and well executed conversion.
With mine the kitchen pod part is not the full length of the nearside. It only goes back as far as the standard multiflex board. What I also have however is a storage pod that sits on top of the multiflex board. This makes it seem like its a full length unit. There are some pics of the storage unit here and how it sits on the multiflex board:
viewtopic.php?f=104&t=6637

If I'm imagining your conversion correctly then could you fit a support batten to the rear of the nearside unit? The nearside part of a 'chopped off' multiflex board could then fix to that and the offside be supported on the standard multiflex legs.
Other possibility would be to support the offside in same way the full SE California does with brackets on the side trim. May be better off trying to adapt the SE board rather than the Beach version.
Owen

Perfect for cyclists :D If taking the wardrobe out I'd get a frame fabricated that sits in the rails but have you got the seat ? They cost a fortune used/new I think :eek:

Yes that is the one, first time with a camper so wasn't really sure what I wanted but I like the idea of being able to take out the units if required. I have seen many posts enquiring to the weight limit of the factory roof as a bed, any ideas as to the actual limit?. Also had a budget, I have allowed about £2k for the rear bench and seats, I believe the company that did the conversion may still have the rear bench the 9 lying trouble is they are 4.5 hours drive from where I am. Where is the best place to source genuine California Beach 3/4 seats.

m1sterd said:
Yes that is the one, first time with a camper so wasn't really sure what I wanted but I like the idea of being able to take out the units if required. I have seen many posts enquiring to the weight limit of the factory roof as a bed, any ideas as to the actual limit?. Also had a budget, I have allowed about £2k for the rear bench and seats, I believe the company that did the conversion may still have the rear bench the 9 lying trouble is they are 4.5 hours drive from where I am. Where is the best place to source genuine California Beach 3/4 seats.

If you can drive to get the bench and the'll let you have it then go asap would be my advice !

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bench-rear-do ... 1400730516

The original converter has got to be the first port of call I would agree. Every eBay interior I've ever seen has been from an SE so would need recovering to match the takato fabric.
Not sure there is an official limit on the upper bed, loads of people use it for 2 'full sizes' adults. It's more comfortable than the lower one as well.

Back