Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Khyam Motordome Classic - Huge!

Ajspicer

Ajspicer

VIP Member
VIP Trade Partner
Vehicle
T5 SE 180
Having taken delivery of our new 2014 motordome classic I was quite shocked by the size of it when in the storeage bag! Should of read the small print regarding folded dimensions I guess.

Question 1:

Where do you put yours when driving between destinations.

Question 2:

The erection is quick and easy and dropping it to ground level is also just as quick but is there any technique in folding and packing the fabric away to a more compact size as it appears to be even bigger compared to when it was taken out of the box!

Thanks,

Andrew.

Ajspicer said:
Having taken delivery of our new 2014 motordome classic I was quite shocked by the size of it when in the storeage bag! Should of read the small print regarding folded dimensions I guess.
This is why we sold ours ! I realise not the answer you wanted to hear :?

What did you get instead?

We have one as well and I agree it does take up a lot of room. Generally it sits on the rear mattress but nowadays we only use it if planning on staying in one place for a while.
We normally use a Base Seconds (the old style, new ones are bigger) which is about 2.4m square, goes up/down in a couple of minutes, is about 1m diameter and 100mm thick packed up so slots nicely under the rear shelf. Used in conjunction with the roll out awning it's ideal.

This is why I warn everyone I can about drive-away awnings. Unless the airbeams are significantly smaller, I found if I took mine, I HAD to erect it as there was nowhere else to leave it in my van once beds were deployed (this was when I had pop tops). So even if I knew I was only on an overnight stop, and the weather forecast was for a wet morning, it had to be pitched (or left with the site owners).

Its one of the reasons I enjoy my bigger van - I can exist quite happily without the drive-away awning.

Ajspicer said:
What did you get instead?

We went for the all round awning panels and a pop up tent, it takes about 10 mins to pack away when going out for the day and best off all it fits in with the chairs in the tailgate.

I would say the only worthwhile reason for a drive away awning is if you are staying on site for a week or so. I prefer to to tour around and not stay on the same campsite for more than a few days so the faff of keep erecting and taking down a drive away was getting stupid.

Ajspicer said:
This is why we sold ours ! I realise not the answer you wanted to hear :?

I have to say that's the reason we sold ours also....

This is also why we sold all ours and switched to Vango. I would say they are at least 30% smaller when packed, and erect to erect/pack away. Sorry OT with those comments. We used to store it on the back shelf or in the passenger compartment.

We love our Khyam and, having two kids, we find the extra room really useful. Once you've set up a couple of times it all gets pretty quick. We store ours, as well as sleeping bags & chairs etc, in a roof box - we access the box by standing on a folding metal decorators step which doubles up as the perfect table for camping stoves! Because of the roof rack we use the Roofless Cali Topper - another great bit of kit! The size of the Cali can have it's challenges, but finding solutions is part of the fun of owning such a versatile vehicle!

Cheers G

I have found that by moving the rear bed forward by a few inches, the awning will sit nicely below the bed extension board.

We considered the kyam as the system is brilliant but because of the size we ended up with a Sunncamp Daytent. 3m by 3m when erected, all the sides unzip and open if it is hot. It is easy to erect (bad language quotient down by a third) and it is tough, it has just withstood 75kmperhour winds here in Spain. And it folds down very small in it's bag particularly after the air is squeezed out. And the pole bag is easily stored in that gap between the wardrobe and the seat with room to spare.
We erect it outside the wind out awning.
Also not expensive
Sorry.

DavidofHook said:
We considered the kyam as the system is brilliant but because of the size we ended up with a Sunncamp Daytent. 3m by 3m when erected, all the sides unzip and open if it is hot. It is easy to erect (bad language quotient down by a third) and it is tough, it has just withstood 75kmperhour winds here in Spain. And it folds down very small in it's bag particularly after the air is squeezed out. And the pole bag is easily stored in that gap between the wardrobe and the seat with room to spare.
We erect it outside the wind out awning.
Also not expensive
Sorry.
We are going home so have just taken it down and the bag as packed in the boot is size 830mm x470x 140 including 20 rock pegs inside. And the poles in their bag are about 830 x240 mm diameter.
Just in case anyone is still interested.