Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood Navigation

MickyBlue said:
I have just had a play with the VW Kenwood unit in the car showroom this morning, and as a back to back comparison the VW unit is a lot faster, and possibly slightly nicer looking interface.

I believe you can add the TV tuner and rear view camera to it as well. If I had my time over again I would probably go with that unit, but I wanted a std double din unit so I can swap it to a different vehicle in the end.

Interesting! It's definitely not quite bulletproof though - had mine freeze a few times, go blank when using Nav, etc. Always works again after being re-booted but slightly odd. Overall though, a very good unit.

KernowLad said:
MickyBlue said:
I have just had a play with the VW Kenwood unit in the car showroom this morning, and as a back to back comparison the VW unit is a lot faster, and possibly slightly nicer looking interface.

I believe you can add the TV tuner and rear view camera to it as well. If I had my time over again I would probably go with that unit, but I wanted a std double din unit so I can swap it to a different vehicle in the end.

Interesting! It's definitely not quite bulletproof though - had mine freeze a few times, go blank when using Nav, etc. Always works again after being re-booted but slightly odd. Overall though, a very good unit.

Had no freezing issues, or any need to reboot mine at all.

I have since found out you can only add EITHER the Tv tuner OR the rear view camera to the VW unit NOT both as I have.

MickyBlue said:
KernowLad said:
MickyBlue said:

Had no freezing issues, or any need to reboot mine at all.

I have since found out you can only add EITHER the Tv tuner OR the rear view camera to the VW unit NOT both as I have.

Could well be user error and it might be sorted when I finally get round to updating the software! Don't need a TV or camera but I can see that could be annoying.

It was in the van anyway so it was sort of free. That's what I tell myself... Thought I'd get a few biters for the original unit which was boxed (RCD310) and on Ebay but nowt so far.

Having contacted Kenwood and got the exact instructions for updating, I have now used 6 CDs (tried the Garmin update too) with no joy!

Is this a dealer or Kenwood issue I wonder? I really want to be able to update it!!

KernowLad said:
Having contacted Kenwood and got the exact instructions for updating, I have now used 6 CDs (tried the Garmin update too) with no joy!

Is this a dealer or Kenwood issue I wonder? I really want to be able to update it!!

Sadly I have no idea on that, but I didn't want to beholden to VW having had a dedicated 'Manufacturers' GPS unit in a previous car, hence going with a generic Kenwood unit.

Sorry that's no real help to you I know :headwall

MickyBlue said:
KernowLad said:

Sadly I have no idea on that, but I didn't want to beholden to VW having had a dedicated 'Manufacturers' GPS unit in a previous car, hence going with a generic Kenwood unit.

Sorry that's no real help to you I know :headwall

They're sending me a CD. If it works then I'm officially stupid. :oops:

Now I need to sort out the Garmin updates!!

I Had this system installed in my van today and updated the firmware from 1.2 to 1.4 without any problems, just followed the instructions and it worked first time.
Not sure about updating the map software just yet though. surely they don't expect us to pay all that money for a new system and then pay again to have the latest version of the maps

Tattooz said:
I Had this system installed in my van today and updated the firmware from 1.2 to 1.4 without any problems, just followed the instructions and it worked first time.
Not sure about updating the map software just yet though. surely they don't expect us to pay all that money for a new system and then pay again to have the latest version of the maps

I'm either a retard or there's an issue with mine!

Don't think you have to pay for the updates - mine won't recognise the one I have downloaded though.

Got a disk from Kenwood, tried it - no luck. Tried again. No luck.

Rang the number of the guy who I've been speaking to, went through it, worked first time - DOH! :oops: :oops:

Now if anyone could tell me veeeeeeery sloooowly how to do the Garmin update (I have the file saved on disk), I'd appreciate it very much...

Matt the spanner

Are you sure that you need to update? I checked my version of the garmin software on the garmin website and I already have the latest version of the maps.

If however you need to update the maps you need to put the file on a micro SD card then insert it into the SD slot and the system should recognise it and do the update. That's how I put all of the custom POIs on my system and all the speed camera data too.

Tattooz said:
Are you sure that you need to update? I checked my version of the garmin software on the garmin website and I already have the latest version of the maps.

If however you need to update the maps you need to put the file on a micro SD card then insert it into the SD slot and the system should recognise it and do the update. That's how I put all of the custom POIs on my system and all the speed camera data too.

You're right. I did a strange thing for once - I carefully checked the website before racing off to try it out.

The recent updates don't seem to apply (mostly stuff like updating the Thai language bits, etc!) and came out in April 2011 so we should have them anyway! I do have a spare MicroSD card and adaptor (for my Mac) so am equipped for once!

Does 1.4 so anything over 1.2? Can't see any obvious changes!

From what I understood the 1.4 update solved some issues with the satellite signal receiver ( or something like that).
If you haven't already got it make sure you have the garmin poi uploader program on your PC/mac before doing updates with the SD card because you need to install the updates onto the SD card via the garmin uploader software.
Also I found that downloading POIs on my mac didn't work so tried a PC and that was fine.

Finding the Bluetooth hands free sound quality to be pretty poor. They can't hear me so I have to shout and vice versa. Quality on the phone is fine. Any ideas as it's near enough unusable at the moment.

The rest of the functions work well.

Andy said:
Don't have that problem with the RNS510 & bluetooth !

Thanks but that doesn't really help me out very much... :headwall

So do I have to pay £75 every year? I have the Kenwood DNX520VBT Just got a message to upgrade the maps. Have updated the firmware on the SD card but the unit does nothing! What am I doing wrong?

Rosie if you are going to Calis on the farm I'm sure someone there will be able to help you.

Andy said:
Rosie if you are going to Calis on the farm I'm sure someone there will be able to help you.

I am! Great! Looking forward to lots of Cali Chat!!!! See you there.....

Back