Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood Navigation

Gazellio

Gazellio

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
I have this unit http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/products/car/vw/DNX520VBT/ and I highly recommend it.

Total integration with VW splash screen and everything multi-media you need including the best mapping available and perfect IPOD docking:

DNX520VBT_navi_UK1.jpg

I've got it too - pretty impressed so far although it did have a bit of a wobble earlier today - on satnav mode is was blank then it changed the colours of the buttons on it's own... re-starting the van sorted it.

Decent sound too IMO.

Do you get the picture of the car when using the parking sensors on this model to show how close an object is?

No not that I know of.....

PS: Be good to see a picture of your 2012 Berghaus....

Don't know if its any harder because I don't have anything to compare it to but it certainly doesn't feel like a hard ride

I'm interested in something along these lines but know very little about which systems/brands are any good.
Does anyone know if this would this fit my pre facelift 09 plate as the dash is slightly different?
I'm assuming the music player on my android phone would work ok with this.

Is that banana's in Pyjama's ?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIajvey7CnQ[/youtube]

It looks a bit laggy?
Was looking for reviews on double dins last night and some of the kenwood stuff didn't fare too well.
As far as you're aware is kenwood a good make with regards to these units? I only ask as i don't know where to start with these systems, there are so many different ones it makes my head spin just looking at them.
Can i ask how much it cost you? Don't know if i want to be spending £900-1000 especially as i'll probably want to get one for my work van as well!

Freeley said:
It looks a bit laggy?
Was looking for reviews on double dins last night and some of the kenwood stuff didn't fare too well.
As far as you're aware is kenwood a good make with regards to these units? I only ask as i don't know where to start with these systems, there are so many different ones it makes my head spin just looking at them.
Can i ask how much it cost you? Don't know if i want to be spending £900-1000 especially as i'll probably want to get one for my work van as well!

Laggy;
Not really, slower with the TV tuner as it's an external device to the head unit, than other stuff. Also this video was done before I did a Kenwood OS update to the head unit, which speed-ed it up a little without being over sensitive. There are OS, bluetooth & mapping updates available & in constant development so you are not stuck with an obsolete box in a year.

There is a fine line between being laggy or positive & being too quick to respond and forever jumping too quickly between stuff. I'm sure there's better out there but having asked around Kenwood seemed to not get negative vibes or strong positive ones. It's not THE best out there, but also not THE dearest.

Also bear in mind these head units are essentially mini computers so if the application (be it SatNav , Bluetooth etc) is already loaded it switches & responds faster.

Having used a similar OEM system (not Kenwood) in a Range Rover Evoque there is nothing in it really.

Kenwood is part of JVC now, & seems to be pretty middle of the road WRT ICE.

My take is that if it's good enough for VW & Garmin, (also Mitsubishi & possibly more but these I am 100% on) then it should be OK for me. Also the 9280 won EISA best media/nav European award 2011/12 and also Gadget show head unit award also. I was advised it wasn't worth the extra over the 7280 as the extra features you'll just never use in a van.

I have spoken to Kenwood HQ wrt the update, and you can get a human's help on the phone & they were helpful, knowledgeable & courteous. Garmin are also very good with their customer service as I have used their units before, and a lot of the motorbiking fraternity I am in contact with use their units because of reliability & customer service. The same can be said of running/fitness GPS units.

TomTom's CS is 'less good' let's just say in comparison. Sony have linked with them for their Double Din units, but they are a similar price (about £1000)

Kenwood's DVB tuner is about £300, the reversing camera is £150 or £200 depending on the model, and install is time related, so 0 if you do it yourself, I didn't, but then I was having a lot of stuff fitted so a deal was struck including tracker, & vinyl wrapping of the awning body.

HTH
Mike

Garmin are also very good with their customer service

Second that ! Have used garmin on motorbike a lot. Can ring there UK HQ & talk to a techie if you have problems, try doing that with TT !

Cheers for the info mickey i'm finding the choice bewildering so it's good to see/hear opinions of those who've taken the plunge.
How much was the head unit by itself?
Also i don't suppose you know if it works properly with android phones re Bluetooth handsfree and music? It seems that they're mostly advertised as being designed for ipods /iphones - wouldn't want to buy one to find it doesn't work with my galaxy s2.

Google 'Kenwood DNX7280BT' for best current price. I think its about £950.
MFSW interface & facia trim are extra though, I think you would also need a USB extension & aerial adapter lead also from memory.

Another reason why I went for it rather than the VW dedicated unit is it could be moved to any vehicle with a double din opening.

Look here at this link & input your phone & head unit info for exact BT compatibility

http://www.kenwood.com/cs/ce/bt/

HTH

Wow - great info! Ours is in the brochure but is Kenwood branded. Similar but not the same as Mickys. How do you get the updates?

KernowLad said:
Wow - great info! Ours is in the brochure but is Kenwood branded. Similar but not the same as Mickys. How do you get the updates?

Kenwood / Garmin updates can be found here;

https://www.garmin.com/kenwood/

:ugeek:

You need to register a username & password, but just click through it, It's dead easy. You will need your units model number, and check what firmware version etc you already have in the unit.

You're a star!

1.4.0 currently being loaded to disk. Isn't technology clever?!

No worries.

I spoke to Garmin this morning WRT mapping updates for the Kenwood units.
Long story short, they are annual for Kenwood units supplied either on memory card or DVD, you can't buy the Garmin lifetime maps subscription as you can with their stand alone units sadly, which are updated 4x each year.

To keep abreast of Garmin mapping updates;

Go to Garmin web site here;

https://my.garmin.com/mygarmin/logi...min.com/mygarmin/customers/myGarminHome.faces

1. Register and set up a 'MyGarmin' account
2. On your unit go into the settings in the Garmin software and record the units ID number, this is the 'device number/serial number' you need to.....
3. Register your unit in your MyGarmin account, DON"T try and register it as an Automotive device you need to click OUTDOOR device & input your ID number from the Garmin software on your head unit.
4. In your MyGarmin account set up your 'Service & subscriptions' to include mapping updates etc....et voila you will get email updates for whatever you want

Phew ;)

Brilliant!

Not having much luck with the firmware update. Three CD-Rs currently used, system doesn't seem to be recognising the update file.

Hmmm....

Sorry I have no 'direct' experience with the VW branded unit, but Kenwood's own requires the files unzipped onto a USB memory stick (solid state not extHDD) in the root directory.

Once the USB is attached to the powered up head unit, you go to the software update section of the head units software, BUT the UPDATE option will not be available untill you put the head unit then into 'Standby' mode....it then becomes available, & off it goes, leave it to it and follow the on screen instructions.

I would have the engine running whilst this is going on & don't whatever turn the ignition off during any of this or you could end up with a useless head unit :eek:ops

Once again, thanks! The website said do it via a CD-R but I'll try via USB.

Thanks again!

Will give it a go tomorrow (bit cold out there now) - thanks so much for your patience! I'm getting there!

I have just had a play with the VW Kenwood unit in the car showroom this morning, and as a back to back comparison the VW unit is a lot faster, and possibly slightly nicer looking interface.

I believe you can add the TV tuner and rear view camera to it as well. If I had my time over again I would probably go with that unit, but I wanted a std double din unit so I can swap it to a different vehicle in the end.

Back