Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Kenwood -DIN CD

D

DirkSquareJaw

VIP Member
I'm thinking of up grading the current bog standard vw Cali sound system. I don't want to go nuts but i'd like to start with the head unit. I think i'll stick with Kenwood for penny saving..so
DPX 405BT
DPX 501U
DPX 503U

Out of these which would be the best or are they similar with added function rather than sound quality.
If you were going to go the whole way (amp/speakers) out of the Kenwood range what would you pick or indeed have to work with the above. Has any cali owner already done the above ?

Answers on a post card to.....

Dan

IMO easiest way forward is head unit replacement to Kenwood DNX521DAB and upgrade rear speakers.
If you buy something other than a VW version of the head unit such as 521 then you lose reversing pictogram and anything else that is manufacturer specific. That may or may not matter to you. I think the 521 is over priced and wasn't willing to ditch the OE RNS 310 I have with BT, and VW integration.
But if money was no object and I wanted an easy time of it I would go 521.

777111 said:
IMO easiest way forward is head unit replacement to Kenwood DNX521DAB and upgrade rear speakers.
If you buy something other than a VW version of the head unit such as 521 then you lose reversing pictogram and anything else that is manufacturer specific. That may or may not matter to you. I think the 521 is over priced and wasn't willing to ditch the OE RNS 310 I have with BT, and VW integration.
But if money was no object and I wanted an easy time of it I would go 521.

:cool

Where do I send the cheque LOL!!!

Yes - of course there is the DNX521DAB which is the ultimate upgrade - but this is a different cost to the DPX405BT!

Ta folks.
Mr Ken...i really just want a good sound platform.I know in car Audio can never match my separates ( i'm an Arcam man myself) but i would really like a system that,rather than masses of tech or OTT base has a creamy velvet quality to it... at home with all types of music..well real music not the current pop tosh. Fleetwood Mac to Metallica and back via Yvonne Lyons.

If you were to put a system together for me what would that be.....can't go nuts on the spend.

Just want to sit after a hard days riding wi mi cuppa and chill to my music..watching the sun set.
-don't want the van to vibrate (misses might get giddy) with bowel emptying base tones. Lets say a refined and detailed sound.

Over to you Ken :smile

Dan

I'll help him out some-- (& just so happens its his favourite brand)

KAC 8405 amp wired as 2 + 1 (bridged) to some decent rear speakers and a small (non-window shaker) sub for controlled bass extension - mines 10 but an 8" would do it.
I too am for quality rather than "competition" audio.

You not bothered about sat Nav, parking sensors and such like? If it want for those the options on a good double DIN (kenwood included) are many.

I had a fight doing what I di but the resulting sound ticks the box.

Ah, I have parking sensors. Is this one of those....moments. Change the unit and bang goes the sensors ?
I'm quite intrigued with your system..err any chance I could listen to it a some point.
How much did it set you back ?

I met IanE at the Yorkshire meet and he is in a similar place with what to do with the audio.
Perhaps if it could be arranged a pub meet and a listen, may be Ian too .....just a thought?

No worries if not and thanks for the info

Dan

ps I have no idea about car audio what so ever. Its a new world.

amyqugu2.jpg

I had the DPX405BT fitted as a replacement to the original as I wanted Bluetooth and better sound without spending a fortune. So far I've been really pleased with it. The only downside is that due to the angle of the dash, in bright sunlight, the display can be hard to read. Not a major issue but slightly annoying. Being able to adjust the colour to match my dash is great.

I have also fitted a brodit clip and now mount my mini ipad on the dash. This combination works really well as I have a proper sat nav app on the ipad. The stereo can accommodate 2 Bluetooth devices so I usually link my phone and ipad to it. It also has a USB connection so either device can be connected to it for charging too.

Not particularly expensive and worth it IMO.

DirkSquareJaw said:
Ah, I have parking sensors. Is this one of those....moments. Change the unit and bang goes the sensors ?
I'm quite intrigued with your system..err any chance I could listen to it a some point.
How much did it set you back ?

I met IanE at the Yorkshire meet and he is in a similar place with what to do with the audio.
Perhaps if it could be arranged a pub meet and a listen, may be Ian too .....just a thought?

No worries if not and thanks for the info

Dan

ps I have no idea about car audio what so ever. Its a new world.

I'd be happy to demo - but where are you? I nearly went to the Yorkshire meet - would have if it had been an overnighter.
Costs were not too bad < £500 for everything BUT quite a lot of DIY effort.
I definitely didnt wish to ditch the sensor display and the sat nav in the RNS 310 is ok too, so the only option was the 521 for me or seriously enhance the audio from the same source. I have also wired it so I can plug my phone in the back part (rear & sub only) and be independent of the head unit altogether - quality is very good in that configuration.
If the 521 had been £500 ish I would have done a swap though but still upgraded rears and added a sub so even more £'s!

Hi,

Between Leeds and Harrogate.
The other thought is a Bose Acoustic wave unit.
This is an idea at moment as my wife doesn't seem keen on our new Cali being tampered with..I think she's worried it could get damaged or alter the parking sensors etc

Ian's in Lakes near Kendal I think? So, if you fancied a meet near Ambleside or (?)- be an afternoon drive out to nice place if nothing else.

I would have no idea how to fit a system so would prob get a pro to do the dirty work if I went down upgrade road.

Thanks again

Dan

Dan,

Based on what you have said (uncomfortable about modifications, wanting to keep VW display stuff like the parking display) I would replace the head unit with a 521 and upgrade the rear speakers and leave it at that. My efforts took some considerable time, I wouldn't let a third party near it to do that stuff and although he resultant sound is very good it is a lot of effort. With 50w x 4 (normal for non-OE decent third party replacement kit) and some decent component rears you will get a good sound and have all the stuff VW intended. Sure, a sub will definitely give a bass edge but again I built mine to a specific cab size to fit the Cali.
Still welcome to meet tho - always good for a chin-wag about audio - life long passion with me.

Suimon