Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Keeping the interior clean while camping

I

impossibledreamer

Vehicle
Looking to buy
Anyone have any tips for keeping the interior of the van clean while camping? I know you can't avoid dirt completely, but we're trying to figure out if we should get carpet mats, install some faux-wood flooring that's easier to sweep and mop, or figure out a way to keep shoes outside. I'm a bit of a clean freak and I can relax a little when we're traveling, but I'd still like to figure out any easy routine for the campsites.

Anyone have any tips for keeping the interior of the van clean while camping? I know you can't avoid dirt completely, but we're trying to figure out if we should get carpet mats, install some faux-wood flooring that's easier to sweep and mop, or figure out a way to keep shoes outside. I'm a bit of a clean freak and I can relax a little when we're traveling, but I'd still like to figure out any easy routine for the campsites.
black carpets +brush
1692092803342.png
fits between front seats while driving.

We operate the same policy as at home, by leaving shoes at the door.
Yup, that’s the way for us…… and a little OXO dustpan and brush which fits perfectly in the storage slot on the pax seat base :thumb

Combo of all the above. We have a dustpan and brush - Oxo one. Shoes off (if dirty) and we used to have the full mats from campervan carpets but they became a pain in the backside to move all the time so now have one of the Amazon dirt catching machine washable mats that we use in and if dry weather, use as an outside mat, which works perfectly.

1692096229339.png

We have a small ikea rug in the van which is easy to shake out, an oxo dustpan & brush (stored in pocket at side of seat) and have just bought a smallish outside rug. Hoping the outdoor rug will stop quite so much grass coming into the van. Plan is for people to remove shows before entering the van, rather than on the step.
May also invest in a step shoe store, for when they’re bought in overnight.

+1, I have the same and also have their air compressor. Great pieces of kit!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Does the air compressor do a good job of airing up and down? I have a 12v heavy duty Ring compressor which is pretty good in that it’ll run for 20-30mins without overheating. Been toying with getting an ARB for speed but struggling to justify the cost vs the amount of times I would air up and down…

Does the air compressor do a good job of airing up and down? I have a 12v heavy duty Ring compressor which is pretty good in that it’ll run for 20mins without overheating. Been toying with getting an ARB for speed but struggling to justify the cost vs the amount of times I would air up and down…

It does the job, but I wouldn’t rely on it for airing up and down going off-road. I’d go with an ARB. I use mine for adjustments only due to weather changes.

Washable marvel mats (cut to fit) in rear - easy to brush clean using our Oxo dustpan and brush (fits neatly in driver seat pocket). Ikea door mat that lives flat in the boot area, goes outside the door when we park up - it is also brilliant as a traction mat if stuck in mud as we discovered last weekend! Finally, all shoes go in an Ikea laundry basket (also available in grey) that either fits between the front seats (just) or can be chucked in the boot or awning when parked up. https://www.ikea.com/gb/en/p/torkis-flexi-laundry-basket-in-outdoor-blue-80339224/

Dunelm mats - easily shareable and washable. Shoe rack that fits on the sliding door step, takes our ‘site shoes’ - actually garden clogs, and flip flops. Walking shoes etc in a bag, or box, in the boot. Portable Sharp vacuum cleaner. Small brush in the shoe rack. Microfibre clothes for surfaces.

On a site in East London this year we were warned not to leaves shoes under the van as a family of foxes liked to pinch them !

Dyson v6. 2 dogs and sand, it's great.

For us it’s campervan carpets mats, the little oxo dustpan and brush and this Vango bag for shoes (folds flat) which usually goes outside.
bdf9002066a5ab6fce72d2d3de19c96d.jpg

I have long plastic boxes that fit under the sliding door outside where all shoes go.
Have a small dust pan & brush in drivers door compartment.
Use wipes to pick up stray mess!

We use carpet offcuts in the rear section so they can be cleaned and if necessary replaced now and then. I would hate to spend a fortune on carpets and then see them trashed. Also shoes off in the van if it’s wet out.

Shoes off at the door. Left in the Shoeboxx. Blanket on rear bench to catch crumbs etc and an OXO dustpan and brush going over once a day. The wood effect floor makes brushing a breeze.

We keep our shoes on, and have a large grey Ikea bobbly bathmat as a rug in the back, which holds dirt & dust, can be shaken out easily & is washable. We also have a doormat outside. At night I put another towelling bathmat down to step on in bare feet. Just have a brush to sweep out the van as necessary. We originally had a fitted VW carpet but I sold it as it was a nuisance to keep clean.
If we come back from a walk with muddy boots, I'd sit on the step & take them off, but otherwise would find it a total nuisance to be taking shoes off & on every time.

Wow, I’m amazed at the lengths gone too when out ‘adventuring’ in order to keep the vans clean. We have the fitted rubber mats from club shop, easy to sweep out with a wee brush set and even if we were able to keep our ‘four paw’ fellow adventurer spotlessly clean, we really just wait for a proper clean out when we get back home….mind you it does take a few hours … lol

IMG_4752.jpeg