Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

It's on order ...

Verity

Verity

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Like others who've just posted here, we've just ordered a new California Ocean. We were told to expect it in about March, but now I'm getting nervous as the current lead time seems to be longer. Oh well, there's little I can do (or maybe nothing ...) to influence the situation (oh dear, my control freakery is going into overdrive), so I'll just have to live with it. I'd rather not be paying extra car tax, but I suppose that will be Mr Osborne getting the last laugh after his rather unceremonious departure.

We've sold our caravan to raise the deposit and it went much more quickly than I had expected, so we now have to face a long winter with no camping (I'm too old for tenting in UK autumn/winter/spring these days). I'll just have to get my fix by logging in to this forum from time to time whilst I plan how to keep the UK economy afloat by acquiring endless accessories to make the van even more perfect. Cushions, anyone??!!

Like others who've just posted here, we've just ordered a new California Ocean. We were told to expect it in about March, but now I'm getting nervous as the current lead time seems to be longer. Oh well, there's little I can do (or maybe nothing ...) to influence the situation (oh dear, my control freakery is going into overdrive), so I'll just have to live with it. I'd rather not be paying extra car tax, but I suppose that will be Mr Osborne getting the last laugh after his rather unceremonious departure.

We've sold our caravan to raise the deposit and it went much more quickly than I had expected, so we now have to face a long winter with no camping (I'm too old for tenting in UK autumn/winter/spring these days). I'll just have to get my fix by logging in to this forum from time to time whilst I plan how to keep the UK economy afloat by acquiring endless accessories to make the van even more perfect. Cushions, anyone??!!
Congratulations! Now the rules are you need to share your spec with the other geeks on here!

Welcome Verity, March is going to be your "2nd birthday" and you find some time to read some posts here about everything.

Congratulations! Now the rules are you need to share your spec with the other geeks on here!
Blimey. I can't remember - my beloved did it all.

Middle sized engine, manual gears (because I'm rubbish at swapping between different types and my everyday car is a manual), white with black awning rail and black wheels (we wanted a black roof, but apparently that wasn't allowed), screen thing with satnav (ridiculous price - but I was outvoted on that one), extra bed mattress as I can't sleep for toffee even in a comfy hotel bed ... can't remember what else.

I think he's going to be called 'Hamster III'. Years ago we had a red & white 2CV with plate 'SPG' so he got called 'The Hamster' (readers of my vintage will know what I'm talking about) and then we had a plums & custard 2CV which was 'Hamster II - The Sequel'. It just seemed the right thing to do to carry on, since we are hoping he will be a loyal chum to take us into our (early) retirement years.

Welcome , the long wait will be rewarded!

Hi Verity, and welcome. I'm in the same boat with the tax thing but, hey, it's not such a huge percentage of the purchase price. Think of it as a 'purchase tax' but spread over 3, or is it 4 years. That what it is really.

Hi Verity, and welcome. I'm in the same boat with the tax thing but, hey, it's not such a huge percentage of the purchase price. Think of it as a 'purchase tax' but spread over 3, or is it 4 years. That what it is really.
I know! When compared to the £50k for the van it's a drop in the ocean, but just another way for the tax man to pee us all off! I am spoilt because my 'normal' vehicle is a Toyota IQ, which doesn't attract any car tax at all! My husband until recently had a Defender, which was nearly £500 per year car tax - ouch - that hurt!

... a drop in the ocean...

Pun intended, obviously.

Ah we're all in the same boat! It's so frustrating! I resisted the temptation to buy coasters ... and cushions ... not sure how long I can hold out though! We're calling ours the Kalimera which is Greek for good morning :) pondered calling her the Kali taxida which means good journey but the taxi part could give family members the wrong idea haha!

Welcome to the forum - a good place to hang out while your new California gestates in Germany.

The chaps all like to hear about the technical spec but personally I crave news/photos of cushions, rugs, and the like. The general consensus seems to be not to buy stuff for your new van until you have been in it in anger and decided what you need. Must admit to having bought a "happy camper" tea towel and some indoor fairy lights so far. Also a special California wishlist on Amazon is useful :thumb

Best, Wind Witch

Not really thought about a name for ours; the Caravelle is just 'the van'. I suspect the Cali will just become 'the van' too.

Blimey. I can't remember - my beloved did it all.

Middle sized engine, manual gears (because I'm rubbish at swapping between different types and my everyday car is a manual), white with black awning rail and black wheels (we wanted a black roof, but apparently that wasn't allowed), screen thing with satnav (ridiculous price - but I was outvoted on that one), extra bed mattress as I can't sleep for toffee even in a comfy hotel bed ... can't remember what else.

I think he's going to be called 'Hamster III'. Years ago we had a red & white 2CV with plate 'SPG' so he got called 'The Hamster' (readers of my vintage will know what I'm talking about) and then we had a plums & custard 2CV which was 'Hamster II - The Sequel'. It just seemed the right thing to do to carry on, since we are hoping he will be a loyal chum to take us into our (early) retirement years.

My first pet was a hamster. It was black. I called it Diesel. Good name.