Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is VW sat nav worth the extra?

Jerseyroberts

Jerseyroberts

Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
hello,

We would like a sat nav system but is the VW fitted sat nav option worth the extra (about £450 to upgrade)? Or is there other better alternative e.g. Use app connect to phone, or other purchased sat nav device.

Thanks,

hello,

We would like a sat nav system but is the VW fitted sat nav option worth the extra (about £450 to upgrade)? Or is there other better alternative e.g. Use app connect to phone, or other purchased sat nav device.

Thanks,

£450 to upgrade? Which option list are you basing that on?! It was over 1500 more the last time i looked?

A lot of people on here (me included) have/have ordered the composition media radio and then app connect (combined option price about 400) and then use car play or android auto. Have used both in the Cali and both work well. Not used the in car nav but for 1500 it just isn’t worth it as it’s not even a live system for that (ie like BMW Connected Drive / Audi MMI Connect etc).

I have ordered Composition media and app connect for my ocean. Webought 3 new passats for our business, the satnav is awful and I wouldn't pay anything for it (standard equipment on the (much) cheaper Passat....). Why vw can't use the excellent Audi MMI system with google maps and traffic is beyond me.

Only down side of the app connect is that if you run out of data or don't have good network coverage it won't work. I'm going to buy a tomtom as a backup.

We have Discover Media and it is not worth the money, we use Google maps or Waze instead as the mapping is much better.

Save your dosh and get the composite media instead.

£450 to upgrade? Which option list are you basing that on?! It was over 1500 more the last time i looked?

A lot of people on here (me included) have/have ordered the composition media radio and then app connect (combined option price about 400) and then use car play or android auto. Have used both in the Cali and both work well. Not used the in car nav but for 1500 it just isn’t worth it as it’s not even a live system for that (ie like BMW Connected Drive / Audi MMI Connect etc).

Thanks for all the replies.

I think the general advice seems to be to go without the factory fitted sat nav. Will only use Sat Nav in mainland Europe so I will probably get hold of a Tom Tom or similar.

To answer the question by it guy (I was concerned when I wrote this it would be questioned). I worked it out as follows: I wanted alcantara seats so I then needed to upgrade to what I think is called comfort dash. By doing this you also have to upgrade to the 6 inch media radio (£400 ish) OR the Sat Nav (£850 ish) (all pre price increase). So therefore by choosing between either radio or satnav the difference was between £450-£500. The figure will be a approximate partly due to me paying no VAT in Jersey (so the VW configure quotes will give a slightly different amount).

TomTom is much more user friendly and you can put it on the dashboard, better in sight than the VW sat nav in the middle of the dashboard.

Just to be different I’m getting on fine with the VW one. Worked well on a recent European trip with data connection. I have it set to split view on the main screen which gives upcoming turns and information and it sends the turn instructions to the MFD.
Downsides are it needs updating but shouldn’t be a problem.

To a large extent it comes down to what you get familiar with. I had app connect with Apple maps which I also like as a backup but wasn’t required.

Mike

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

I like the factory nav - nice big clear bright screen & clear routing / auto zoom. The buttons are pleasingly tactile.

I couldn't be bothered with suckers, mounts & extra power leads etc.

I also like it. I have found it easy to use especially if I have to make changes whilst driving. At some point I will have my Blackvue installed so don’t want anything else stuck on the windscreen. Does the reversing camera work on all the VW head units?

We've been blundering around Europe for a few days shy of 6 months. The factory fitted sat nav has been an invaluable tool in finding remote campsites and out of the way places. Linked to the phone network it gives live traffic information on main roads.

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

hello,

Thanks,
How much do yearly upgrades cost? As opposed to TOMTOM's free updates? Been with TOMTOM for over 10yrs now - very happy.

We use the "app conect" with our phone. The phone display comes up on the dash screen. We use Google maps , we find it really good and no need to update the system.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Really appreciated.

Is a benefit to the fitted sat nav that it links with speakers and music in car i.e. If you are on a motor way and coming to a turn off it lowers the music volume and tells you to turn? I presume a Tom Tom would not do this? Is factory sat nav also a bigger screen so presumably easier to follow than a Tom tom?

The app connect sounds useful but I would only use sat nav in mainland Europe so not too sure how expensive that would be as I presume phone data would need to be on?

Is a benefit to the fitted sat nav that it links with speakers and music in car i.e. If you are on a motor way and coming to a turn off it lowers the music volume and tells you to turn? I presume a Tom Tom would not do this? Is factory sat nav also a bigger screen so presumably easier to follow than a Tom tom?

The app connect sounds useful but I would only use sat nav in mainland Europe so not too sure how expensive that would be as I presume phone data would need to be on?
Data is now free in Europe. The radio screen with the app connect is bigger, and it also turns down the radio when giving directions. It has voice command.

The turn directions also show in the MFD, and the sat nav does not rely on a signal/data.

It has voice command.
lol it doesn't understand me even trimmed my beard but still doesn't like Hampshire tones.

Is factory sat nav also a bigger screen so presumably easier to follow than a Tom tom?
I think the maps look clearer on Tom tom - size depends on stand a lone size I have XXL stand a lone.

Updates on Garmin and Tom Tom seem easier in my view
ditto for adding POI and changing map colours.

You can set the Tom Tom and Garmin to to sound an alert if you go over the speed limit has anyone found if you can set his alert on the VW built in head. It only seems to show the speed limit but not your speed?

At the end of the day I think it is personal choice and what you may be used to using and if you want to spend the extra on a built in sytem, Everyone works out their best way from A to B. I still remember when the wife held a map with my directions on it Sat Nav's are easier to ignore.

Roaming charges were abolished in Europe June 2017
Partly true. Calls and SMSs are included in that Euro deal but data roaming is usually limited by your provider. This was done to prevent people from buying cheap SIM cards from Eastern-European companies.
For Google maps you can avoid roaming charges by loading maps off-line before your departure.
And nobody knows whether roaming will remain free for British travelers after Brexit!

lol it doesn't understand me even trimmed my beard but still doesn't like Hampshire tones.

I think the maps look clearer on Tom tom - size depends on stand a lone size I have XXL stand a lone.

Updates on Garmin and Tom Tom seem easier in my view
ditto for adding POI and changing map colours.

You can set the Tom Tom and Garmin to to sound an alert if you go over the speed limit has anyone found if you can set his alert on the VW built in head. It only seems to show the speed limit but not your speed?
I use the Nextbase dash cam on speed view, gives GPS accuracy and easy to change to KPH, I set the MSF max speed warning when driving on the continent, normally at 120 KPH.
A Tom Tom is more flexible but as our Cali was a cancelled order I have learnt to like the built in system.

I have a 2013 Golf GT with the upgraded media system. I also have a 2016 Passat GT with the standard media system. Both Sat Nav units work well. However it is a little complicated to use features like the post code setting. Once you read the booklet or Google how to use it, it's a simple system. My 2010 Cali didn't have Sat Nav specified at build, but I am considering having the VW unit installed by my local eurovan centre.

My verdict, learn the system or read the instructions :thumb

Back