Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Is a smokey engine heater a problem

CYCLOPATH

CYCLOPATH

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
What happens, in my 2015 SE 180 auto , when starting and not going far, in this cold weather, is I get smoke, smells a little like those old paraffin heaters, from the back of the engine, heading towards the passenger side....when I stop the heater and a fan or pump, keeps going for half a min, then stops.
It’s after the van has been parked up for a couple of weeks.
Never noticed it before, but it’s unusually cold, and I normally do long drives....but been manovering in the car park recently.
Should I worry??van drives beautifully. I usually do a couple of a hundred mile trip every month.

What happens, in my 2015 SE 180 auto , when starting and not going far, in this cold weather, is I get smoke, smells a little like those old paraffin heaters, from the back of the engine, heading towards the passenger side....when I stop the heater and a fan or pump, keeps going for half a min, then stops.
It’s after the van has been parked up for a couple of weeks.
Never noticed it before, but it’s unusually cold, and I normally do long drives....but been manovering in the car park recently.
Should I worry??van drives beautifully. I usually do a couple of a hundred mile trip every month.
In this weather, No.
Coolant heater starts automatically and runs until coolant gets to about 80c. If you stop before that point is reached you will hear the heater and pump running on for a few minutes. The smell or a puff of smoke is not unusual on short journeys.

Back