Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Irrational priorities...

HectorPascal

HectorPascal

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
I would like to know, just for my own curiosity, are there any others out there who value the Dynaudio Hi-Fi enhancement package?

When we specified what we would like in our own van, there were lots of 'would likes' and really only two 'must haves' - Adaptive Cruise Control and.... Dynaudio!

I really wanted the 204 and 4x4 etc, etc, but it was that music that really mattered.

I have to say that I am pleased that I stuck to my guns. Man, it's good.

Last edited:
I would like to know, just for my own piece-of-mind, are there any others out there who value the Dynaudio hi-fi enhancement package?

When we specified what we would like in our own van, there were lots of 'would likes' and really only two 'must haves' - Adaptive Cruise Control and.... Dynaudio!

I really wanted the 204 and 4x4 etc, etc, but it was that music that really mattered.

I have to say that I am pleased that I stuck to my guns. Man!, it's good.
Ours came with dynaudio and I’ve only whacked up the volume when the little one has not been in the van and oh man it’s amazing. It was so good I had to turn it down when waiting at traffic lights and pedestrians would have got an earful

Our nearly new van came with Dynaudio and I really rate it, but not sure it would be the first option on the list if I were buying new. Mind you I am not keen on ACC preferring standard CC so Dynaudio would trump ACC every day of the week for me. The 140 has plenty in it for me, but must admit I do quite fancy 4 motion. I suspect everyone will have a slightly different options pick list.

I have never tried the Dynaudio option, but I find the standard audio to be pretty good, even at high volume. I haven’t done a back to back test but it feels similar the Bose setup in our Audi Allroad. However my ears are half blocked by body fight back from repeated cold water rinsing when I was growing up so not sure I’m qualified to judge.
I also value the cubby on the top of the dashboard for sunnies, motorway toll tags etc that you lose with the Dynaudio system

I would like to know, just for my own piece-of-mind, are there any others out there who value the Dynaudio hi-fi enhancement package?

I have to say that I am pleased that I stuck to my guns. Man!, it's good.
It was a must have option for me, after years tolerating a tinny stereo in my old car. It’s amazingly good.

I don’t think it’s an option anymore on the T6.1 though.

I would like to know, just for my own curiosity, are there any others out there who value the Dynaudio Hi-Fi enhancement package?

I have to say that I am pleased that I stuck to my guns. Man, it's good.

I hope that you won't think me rude, but I am curious as to what people who want "top end" sound equipment are looking for?
I have to admit I am a philistine in this respect, but then I used to think that a transistor radio slung from the rear view mirror was quite good in car entertainment.
How do you evaluate the various components and combinations of components? What bearing does the price of a component have.? I have seen lengthy technical discussions between aficionados regarding the various merits of items without resolution. I guess that a Cali is a bit different to other vehicles inasmuch as a lot of listening is done without the engine running, but I still can't see why anyone would spend up to 5% of their initial purchase price on a so called "infotainment" system. As this thread is headed "Irrational priorities" I guess that you don't really see why either?
As an aside, I have a friend who has spent an absolute fortune on a sound system, but who spends most of his time bemoaning the quality of the records that he plays, even though they to are also supposed to be "state of the art".

Dear Vagophile,
You are right that I titled my post 'Irrational' and that is because I suspect, for most people, it's exactly as you say. I'll have a go at a fuller explanation as to how I rationalise it and why I made the comment.

We are all different of course: show me a nice juicy cryptic crossword and a nice pint of ale and I salivate - not just for the ale either. But show me a sudoku and it would leave me cold and I am sure would mar the taste of the beer too. Others are the other way around and I am sure it's the same with music.

Music, for a lot of people, has a direct path to the emotions. It can. time-stamp events enhance encounters and experiences. It give life a lot of added colour. That does not mean to say it should be blaring away all the time like a builder's tranny, as with everything there is a time and place and one of the best listening places is a vehicle. A Cali vehicle especially as it is normally associated with times of relaxation and enjoyment anyway.

Even if sound reproduction has not moved on very much from the best analogue of 50 years ago the method of storage and delivery certainly has. High resolution files stored on a digital device plugged into the Cali system
is seductively lovely whether your taste is Mahler's 5th, Miles Davis' album 'Kind of Blue' or 'Tilted' by Christine and the Queens. It does not matter, good music is good music whatever the genre - well almost.

I walked into a super high end Hi-Fi supplier once in New York and laid my cards on the table, "unless my numbers come up today, I am one hundred percent a time-waster to you", I said to the imposing tall, black salesman (also a concert pianist I later discovered), "but I would love to hear just what north of 150,000 dollar's worth sounds like. "Certainly, come this way sir" he crooned. The German Burmeister gear was set up and served up a female jazz singer (I forget who). I closed my eyes and she was 'right there, in the room singing to me'.

Wowed, I feebly offered that even if I could afford it, I could not ever rationalise it or justify it. He countered "actually, it is one of the easier large emotional purchases to justify - on the simple grounds of the number of hours of luxurious enjoyment it provides". I could see what he meant and that's how I see it with the Dynaudio set up in our van and, come to think of it, how I see the van itself.

Last edited:
I love music and hi-fi, but I would rather have the dash storage than the dunaudio because a moving vehicle is a crap place to listen to music. Where I want to listen to music is when I’m not moving, but it’s not practical when the engine is off (auto shut off). So it was tempting, but in the end not included in my order in the end. But I do understand why some will choose it.

I hope that you won't think me rude, but I am curious as to what people who want "top end" sound equipment are looking for?
I have to admit I am a philistine in this respect, but then I used to think that a transistor radio slung from the rear view mirror was quite good in car entertainment.
How do you evaluate the various components and combinations of components? What bearing does the price of a component have.? I have seen lengthy technical discussions between aficionados regarding the various merits of items without resolution. I guess that a Cali is a bit different to other vehicles inasmuch as a lot of listening is done without the engine running, but I still can't see why anyone would spend up to 5% of their initial purchase price on a so called "infotainment" system. As this thread is headed "Irrational priorities" I guess that you don't really see why either?
As an aside, I have a friend who has spent an absolute fortune on a sound system, but who spends most of his time bemoaning the quality of the records that he plays, even though they to are also supposed to be "state of the art".
That’s the problem in the California. The sound system runs off the engine battery, so most listening is done with engine running and vehicle moving. If you spend a lot of time listening to the system when parked up if the 20 minute Switch Off doesn’t get you the flattened engine battery will.
If the sound system was run from the Leisure Batteries permanently or switched then I could see the point of an upgraded system.

I have heard that Dynaudio is fantastic and I have no reason to doubt that. However, since I have no experience of this option my only thoughts are that when it's accompanied by road and engine noise along with the usual Cali rattles, is it's high price really worth it? Surely to the purist it must be a bit like listening to your favourite piece of music whilst someone's using the vacuum cleaner? Also, if you're parked up you can't use it for very long for fear of flattening the vehicle battery.
If I was buying a Cali and Dynaudio was included I would be highly delighted but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't lay down hard cash for it. All three of my Calis to date have had the Discovery media sat nav and that has been very good. Perhaps I need enlightening.

Last edited:
I have heard that Dynaudio is fantastic and I have no reason to doubt that. However, since I have no experience of this option my only thoughts are that when it's accompanied by road and engine noise along with the usual Cali rattles, is it's high price really worth it? Surely to the purist it must be a bit like listening to your favourite piece of music whilst someone's using the vacuum cleaner? Also, if you're parked up you can't use it for very long for fear of flattening the vehicle battery.
If I was buying a Cali and Dynaudio was included I would be highly delighted but I'm pretty certain I wouldn't lay down hard cash for it. All three of my Calis to date have had the Discovery media sat nav anc that has been very good. Perhaps I need enlightening.
I don’t notice the road noise, I do notice if there are any rattles in the van though. It’s was worth it to me as I really enjoy listening to it all the time while driving. After years of annoyingly bad car stereos it’s just really nice. I have an Apple Music subscription and Wi-Fi in the van so I can find and stream new music, or internet radio on the go. I have a Bowers and Wilkins bluetooth speaker I use when parked up, which sound great too. I spend a lot of time in and around my van though.

Back