Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Irish community - where should our maiden voyage be?!!

F

FionaGN

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Beach camper 150
Hi all!
Myself and my husband Mike have just ordered our first cali and are beyond excited! We are living in Cork but we have to go to Dublin to pick her up mid May and we are thinking of stopping somewhere for our first night. Granny is minding the kids in Galway, so it will just be the two of us! Thinking maybe Wicklow? Any recommendations welcome
Thanks,
Fiona & Mike

Hi all!
Myself and my husband Mike have just ordered our first cali and are beyond excited! We are living in Cork but we have to go to Dublin to pick her up mid May and we are thinking of stopping somewhere for our first night. Granny is minding the kids in Galway, so it will just be the two of us! Thinking maybe Wicklow? Any recommendations welcome
Thanks,
Fiona & Mike
.......or do we head back to Galway and keep going out to Connemara???

Hi all!
Thanks,
Fiona & Mike
Hope it’s coming with all the essential kit, else that first night might be a bit Spartan!

Hello Fiona,

Congratulations to your new camper. I am sure you count the days until you can collect it. From whom did you buy it? If it is from Frank Keane give them my regards :)

You don't need a lot to enjoy the first night in the camper. But it is tricky to ensure that you have at least the minimum.

First I would suggest to go to an official Campsite for the first night. If you want to make you a coffee or tea you need water (which you need a hose to fill a few liter fresh water in the tank). You can use a bucket and a funnel but that is messy (and you need a bucket and and a funnel :)). But maybe the VW dealer can help you with this one (or the campsite). A few bottles of water would do as well.

Now you have to boil the water. That is tricky because it is unlikely (but possible) that the dealer puts a 907 gas bottle in. You could use electricity, but you need a cable to connect to the campsite's electricity.

To bring some biscuits or / and sandwiches is easy. If it is cold, it should be no problem. The diesel heater will heat up the camper and the leisure batteries are big enough to provide power for one night.

On the way back home I assume you drive to Galway first. If that is the case I would suggest Lough Ree East Caravan and Camping. I wasn't there myself, but I plan to go there maybe in 2x weeks.

The reason to suggest this is, you are halfway to Galway and on the way home so you could enjoy the drive from Dublin to Lough Ree on the day of collection of the camper, enjoy the afternoon, have an easy start the next morning and a not so long drive to Galway.

Hello Fiona,

Congratulations to your new camper. I am sure you count the days until you can collect it. From whom did you buy it? If it is from Frank Keane give them my regards :)

You don't need a lot to enjoy the first night in the camper. But it is tricky to ensure that you have at least the minimum.

First I would suggest to go to an official Campsite for the first night. If you want to make you a coffee or tea you need water (which you need a hose to fill a few liter fresh water in the tank). You can use a bucket and a funnel but that is messy (and you need a bucket and and a funnel :)). But maybe the VW dealer can help you with this one (or the campsite). A few bottles of water would do as well.

Now you have to boil the water. That is tricky because it is unlikely (but possible) that the dealer puts a 907 gas bottle in. You could use electricity, but you need a cable to connect to the campsite's electricity.

To bring some biscuits or / and sandwiches is easy. If it is cold, it should be no problem. The diesel heater will heat up the camper and the leisure batteries are big enough to provide power for one night.

On the way back home I assume you drive to Galway first. If that is the case I would suggest Lough Ree East Caravan and Camping. I wasn't there myself, but I plan to go there maybe in 2x weeks.

The reason to suggest this is, you are halfway to Galway and on the way home so you could enjoy the drive from Dublin to Lough Ree on the day of collection of the camper, enjoy the afternoon, have an easy start the next morning and a not so long drive to Galway.
Hello, it sure is Mr Keane, he's like Ireland's version of California Chris So the plan was to buy the cable and gas bottle in Dublin....or wind hunter in Athlone but if that's not possible we'll just do without the coffee! We are getting a Beach, so no built in water on board. Lough Ree looks good..... Mike likes that it's a 4 minute walk to the dog and duck ha ha The more we think about it, we might drive to Granny's house in east Galway, load up some supplies and head off again to connemara. Looking at the Renvyle beach park....that's a 3 and a half hour drive from Dublin....so we'll definitely know if we like driving her by then!!!!

I have no real input here except to say ENJOY!
But what I am doing as I read your posts is imagining hearing you guys in conversation with what you've written.
I love the accent from your part of Ireland :D
I have no idea how many localised accents there are for parts of Ireland but I could listen to Aisling Bea for ever.

Congratulations on you new purchase I hope you enjoy the adventures and build some great memories with your family. On our first night we drove to Wicklow and decided to go wild camping in Brittas Bay. There's a nice lay-by which is very quiet in the evening, we checked there was space available beforehand and then a short drive to Jack Whites Inn for dinner, we returned later and got comfy for the evening. https://park4night.com/en/place/80305. As an alternative there is a campsite nearby called Hidden Valley, you could confirm that the electric hook up, draining of tank etc is all working and if not you are not too far to bring it back to the garage. When we got our Cali, there was no gas tank, so be prepared to bring a Camping Gas 907 cylinder. Enjoy your adventure.

1174272_gd.jpg

I have no real input here except to say ENJOY!
But what I am doing as I read your posts is imagining hearing you guys in conversation with what you've written.
I love the accent from your part of Ireland :D
I have no idea how many localised accents there are for parts of Ireland but I could listen to Aisling Bea for ever.
Ha ha thank you!! Aisling Bea is pure Dublin I've a Galway accent and Mike has a stronger Cork accent.... we nearly have an accent for every county

Congratulations on you new purchase I hope you enjoy the adventures and build some great memories with your family. On our first night we drove to Wicklow and decided to go wild camping in Brittas Bay. There's a nice lay-by which is very quiet in the evening, we checked there was space available beforehand and then a short drive to Jack Whites Inn for dinner, we returned later and got comfy for the evening. https://park4night.com/en/place/80305. As an alternative there is a campsite nearby called Hidden Valley, you could confirm that the electric hook up, draining of tank etc is all working and if not you are not too far to bring it back to the garage. When we got our Cali, there was no gas tank, so be prepared to bring a Camping Gas 907 cylinder. Enjoy your adventure.

View attachment 121536
Oh very good point on checking everything is working ok before we venture too far from the garage!!! I'll have to download the park4night app too, I've seen it come up a few times!

Back