Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Invertor

L

Laurence102

VIP Member
Hi Guys,

Need some help/advice please. I have had to take the Cali in, under warranty (phew :D ), as the batteries were not charging when hooked-up to the mains supply. It transpires the problem is the 'Invertor', which I am assuming is linked in to the system between the leisure battery and the fuse board.

Has anyone experienced this problem and, if so, are you able to tell me what is involved in fixing the fault and where the invertor is actually situated please? I just what to understand what is involved as I have a knowledge gap with things electrical.

We picked the Cali up new last March and have only just realised the fault. Doh!

As an aside, I am very impressed with the customer service offered by Heritage Van centre, Bristol, who really have gone that extra yard.

Thank you in anticipation.

Laurence

Does the T5 have an inverter? I didn't know that?

Are you sure you mean inverter? An inverter creates AC at 240v from 12v Dc batteries. In other words, you have a mains voltage supply in your van when NOT using a hook-up.

Do you mean there is a problem with the battery charger?

S.

Both the inverter and charger are located under the fridge. Assume the dealer refers to one meaning either or.

So how well does the inverter work? I assume it'll flatten the batteries fairly quickly?

S.

Thank you for your responses, it is appreciated. I am now being told the main fuse to the battery charger keeps blowing and it is believed the fault lies with the 'inverter'. As Heritage did not have an Inverter in stock, it is hoped one will be delivered today and the replacement made. If that doesn't work?

Thanks again.

Laurence

sidepod said:
Does the T5 have an inverter? I didn't know that?

Are you sure you mean inverter? An inverter creates AC at 240v from 12v Dc batteries. In other words, you have a mains voltage supply in your van when NOT using a hook-up.

Do you mean there is a problem with the battery charger?

S.
Later California's have a invertor in the B pillar behind the passenger seat. Its only 150watts O/P so low power.

sidepod said:
So how well does the inverter work? I assume it'll flatten the batteries fairly quickly?

S.
It runs off the 12V supply and uses clever electronics to create an 240V AC supply, but the power output is limied to 150W. This means you cant run microwaves, kettles, hairdryers, heaters from it. Its pretty much limited to phone and laptop chargers, radio's, small TVs etc that dont have a 12 V input.

I have only used mine to power a laptop and it does buzz when doing this.

If you do pull 150W out of it you will drain your leisure battery quite quickly. Approx the same as 16A at 12V

So back to the original posting....

I think the faulty inverter is draining the batteries. The battery charging system is fine.

The inverter is connected to the batteries as it requires a 12v DC input.
It make no sense to connect it to the battery charger as, if the battery charger is working then you have a 240v Mains input and therefore you wouldn't need the inverter.

So the problem isn't that the batteries aren't charging, it's just that they're draining faster than charging.

Keep us up to date on the exact problem?

S.

Oh dear! I am ashamed to admit :oops: that I had misheard what was being said. It was the power converter that had failed and needed replacing. I am really sorry to have bothered you. But, thank you for your support, especially you sidepod because had you not questioned my use of 'Inverter', I would not have sought further clarification.

Thankfully the fault is fixed and I understand the power converter is situated with the battery charger, under the fridge box. Glad we found it now and not in a couple of weeks when we are of to France.

I am being taken in for service now; to my hearing?

Rectifier ;)

Have a fab time in La Belle France

S

Back