Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Invertor plug

S

Snooper1012

Hi guys,

I've just wired myself a euro style plug for the invertor on my Cali, but was wondering. Does the invertor have any trip switch? Also, how much can you draw on it? Finally, I assume its ok to use both whilst driving and on hookup?

Cheers

Just a word of warning. The socket as mentioned in the other thread is for low wattage items such as phones and laptop chargers. Adapting this for 13A style 3 pin plugs is not without risk. The reason the socket is 2 pin is due to it being specifically designed for double insulated items ( as there is no earth connection). Therefore it is possible with a 3 pin uk socket attached to a flying lead plugged into the inverter socket you could plug in non double insulted appliances making the metalwork live in the event of a fault. Now the risk is low as these type of appliances/products are less prevalent now, and certainly very rare rated at 150w but people overload there sockets all the time and will try and plug all sorts into it.
Obviously our continental cousins thought of this by designing the plug and socket specifically for double insulated products and these plugs come as standard on their items. So just think on before plugging your whatever into it. If the 3 pin plug has a plastic earth pin it will be fine as long as it below 150w rated. If the plug has a metal earth pin and the earth is connected to it there is a risk however low. Sorry if this sounds like scare mongering and there does need to be a fault with you electrical item before it becomes an issue but I felt I needed to point this out.

Calincolnshire said:
Just a word of warning. The socket as mentioned in the other thread is for low wattage items such as phones and laptop chargers. Adapting this for 13A style 3 pin plugs is not without risk. The reason the socket is 2 pin is due to it being specifically designed for double insulated items ( as there is no earth connection). Therefore it is possible with a 3 pin uk socket attached to a flying lead plugged into the inverter socket you could plug in non double insulted appliances making the metalwork live in the event of a fault. Now the risk is low as these type of appliances/products are less prevalent now, and certainly very rare rated at 150w but people overload there sockets all the time and will try and plug all sorts into it.
Obviously our continental cousins thought of this by designing the plug and socket specifically for double insulated products and these plugs come as standard on their items. So just think on before plugging your whatever into it. If the 3 pin plug has a plastic earth pin it will be fine as long as it below 150w rated. If the plug has a metal earth pin and the earth is connected to it there is a risk however low. Sorry if this sounds like scare mongering and there does need to be a fault with you electrical item before it becomes an issue but I felt I needed to point this out.

Thanks for the "heads up" I'm only going to be using my dab radio or charging my camera battery / mobile using the invertor. The only other item might be my ipad....they should be ok do you reckon?

Yes fine. Few if any low wattage devices are non insulated now so it's old stuff that's a issue . DAB radio and iPads are no problem. Just don't get giddy and plug the iron in. :D

Calincolnshire said:
Yes fine. Few if any low wattage devices are non insulated now so it's old stuff that's a issue . DAB radio and iPads are no problem. Just don't get giddy and plug the iron in. :D

Not even when I'm giddy at home do I reach for the iron, rest assured!! :thumb

If you're just looking to charge/power small devices, I use a powermonkey explorer - they're not desperately cheap (about £50 on ebay) but they have just about every combination of mains plug inc the elusive diamond Euro (found on our inverter socket) - see piccie - coupled with just about every imaginable tip (iphone, ipod, blackberry, USB, nokias etc etc). They also have a nice battery backup and mini solar charger too (which is why they're not cheap). Very compact also.

PMEX_Gry_contents_screen_and_lights.1.jpg

If you don't want the battery backup or solar charger, you can buy just the universal dc charger and the tip ("monkeynuts") of your choice for about £15 then just plug this straight into the inverter.

https://powertraveller.com/iwantsome/primatepower/

There's a bigger (more costlier!) version with a more powerful battery that can charge iPads small notebooks etc