Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

ID Buzz Contract Hire Pricing £250 per month + VAT!

• Thread starter WestSussexSpike
  • Start date
WestSussexSpike

WestSussexSpike

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
I have been considering running an ID. Buzz alongside our Ocean as a daily driver but was somewhat put off by the price. However, it would now appear that VW have something of an excess of supply over demand, as evidenced by this contract hire offer which is not unique, by the way!

A bit of a no brainer. It's the top spec Style model too!

But you’re limited to 5000 miles per annum…?

That looks to be a pretty poor deal if you actually read the full details rather than headline grabbing number.

It isn't £250 +VAT as its a 24 month lease but needs 9 months payment up front and a £299 admin fee, add on the VAT & it works out at £410.93 per month or £0.9863 per mile if you use your full 5000 miles. Doesn't sound quite so cheap now.

That looks to be a pretty poor deal if you actually read the full details rather than headline grabbing number.

It isn't £250 +VAT as its a 24 month lease but needs 9 months payment up front and a £299 admin fee, add on the VAT & it works out at £410.93 per month or £0.9863 per mile if you use your full 5000 miles. Doesn't sound quite so cheap now.
It's still probably the best value lease pound for pound you can get right now taking into account the list price. The leasing company will normally waive the admin fee if you push them on it.

Your figures are, of course, correct. However if you look at the deal again and calculate the real cost on a 10,000 mile per annum rate with one payment in advance the VAT inclusive price comes in at under £500 per month inc VAT, or 60p per mile. I would suggest that 60p per mile in a £63,000 vehicle is outstanding. If, assuming that you can charge at home, you then factor in the saving in fuel costs it makes for a highly cost effective vehicle.

The cost justification becomes even more compelling if you travel in and out of London (as I do). You then save £15 per day on congestion charge, and if you park on a meter in Westminster you can do so all day for around £2, which is a saving of around £40 per day. On top of that, if you run the vehicle through a company you can claim half the VAT back, further reducing the monthly cost by around £40 per month. In addition the Benefit in Kind tax charge is only 2% of the list price.

If you think about it, if you were to buy such a vehicle on a PCP at 8% APR the interest alone over the period would be almost £10,000 before you even consider depreciation, which could be £20,000!

So, I would still maintain (even if the headline rate is lower than the real cost) that it is a no brainer!

So it sounds the perfect deal then for a self employed person that doesn't want a normal but is happy to pay £150/ month more for a Buzz than an ID3, has somewhere to charge at home, commutes to Westminster in London, that lives no more than 22.5 miles from Westminster ( & doesn't use the car at weekends).

For city commuting I reckon the smaller the better, a lightly used E-UP purchased outright for the same cost as your 24 months rent would be the no brainer.

Bargain. 400 quid a month to drive a milk float,sign me up. They're doing these AMAZING DEALS because no one wants one

So it sounds the perfect deal then for a self employed person that doesn't want a normal but is happy to pay £150/ month more for a Buzz than an ID3, has somewhere to charge at home, commutes to Westminster in London, that lives no more than 22.5 miles from Westminster ( & doesn't use the car at weekends).

For city commuting I reckon the smaller the better, a lightly used E-UP purchased outright for the same cost as your 24 months rent would be the no brainer.
Again, you make good points. However, the cheapest ID.3 on a similar contract hire profile is actually £100 more for (in my view) a vastly less attractive vehicle than the Buzz.

I mentioned the savings if you commute in and out of London as an additional benefit. Wherever you live, if you want an attractive, comfortable prestige vehicle the Buzz is tremendous value. Incidentally, you don't need to be self-employed. If you work for a company there are very attractive salary sacrifice schemes that make contact hiring such a vehicle even more cost effective.

For me, commuting is only half the story. I would much rather spend my time in a Buzz than an E-UP (with a 200 mile range against 100 miles) especially if I had more than one family member with me! In much the same way that I would rather spend time in a California Ocean rather than a Caddy California.

I appreciate you'd end up owning the E-UP outright, but to me the smart money is driving a fully warrantied modern £65k car with no road tax to pay over a 10 year old supermini that would cost hundreds if not thousands more in maintenance & road tax over the same period.

Bargain. 400 quid a month to drive a milk float,sign me up. They're doing these AMAZING DEALS because no one wants one
Surely that's because historically the price has been too high, not because they are bad vehicles. I would respectfully suggest a little time spent in a Buzz might cause you to question the milk float comparison!

Surely that's because historically the price has been too high, not because they are bad vehicles. I would respectfully suggest a little time spent in a Buzz might cause you to question the milk float comparison!
No
And tomorrow I'll spend all day getting my eyelashes done . No, no. And no. I've never had my eyelashes done and for some reason I already know I don't want it. Same with a milk float

Last edited:
Again, you make good points. However, the cheapest ID.3 on a similar contract hire profile is actually £100 more for (in my view) a vastly less attractive vehicle than the Buzz.

I mentioned the savings if you commute in and out of London as an additional benefit. Wherever you live, if you want an attractive, comfortable prestige vehicle the Buzz is tremendous value. Incidentally, you don't need to be self-employed. If you work for a company there are very attractive salary sacrifice schemes that make contact hiring such a vehicle even more cost effective.

For me, commuting is only half the story. I would much rather spend my time in a Buzz than an E-UP (with a 200 mile range against 100 miles) especially if I had more than one family member with me! In much the same way that I would rather spend time in a California Ocean rather than a Caddy California.
You’re looking in the wrong place for iD3 then - I can find them for £350 on 10k miles pa lease

I appreciate you'd end up owning the E-UP outright, but to me the smart money is driving a fully warrantied modern £65k car with no road tax to pay over a 10 year old supermini that would cost hundreds if not thousands more in maintenance & road tax over the same period.
£12k gets you a 2021 e-up with low miles still under a vw new car warranty. No road tax , what do you think the £1000s in maintenance is going to be for?

There’s been quite a few long term tests about them published recently, all commenting on their realistic range being very good per kw of charge, & therefore are quick to recharge. The small cabin means heating and cooling is efficient. Compact size makes them easy to park, as a city car they are brilliant. For long range stuff I wouldnt be choosing electric anyway.

No
And tomorrow I'll spend all day getting my eyelashes done . No, no. And no. I've never had my eyelashes done and for some reason I already know I don't want it. Same with a milk float
I’m sensing it’s a hard NO from FB! :Grin

£12k gets you a 2021 e-up with low miles still under a vw new car warranty. No road tax , what do you think the £1000s in maintenance is going to be for?

There’s been quite a few long term tests about them published recently, all commenting on their realistic range being very good per kw of charge, & therefore are quick to recharge. The small cabin means heating and cooling is efficient. Compact size makes them easy to park, as a city car they are brilliant. For long range stuff I wouldnt be choosing electric anyway.
Sorry I was just doing a quick fag packet calculation of 24 months at £400, but probably didn't include the deposit hence why I thought the e-up would be 8 - 10 years old. I agree the maintainable on a 2021 wouldn't be as much.

Nonetheless it were a binary choice, I'd still choose a brand new ID Buzz over a second hand e-up to drive. You do make a fair point over value and practicality of the e-up which I can't dispute. It's an apple with pears comparison, other than cost the ID Buzz would be superior to an e-up in near every other department.

I think you miss the point slightly. I said that commuting was only half the story. I want a car I can commute in, not a commuter car. When not commuting, I want a car with a decent range that I can fit family, friends and stuff into. Barry’s point is well made, comparing a new Buzz with an three year old E-up is an apple and pears comparison.

You quite rightly pointed out that £250 was a headline figure for the Buzz. My response was that factor in a one month deposit, two year term,10,000 miles per annum and the VAT and the cost rises to £500. I’d be interested to see where you found an ID.3 for £350 on the same profile. I suspect that £350 is the headline figure in much the same way as the £250 was.

When not commuting, I want a car with a decent range that I can fit family, friends and stuff into.
Isn't that what the Cali is for? I don't see the point in a cali + a buzz, but a city car + a Cali makes a lot of sense.

Isn't that what the Cali is for? I don't see the point in a cali + a buzz, but a city car + a Cali makes a lot of sense.
Thats the clear vehicular mix I would have in the garage. A Cali for long distance/haulage/towing duties and a small EV runabout for <50 mile jaunts, urban driving and commuting. Best of both worlds so long as you could charge at home.

I’m sensing it’s a hard NO from FB! :Grin
Luckily the OP isn’t leasing the Buzz for FB! You’d have thought already driving a delivery van with windows would mean also having a milk float wouldn’t be a big jump!

@WestSussexSpike One vote here for the milk float over the toy car. Gotta have a bit of comfort.

Last edited:
Thats the clear vehicular mix I would have in the garage. A Cali for long distance/haulage/towing duties and a small EV runabout for <50 mile jaunts, urban driving and commuting. Best of both worlds so long as you could charge at home.
Each to his own, I guess! Personal choice. I would find an E-up too limiting.

Going back to my original point, I would suggest that a cost of under £12k for 20,000 miles in a £63k car is exceptionally good!

Whether or not a Buzz makes a good second vehicle is a different argument.

Each to his own, I guess! Personal choice. I would find an E-up too limiting.

Going back to my original point, I would suggest that a cost of under £12k for 20,000 miles in a £63k car is exceptionally good!

Whether or not a Buzz makes a good second vehicle is a different argument.
E-up is too small. ID3 would be the smallest option for me.

Maybe this is the answer…..

For those on a budget with a penchant for vintage

Back