Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

I would like to say hello...

Eber123

Eber123

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
Grand California 600
Hello,

Since many years I dreamed of a VW California, reading everything I could get my hands on, watching each YouTube Video available. I thought maybe in 5 or 7 years when I retire I could maybe get one...

Two weeks ago we had to bring my wife's Polo to our local Volkswagen dealer, and there we saw the offer for a demo model. We went home, looked it up and it seemed to good to be true. So the very next evening we went back to talk to the sales person and for a test drive. At this evening we signed to contract for the California :).

It is a grey Ocean with a 150 HP TDI engine, manual gears and a few extras. On the clock were just 118 km! Last Wednesday we collected the car.

So far we only drove about 600 km. What I have learned in these few days was that it will take time to get use to the car. It is my main car (driving to work, shopping etc.). It is bigger and bulkier than I expected - yet nice to drive. But so much to learn. I had a Tiguan with automatic gears before, which I miss a little bit (that is the only thing I miss), but in Ireland even the demo models with automatic would be 7 - 8000 Euro more than we paid - which we can't afford. So I need to get use to the manual gears.

Before I come to an end, I just saw that I didn't mentioned anything about my wife and me (of course California first). We live in Ireland (Co. Kildare) and are only about 5 - 7 years away from retirement. I am German (as you maybe had guessed). We moved from Germany to Ireland in June 1995. A few weeks ago we planned a road trip to Europe, but now with the (unplanned) arrival of the California we will stay in Ireland over the summer and driving the Wild Atlantic Way (which is also a dream of mine).

Eberhard

:welcome:welcome:welcome:welcome
Good colour choice.

Looks great.

Welcome !!!

Another welcome from me.Looks nice with the options we can see.

Thank you for the welcome.

In the package was: reversing camera, the bigger radio, ACC, Front Assist, automatic wipers, the box for valuables (I can't remember the right term for it), the side pipes, chrome package, bicycle holder, additional 5th seat (ok, we don't need it / want it, but ...). As I said 118 km on the clock and almost 3 years warranty.

How could we say no ;)

Welcome, looks fab, happy travels

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

You'll soon get used to it for everyday use. Nice van!

welcome enjoy the van you will soon get used to manual transmission.

Hi Eberhard!
Jason here (iboughtthis / IBT on YouTube). Love the van. We actually saw it in Liffey Valley and thought she was a beauty! It gave us some ideas if we to ever change the alloys etc. I found it took a few weeks to get used to - similar to any new car. If you have any Q’s you know where we can be found! J.

Thank you for the welcome.

In the package was: reversing camera, the bigger radio, ACC, Front Assist, automatic wipers, the box for valuables (I can't remember the right term for it), the side pipes, chrome package, bicycle holder, additional 5th seat (ok, we don't need it / want it, but ...). As I said 118 km on the clock and almost 3 years warranty.

How could we say no ;)

Hello and welcome.
If it's less than 3 months old, I would recommend you take out the VW extended warranty. I didn't and as mine is nearly 2 years old, regret not taking it out.

Hello and welcome.
If it's less than 3 months old, I would recommend you take out the VW extended warranty. I didn't and as mine is nearly 2 years old, regret not taking it out.

We’re there lot of issues 2haw? Ours is coming up on 2yr. Thanks J.

Luckily, I've had no issues whatsoever but just wished i'd extended the warranty for piece of mind.

My dealer kind of talked me out of it as pointless as I only keep my car for about a year before getting bored.

Luckily, I've had no issues whatsoever but just wished i'd extended the warranty for piece of mind.

My dealer kind of talked me out of it as pointless as I only keep my car for about a year before getting bored.

Good to know. Thanks 2haw! J.

We’re there lot of issues 2haw? Ours is coming up on 2yr. Thanks J.

I thought about this as well. I saw that option on the German Volkswagen web page, but I am not sure if it is available in Ireland.

Saturday week I will visit my Volkswagen dealer again to get the App connection installed. While I am there I will ask if VW Ireland offers extended warranty and if they do, how much it costs.

Eberhard

Welcome Eberhard
We bought our Cali this year from Sheey’s in Kildare and they said that there was no warranty extension available anymore(not very reassuring to be honest!!).
3 years and that’s it!!! The extra 2 years was good value at €600 but stopped in 2016.
Please let me know how you get on with your dealer.
Very best of luck with the new Cali and many safe miles on board
Regards
Frank

The van looks great - we’re still learning after a few months - love the wheels do you know what style they are ?

Welcome Eberhard
We bought our Cali this year from Sheey’s in Kildare and they said that there was no warranty extension available anymore(not very reassuring to be honest!!).
3 years and that’s it!!! The extra 2 years was good value at €600 but stopped in 2016.
Please let me know how you get on with your dealer.
Very best of luck with the new Cali and many safe miles on board
Regards
Frank

Hello Frank,

I will get back to you hopefully week starting 18/12. I hope to get the App connect install next Saturday.

There is just another question on my mind. Where do you park in Dublin? Jervis and other car parks around seem to be to low. I have an app with Park information, but after we visited Belfast yesterday I don't trust this anymore, because of the wrong information.

Eberhard

The van looks great - we’re still learning after a few months - love the wheels do you know what style they are ?

Hello Tim,

Sorry I don't know. The van was a demo model and the Roms were on it already. If I find out I let you know.

Eberhard

Hi Eberhard

I generally park on the street around Dublin as you quite rightly pointed out that the parking info on the sat nav is just short of rubbish I’m afraid.

Some car parks say 2m(6ft 6in) high but are in fact 6 feet high which is very tight for our Cali.

Maybe we could meet up and compare specimens sometime!!

Regards
Frank