morpeth clan

morpeth clan

Vehicle
T5 SE 180
hi all
how on earth do you value a cali
I have seen 14 plates from 34000 right up to 45000
is there a guide in the club
or is it just engine/transmission/extras ?

Each has to be an individual assessment :)

It's a nightmare and has to be what an individual considers worth paying within the parameters of what ticks the boxes.

It comes down to a mix of experience, judging the market, comparing spec, judging the appearance/history/owners, researching a lot, and bargaining well. Certainly do not consider the asking price (of a great number offered for sale) as anything approaching the price you should be paying.

It comes down to a mix of experience, judging the market, comparing spec, judging the appearance/history/owners, researching a lot, and bargaining well. Certainly do not consider the asking price (of a great number offered for sale) as anything approaching the price you should be paying.
yes I have to agree many owners over value their pride and joy
the miles looking are hard it would be easy to buy quick and near

Having looked at the ones in the For Sale section, there is a large variance on price...but generally I'd say you pay more for...

- higher BHP
- DSG Auto
- 4 Motion

Then if all of the above is the same, it's down to

- Some (but not all) optional extras
- Condition
- Service History
- What else is included (Brandrup accessories are still worth a bit 2nd hand for example)
- Hopes and aspirations of the seller

I sold my 2011 T5 very recently, started off with a top end price to see if it would sell, but in the end dropped it to a more reasonable amount when the initial interest didn't result in a sale.

Having looked at the ones in the For Sale section, there is a large variance on price...but generally I'd say you pay more for...

- higher BHP
- DSG Auto
- 4 Motion

Then if all of the above is the same, it's down to

- Some (but not all) optional extras
- Condition
- Service History
- What else is included (Brandrup accessories are still worth a bit 2nd hand for example)
- Hopes and aspirations of the seller
thanks for tips
I wonder if 73000 miles is to high for a 14 plate
commuting miles facilities not used and no issues yet on MOT,s
I sold my 2011 T5 very recently, started off with a top end price to see if it would sell, but in the end dropped it to a more reasonable amount when the initial interest didn't result in a sale.

thanks for tips
I wonder if 73000 miles is to high on a 14 plate
commuting miles, facilities not used
no issues with any MOT,s as yet

Better to have too many miles than too few but it has to be priced accordingly.

Never be afraid of miles as long as everything else fits into place including the price.

Better to have too many miles than too few but it has to be priced accordingly.

As said above, miles less important. These vehicles are essentially vans and so high miles is part of the design criteria. Service history with work being carried out as per the schedule is very important though.

Mileage is old hat really, it’s about regular servicing.
I am a London Taxi Driver and mileage isn’t really a consideration unless it’s huge.
Cabs sell with 80-100K mileage if the service history is there.
Diesels thrive on use.

Like any used car purchase, condition is hugely related to value and desirability. One persons idea of "immaculate" is not usually the same as mine.
As a guide DSG, 4motion, higher bhp engine etc. were each roughly 2K options around 2014. It is also quite easy to rack up 3,4,5K of factory fitted options and accessories, hence large variations in price. No. of owners? Ex rental vehicle? all come into play.

thanks for tips

The people that bought my 4 y/old Cali with 46,000 miles on it clearly knew what they were looking at: A few indicators.

They liked very much that time services had been carried out regardless of what would be low mileage for a commercially used van. Things like cam belt and water pump for example. Being tardy with those things indicate less love, more use as a commodity.

They liked that whilst 46,000 miles might be high for a leisure vehicle it was low for what the Cali mechanically is, a commercial vehicle. They liked it showed regular use but not hard use. If it was only 4,600 miles then it would have frightened them to death as it would indicate short, wearing journeys or just being stood in a drive doing nowt.

They really liked the minimal wear on brake pads and no service history indicating replacement. Reason: Thousands of miles spent loping along on autoroutes, autobahns and motorways, no fuss miles, no stress miles, but a nice warm engine keeping itself clean.

They liked it that I told them in advance where the small nick in the roof fabric was, the slight bump in the roof, the damage to the mirror housing. Nothing hidden away. This is how it is. This is how it's been used, this is what's happened to it.

The price, comparative to other of same age and specification, was relatively low. It wasn't to me. It was a price that meant it had paid for itself and my costs of ownership should I achieve that price were nothing. It had saved me thousands in hotel bills for a start. If I could now hand on a much loved, dear friend to someone else with enough dosh to buy myself another one, then I'm happy, they get a good deal, no haggling, no negotiation, no wondering could I have got more or less.

Last edited:
Type the details of the vehicle you’re looking at into webuyanycar.com, then knock a few hundred quid off. That will give you an idea of the trade value. Add 10 - 20% if you’re buying off a dealer with a good warranty, somewhere in the middle if you’re buying private.

Type the details of the vehicle you’re looking at into webuyanycar.com, then knock a few hundred quid off. That will give you an idea of the trade value. Add 10 - 20% if you’re buying off a dealer with a good warranty, somewhere in the middle if you’re buying private.
at last looks like I have found the right cali, 15 plate, new MoT to go, years guarantee, 1 owner, 15000 miles and a price to match private, wahey, if all goes well at viewing I should have in a week just in time for my days with the kids,
we have to split weeks to cover childcare ! but at least we can have short trips away in between family hols, hope all is as described

at last looks like I have found the right cali, 15 plate, new MoT to go, years guarantee, 1 owner, 15000 miles and a price to match private, wahey, if all goes well at viewing I should have in a week just in time for my days with the kids,
we have to split weeks to cover childcare ! but at least we can have short trips away in between family hols, hope all is as described
Good luck! :thumb

Back