Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How to disable interior scan?

J

jimbossa

Hello! We've just bought a new Cali and headed off over half term for our first trip. All was wonderful, apart from I couldn't work out how to lock ourselves in at night without setting the alarm off...! After disturbing our neighbours a couple of times we gave up trying to lock up.

So, I know there is a switch on the right hand side of the driver's seat. It's a two way spring switch with a disable symbol that lights up on the top half. I've read the dreadful instructions in the manual but they're no help. So, every time I turn the ignition off the disable symbol lights up red. I've tried then pressing the top of the button (the light doesn't change, but stays the same red) and then locking with the key fob, but after 30 seconds the alarm goes off. I've tried pressing the bottom half of the button after turning off the ignition (again the light doesn't change at all) and locking with the fob, again the alarm goes off after 30 seconds

I've go no idea what I'm doing wrong! I'm sure it's very simple and I'm very stupid but can anyone tell me the exact order of things I need to do from turning off the ignition and removing the key to then locking ourselves in? If you can help it may save me waking you up should we be sharing the same overnight spot!

Ah! Thanks Calikev that works. Thought it would be simple! But, we've also got a dog we'd like to sometimes leave in the cali. What procedure to I carry out then to disable the alam interior scan and lock from the outside with the fob?

Hi

I can't shed a lot of light on the drivers pillar button, but I do what Kev says and lock the door using the central locking button on the inside on the top of the drivers door. I read here somewhere last week that that locks the doors but doesn't set any of the motion sensors etc off, and whenever I've camped I not had an issue with the alarm.

On the subject of locking doors, I've also got into the habit of always having a key to the van in my pocket (unless I am inside ready for bed). I believe the van can be locked, then the doors closed, effectively locking the keys in and you out.

Cheers
Mark

I'm not 100% sure but I think if you switch off the one on the door pillar
And close the door and lock with with the key fob I think it turns green
I could be wrong

The light on the drivers door pillar has two colurs. When the drivers door is open it glows red if the alarm is not deactivated. Press it and it glows amber. now the alarm is deactivated. Shut the door and lock as normal.

You must go through this cycle every time you unlock.

Red means neighbours awake ..... amber means neighbours can sleep peacefully.

I have tried setting it with just the side door open and that seems to achieve nothing so now I shut everything up, open the drivers door, press the switch, see that the colour has changed from red to amber, close drivers door, lock up.

I travel to France on the ferry a lot and the dog stays in his crate in the Cali during the crossing....you have to lock the Cali without the motion sensors because choppy waters can set off all the alarms, we close the doors and lock with the actual key rather than electronic fob and that does the trick.
Welcome and enjoy by the way
Zebedee

This forum continues to remind me of things I hadn't even thought about, i assumed when sleeping in the Cali you just left it unlocked, just like been in a tent. I never gave one thought to locking it while sleeping. Good post, reminds me how much of a newbie I really am.

This forum continues to remind me of things I hadn't even thought about, i assumed when sleeping in the Cali you just left it unlocked, just like been in a tent. I never gave one thought to locking it while sleeping. Good post, reminds me how much of a newbie I really am.

There is a switch on the drivers door next to the wing mirror controls that locks the cali from the inside without activating the interior sensors.

Jen, thank you so much for that answer! The solution is that the driver's door needs to be open when you press the disable switch! It would have taken me months to work that out - it's like trying to finish a puzzel in Tomb Raider. It would have been nice of VW to mention this somewhere... Thanks also Zebedee for the key solution. I suspect that method leaves the alarm totally off, including the door alarms, so better to use the interior scan disable in most cases when leaving a dog in the cali.

The door key can be used to disable dead lock and leave the key in "safelock".

Deadlock prevents the doors being opened from the inside so can be dangerous if you leave children, geriatric mothers or axe murderers in the vehicle. Safelock allows the doors to be locked but still opened from the inside.

The handbook is dreadful. I spent many hours of my life locked in my cali working out how to disable the movement detectors.

The light on the drivers door pillar has two colurs. When the drivers door is open it glows red if the alarm is not deactivated. Press it and it glows amber. now the alarm is deactivated. Shut the door and lock as normal.

You must go through this cycle every time you unlock.

Red means neighbours awake ..... amber means neighbours can sleep peacefully.

I have tried setting it with just the side door open and that seems to achieve nothing so now I shut everything up, open the drivers door, press the switch, see that the colour has changed from red to amber, close drivers door, lock up.

GrannyJen - if I ever bump into you on the road I am handing you a large glass of whatever you want! This post has just saved me from hours of frustration trying to work out why light will not go amber with side door open.

One more approach... you click once the key fob the alarm is set off (red light blink in tge door), but if you click twice the mey fob doors are closed with no alarm set off (no blinking thing in the door).

GJ, interesting explanation about the misterious button in the pillar, finally I know how to use it after more than one year.

The drivers door pillar button must work differently on my Cali, once i have opened the drivers door and pressed the button to Yellow (sensors off) it seems to stay that way until i press it again (no matter how many times i lock and unlock with the key fob.
This means that once we are pitched up and I've de activated the sensors i never need to do it again unless i have actually started / driven the van.

The drivers door pillar button must work differently on my Cali, once i have opened the drivers door and pressed the button to Yellow (sensors off) it seems to stay that way until i press it again (no matter how many times i lock and unlock with the key fob.
This means that once we are pitched up and I've de activated the sensors i never need to do it again unless i have actually started / driven the van.
Same with mine.

Never occurred to me to lock ourselves in!

Never occurred to me to lock ourselves in!

Gran,

makes sense to lock yourself in.

I've twice been "harassed", once quite harmlessly by a very nice barman on a Cumbrian britstop and once less than harmlessly by a brain dead moron on a Belgian campsite, who came within an inch of being held by a group of young people tenting opposite me who wanted to call the police.

Single women, even those of my geriatric age, can be a target for lonely blokes after closing time. Very comforting to have all that Cali security around me plus an attack alarm that I leave hanging from the drivers door grab handle.

Don't let me put you off, one uncomfortable experience in nearly 200 nights and a locked Cali is very secure, but best to be prepared.

I think it resets with Ignition ON, not opening/closing doors. I think!

My 2013 T5 seems to be unaffected by ignition - once pillar switch is pushed to deactivate no reset unless pushed again.

Well the only thing in common seems to be the fact that there is a switch.:rolleyes:

Gran,

makes sense to lock yourself in.

I've twice been "harassed", once quite harmlessly by a very nice barman on a Cumbrian britstop and once less than harmlessly by a brain dead moron on a Belgian campsite, who came within an inch of being held by a group of young people tenting opposite me who wanted to call the police.

Single women, even those of my geriatric age, can be a target for lonely blokes after closing time. Very comforting to have all that Cali security around me plus an attack alarm that I leave hanging from the drivers door grab handle.

Don't let me put you off, one uncomfortable experience in nearly 200 nights and a locked Cali is very secure, but best to be prepared.

Totally agree GJ. You can't be too careful. We wouldn't dream of going to bed and leaving our house doors open and the same is true of the Cali, or previous campers we have had. I will be travelling alone a lot of the time and the attack alarm is a good idea too.

I try and remember to lock my car doors too but often forget!

Totally agree GJ. You can't be too careful. We wouldn't dream of going to bed and leaving our house doors open and the same is true of the Cali, or previous campers we have had. I will be travelling alone a lot of the time and the attack alarm is a good idea too.

I try and remember to lock my car doors too but often forget!
You can switch ON automatic door locking so that when the vehicle first exceeds 8km/hr ALL doors are locked automatically. You can open from the inside but not the outside.
You need the VW Diagnostic Computer or the Carista OBD module and an iPad 3 or 4, iPhone or Android phone.

https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/programmable-feature-with-carista.12831/