Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How much ‘stuff’ is too much?

Kayleigh

Kayleigh

Back in the ‘non-leaking’ T6 Beach
VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Beach 150
Whilst on holiday last summer touring the beautiful coastline north of the Humber with my dog, I stopped off on my last night at a nice campsite in Atwick. Shortly after arrival I noticed the family opposite were starting to pack up. They had an unbelievable amount of camping gear for a family of three (+plus dog). It took them nearly 5 hours after completely filling two cars, a trailer and roof box! I took a pic of my whippet, and they just happened to be in the background ;)

So, with many people now receiving their campers ordered during the Happy Camper event, this got me thinking…

How much stuff is too much?

Personally, I have quite a minimalist approach, just try to keep to the basics. I don’t use anything that requires hookup, but do allow myself a few luxuries like my Lafuma deckchairs - great for snoozing :)

What’s your approach to ‘stuff’ with your California?

IMG_9257.jpeg

That pampered whippet has way too many blankets. :Nailbiting

I try not to bring anything that is not going to get used at least a couple of times a day. If it took me that long to uproot camp I would seriously have to reevaluate camp craft. After taking several larger bits on my last trip that were never used but constantly in the way, I am fine tuning what is essential, where it gets stowed for least inconvenience and ease of access. By my 5th trip I should have cracked it. Minimalist or go home.

Whilst on holiday last summer touring the beautiful coastline north of the Humber with my dog, I stopped off on my last night at a nice campsite in Atwick. Shortly after arrival I noticed the family opposite were starting to pack up. They had an unbelievable amount of camping gear for a family of three (+plus dog). It took them nearly 5 hours after completely filling two cars, a trailer and roof box! I took a pic of my whippet, and they just happened to be in the background ;)

So, with many people now receiving their campers ordered during the Happy Camper event, this got me thinking…

How much stuff is too much?

Personally, I have quite a minimalist approach, just try to keep to the basics. I don’t use anything that requires hookup, but do allow myself a few luxuries like my Lafuma deckchairs - great for snoozing :)

What’s your approach to ‘stuff’ with your California?

View attachment 109622
Nothing on the floor, apart from ebike batteries and nothing on the flexiboard above rear headrests.
On an extended stay we take a 3'x3' bag with 9 rubber camping tiles that we put under the windout awning.

Nothing on the floor, apart from ebike batteries and nothing on the flexiboard above rear headrests.
On an extended stay we take a 3'x3' bag with 9 rubber camping tiles that we put under the windout awning.
Nothing on the flexiboard is quite impressive. I keep the bedding on there just for convenience!

Nothing on the flexiboard is quite impressive. I keep the bedding on there just for convenience!
Oh, I've got the Comfort mattress and duvet + sheet on the flexiboard but they only come upto the top of the back seat

There are only two of us. If it doesn’t fit in a cubby hole, wardrobe or pocket it’s superfluous. Except pillows, behind the backseat.

The last thing you need on a six week tour is novelty items.

Rule of four for most clothing, pants socks shorts tops shoes. As much activity gear as you can get in, bikes on back.

I've seen a mate of mine wrap up his stuff in a cali. Took him that long I'll tell you. Was at buttermere. I wrapped up my awning. Dropped the roof. Done. Then went for a hike. 4 hours later I snapped him still packing away from the top of high stile. When alone I take a quilt and beer. Some spare morecambes and Nothing else.

Everyone is different and it completely depends on what each person defines as necessary and desirable luxury.

If it fits in the van, what’s the problem?

I would like to think of myself as minimalist but we just went away for 2 nights with 2 kids and the van was full to the gunnels. Even so, I must have had to say ‘we didn’t bring that this time’ half a dozen times.

Kayleigh, we are novices at this game, having collected Vin Rouge end of Nov '22. We have been purchasing selective items and depending upon where we are going and for how long, we'll take more or less 'stuff'
For shorter trips ie 2 days we won't take the awning but may take the Webber 1000 gas bbq (crakin bit of kit) as a 'treat' to cook on.
Still learning and will inevitably take too much or too little...cos we can.

I've seen a mate of mine wrap up his stuff in a cali. Took him that long I'll tell you. Was at buttermere. I wrapped up my awning. Dropped the roof. Done. Then went for a hike. 4 hours later I snapped him still packing away from the top of high stile. When alone I take a quilt and beer. Some spare morecambes and Nothing else.

Morecambes?

That’s very true, I agree. What about towing a trailer with roof box and taking a second vehicle to carry all your stuff? o_O

Everyone is different and it completely depends on what each person defines as necessary and desirable luxury.

I would like to think of myself as minimalist but we just went away for 2 nights with 2 kids and the van was full to the gunnels. Even so, I must have had to say ‘we didn’t bring that this time’ half a dozen times.
If you’re travelling with kids all bets are off. Take everything you possibly can to keep those guys occupied.

As a couple we travel light, knowing that everything worth doing exists outside of the van and the campsite. That is the beauty in fact, you can only really take what you NEED. Wants are for those who drive 9m long motor home, and more power to them too

Don't forget yer Alan's. If your female Alan's take up less space than morecammbes anyway

I'm lost . :headbang
French speaking coming here to improve my English.:embarrased
English is quite a simple language, especially when it comes to our verb endings, they are certainly a lot less of them than major European languages such as French.

So to make it extra difficult we have Colloquialismes, an alternate dictionary of words we use instead of the proper nouns.

A subset of these are called Cockney rhyming slang, short phrases that rhyme with the target word.

Alan Whickers ( knickers)
Plates of meat (feet)
Mince pies (eyes)

We are a family of 4. Two adults and two young boys. I personally am a bit of a psycho about bringing as little stuff as possible. I have strict rules and I challenge the rest of the family on anything and everything (new/extra) they want to bring. Yeah, I'm a fun guy ;-)

Everyone gets 1 packing cube for clothes. This goes for my wife as well ;-) All 4 cubes must fit in the big storage compartment next to the fridge.

On the flexiboard there is blankets, a foldable table and 2 chairs for the kids. Nothing else.

No drive-away awning, nothing on the outside of the van (except for the bikes, which I grudgingly bring along). Nothing on the floor of the van.

In my experience life in and around the Cali, and setting up and leaving again, is so much easier this way, that the entire holiday or getaway is much more pleasant for everyone.

Also, this allows me to keep almost everything we need in the van year round, which makes is so much easier to leave on a whim for a night or weekend away.