Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How long can you go

theonecraw

theonecraw

aka Rioja
Vehicle
Cali now sold
We did our first long weekend without EHU this weekend...

We arrived on site with 100% maximum charge, had a full fridge running for the whole time (setting 04), helped a few friends with tents inflate their air beds via the 12v and inverter, charged iPhones, iPads & Nintendo DS's and used the lights as and when needed. We left the site after 3 days with 80% power remaining. I was really impressed with the result. :)

What is the longest you have been on pitch running solely off leisure batteries and what is the lowest your battery charge went down too?

4 days with Fridge at 4 and Heater on 24/7 at level 1 with 3 in evening. Lights and iPad, phone charging + iBoost WiFi. Leisure battery dropped to 70-60%. Over Christmas period.
Now have a Solar panel so now no worries.

Does the heater use power from the batteries as well as Diesel? Surely only for ignition, or am I wrong?
Uses a fair amount of power to heat the glow plug on start up and thereafter minimal to run controls and fan as "Loz" stated.
In fact, I believe you use less power leaving it on and just raising/lowering the Temperature Level rather than switching it On/Off, so in winter we leave ours ON for the duration of our stay.

If I remember I start the heater half an hour before arriving at the campsite so the engine can put back the initial high startup requirement of the heater.
Next time you start the heater whilst stationery look at the ampage going out on the control unit, mid teens from memory for a while.

If I remember I start the heater half an hour before arriving at the campsite so the engine can put back the initial high startup requirement of the heater.
Next time you start the heater whilst stationery look at the ampage going out on the control unit, mid teens from memory for a while.
That's a good idea.:thumb

That Q been asked so many times , and as a mather of facts there is no answer to it.
All depends on sooo much diffrent influents.
Battery age and current condition is the most important
Do you drive every day or is the Cali at site without driving only using power.
And everyone uses power in diffrent ways.
I got no trouble having 3-4 days no hook-up without driving , i do put everything in "eco-mode";)
Most times we stay only 1-2 nights in one place so no hook-up , or at sites where it it is all in ( like the ACSI ones) we do hook -up even for one night...

Totally agree with you @hotel california - you are far to pragmatic and sensible in your response... :thumb

However, what is the Cali record number of days running solely from batteries? Anybody taken them down to 10% or lower?

Really? I thought it was interlocked so it wouldn't run whilst engine was running?
Perhaps I dreamt that?

Really? I thought it was interlocked so it wouldn't run whilst engine was running?
Perhaps I dreamt that?
No you can start it while driving and use it while driving. Have done it by accident and by design. I think it is even mentioned in the Handbook.

3 days in a scottish winter, lights on from 4pm, Fridge ticking over nicely at freezing, heater blasting out, nice music playing and my electric bedsocks toasting nicely and I had about 40% left when I got moving again.

Perhaps I dreamt that?

On frosty mornings in winter I click the remote through the front room window, go upstairs for a shower and the Cali is defrosted and toasty warm ready to set off to work. I leave the heater on for a few miles until the engine warms up enough for the engine heater to takeover. Luxury

Anyone with a Beach? We haven't stress tested ours yet so wondering how many days we will be able to keep our cfx28 going for? (0.75a at 32 deg ambient)

No you can start it while driving and use it while driving. Have done it by accident and by design. I think it is even mentioned in the Handbook.
Well we T4 types have a mystery relay in line with the main control box, I'm sure it's switched via the ignition? Research required.

Well we T4 types have a mystery relay in line with the main control box, I'm sure it's switched via the ignition? Research required.

Sounds like a quirk of the earlier t4's. In our 2001 I can use the 'parking' heater when in motion with no problem. I suspect if the fuel level was low it would cause issue with it running properly with fuel slopping about but haven't ever reached that point. Yet.

3 days in a scottish winter, lights on from 4pm, Fridge ticking over nicely at freezing, heater blasting out, nice music playing and my electric bedsocks toasting nicely and I had about 40% left when I got moving again.

Sounds like bliss! Especially the electric bed socks :thumb:thumb:thumb

Sounds like bliss! Especially the electric bed socks :thumb:thumb:thumb

Well, they are really slipper socks warmed by a heat pad :D

It serves a real purpose, I have frostbite damage to some toes and they really do get cold:D

Back