Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

First adventure…lots of lessons!

My Thule ones take up a lot of space and are a faff. I’ve rarely used them and tend to leave them at home, preferring to make sure my feet are lower than my head whilst sleeping

Would like to hear positive experiences of these. I seem to be on the mosquitoes menu often waking with a group of several bites in one place

As are wet wipes

These trivets fit well, and can be wedged in with eg a small packet of paracetamol. They are then to hand to prevent damaging your glass tops...
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01MT5XPH6/?tag=eliteelect-21

Good looking van - Nice sports pack
I’ve got a couple of these bug lights. Work well - quite a few mosquitos have met the grim reaper so far. Obviously double up as lights. USB rechargeable.

579D7F27-3208-48C1-B35C-14CEFA2FA10D.jpeg

I use this. Plugs into Inverter socket. Nothing flying survives.

@WelshGas have you tried that device against Scottish midges? They can be frustratingly persistent, so keen to hear if you have experience

Had our first trip in the new Cali at the weekend and thought I would share our thoughts!

We decided to stay relatively local and keep it to a couple of nights as we knew that we were bound to learn a lot of lessons on our first outing! Turns out it was the right thing to do and we will be much more informed for our future, longer voyages.

So in no particular order this is what we learned…..

1. The Cali is a great vehicle to drive and for its size / weight gives pretty good mpg. I used to have a caravelle around 10 years ago and they really have matured. Surprised how well it holds the road and also they are pretty good down the bumpy tracks!
  2. Levelling ramps are a must have! Relatively easy to get the van onto them, although with the DSG you need to make use of the handbrake as well to stop rolling back down before you can get on the foot brake! I love the levelling feature on the screen. Very helpful! Once you are on the levelling ramps it’s a real pain rotating the drivers chair as you have to take the handbrake off to turn the chair around…….think a set of chocks would be good here as a bit tricky keeping footbrake on to avoid loading the gearbox in park, while turning a chair! Any tips appreciated!
  3. External thermal screen covers are really good at blacking out the van. Much better than the internal built in blinds…..although a big dry bag to put them in if it rained is a good idea!
  4. The upstairs bed is comfy and not to bad to get in and out of when you get the knack. The canvas is very dark with the windows shut too. Not so great on the soundproofing though if you have thoughtless people on the site that let their kids shout and scream until 1am! It’s also a bit unsettling if you are in the middle of a big lightening storm! Is it safe?!
  5. The downstairs bed is great with the Vango California rock and roll inflatable mattress on it….as long as you just let it self inflate and don’t put more air into it which makes it way to hard! The bed is a little on the narrow side for two adults. Lots of crashing against cupboards when turning over!
  6. Sleeping downstairs steams up the van! However a Karcher window vac is utterly brilliant!
  7. Don’t put your tea and coffee in the lower left cupboard if you’re sleeping downstairs. You can’t get to it in the morning!
  8. Cadac’s are brilliant…so easy to clean…but we knew that before getting the van.
  9. Don’t forget a rubber mallet! Awning tie downs are hard to peg out with just your hands!
  10. The hinges used for the fridge lid are rubbish. Our glass it coming adrift and wobbling about already…….being replaced under warranty. Anyone else had this issue? Think either lid is too heavy or hinge to stiff so too much stress on it.
  11. The pop top doesn’t leak in a downpour. Sadly my rear boot seal does and water drips on your head when sleeping downstairs…….another warranty job!
  12. The fly screens are ok, unless its raining and if you want to lower the blinds.
  13. Get a bug light for inside just before going to bed. I got eaten alive!
  14. The fridge likes to freeze things on anything above 3!
  15. Running the fridge etc barely seems to use any power, after 2 days and 2 nights we still had almost a full charge…..i guess you could almost do a week off grid?
  16. Nothing useful fits in the little slide out window blind / spice rack!
  17. Kitchen towel is your friend!
  18. Must plan food a bit better. Too much of what we didn’t need and not enough of what we did!
  19. Two nights away is just too short! Closely coupled with…we don’t get enough annual leave!

I think that’s about it! Overall we loved our new Cali and can’t wait to escape again soon. Perhaps a little further afield next time!

View attachment 94964
Hi David
It’s very interesting to read your report as we’re awaiting delivery of our new California Ocean. Thanks for the tips. I’m a bit worried about the build quality faults you report. Will be inspecting with an eagle eye on collection of ours!

Had our first trip in the new Cali at the weekend and thought I would share our thoughts!

We decided to stay relatively local and keep it to a couple of nights as we knew that we were bound to learn a lot of lessons on our first outing! Turns out it was the right thing to do and we will be much more informed for our future, longer voyages.

1. The Cali is a great vehicle to drive and for its size / weight gives pretty good mpg. I used to have a caravelle around 10 years ago and they really have matured. Surprised how well it holds the road and also they are pretty good down the bumpy tracks!
  2. Levelling ramps are a must have! Relatively easy to get the van onto them, although with the DSG you need to make use of the handbrake as well to stop rolling back down before you can get on the foot brake! I love the levelling feature on the screen. Very helpful! Once you are on the levelling ramps it’s a real pain rotating the drivers chair as you have to take the handbrake off to turn the chair around…….think a set of chocks would be good here as a bit tricky keeping footbrake on to avoid loading the gearbox in park, while turning a chair! Any tips appreciated!
  3. External thermal screen covers are really good at blacking out the van. Much better than the internal built in blinds…..although a big dry bag to put them in if it rained is a good idea!
  4. The upstairs bed is comfy and not to bad to get in and out of when you get the knack. The canvas is very dark with the windows shut too. Not so great on the soundproofing though if you have thoughtless people on the site that let their kids shout and scream until 1am! It’s also a bit unsettling if you are in the middle of a big lightening storm! Is it safe?!
  5. The downstairs bed is great with the Vango California rock and roll inflatable mattress on it….as long as you just let it self inflate and don’t put more air into it which makes it way to hard! The bed is a little on the narrow side for two adults. Lots of crashing against cupboards when turning over!
  6. Sleeping downstairs steams up the van! However a Karcher window vac is utterly brilliant!
  7. Don’t put your tea and coffee in the lower left cupboard if you’re sleeping downstairs. You can’t get to it in the morning!
  8. Cadac’s are brilliant…so easy to clean…but we knew that before getting the van.
  9. Don’t forget a rubber mallet! Awning tie downs are hard to peg out with just your hands!
  10. The hinges used for the fridge lid are rubbish. Our glass it coming adrift and wobbling about already…….being replaced under warranty. Anyone else had this issue? Think either lid is too heavy or hinge to stiff so too much stress on it.
  11. The pop top doesn’t leak in a downpour. Sadly my rear boot seal does and water drips on your head when sleeping downstairs…….another warranty job!
  12. The fly screens are ok, unless its raining and if you want to lower the blinds.
  15. Running the fridge etc barely seems to use any power, after 2 days and 2 nights we still had almost a full charge…..i guess you could almost do a week off grid?
  18. Must plan food a bit better. Too much of what we didn’t need and not enough of what we did!
  19. Two nights away is just too short! Closely coupled with…we don’t get enough annual leave!

I think that’s about it! Overall we loved our new Cali and can’t wait to escape again soon. Perhaps a little further afield next time!

View attachment 94964
Great set of tips thanks.

Glad you enjoyed it and yeah, it's a honing process each time you go away, the following trip will be smoother. We recently got our first Cali but it follows years of tent camping so everything is already pretty streamlined. The biggest problem for me is fretting over dirt, grease, suncream handprints etc! Can't wait for it to look a bit more lived-in and I might relax a bit.

Sorry to hear about the leaking tailgate - there was a recent thread on here I think. Hope it's sorted quick.

Re: the poptop in bad weather. I have a 2-man tent and a thermorest I use for cycle/moto touring, it takes up no room in the van, and in case of high winds I can lower the roof, mum & lad can sleep downstairs and I'll be in the tent.

Spanish campsites are always "lively" with kids until late, you just get used to it. It's the adults that annoy me, they can be up til 5am talking (rubbish, usually), blissfully unaware of the cycle tourists a few feet away who have a 6am start...
I can relate over the dirt and suncream. I think I just need to take it on a surf trip and get it full of salt and sand and then I can relax

Hi David
It’s very interesting to read your report as we’re awaiting delivery of our new California Ocean. Thanks for the tips. I’m a bit worried about the build quality faults you report. Will be inspecting with an eagle eye on collection of ours!
Touch wood everything is minor. I have found it with every new car, regardless of brand. Just seems less care in the build process over the last few years.
The dealer has been great though and the extended warranty is a no brainer on the California

View attachment 94964
Are they the 18” matt black wheels out of the VW spares catalogue?

What do you do for a spare?

Hi David
It goes without saying that you will check thoroughly on delivery, we also had a spring less than necessary for the system to place the bed board in lounge position, but it is already in order now and have an incredibly annoying squeaky and creaking seat of the driver's seat but there is already one ordered new.
I still wonder: is everyone so afraid of the build quality then? They have been around since the early 2000s and have following frequent breakages: the louvered door of the large cupboard is known (and is now a sliding door), the control panel and the knob also but this seems rather wear and tear after years of use and perfectly repairable or replaceable. The latch in the sliding doors apparently break easily (t6.1) so can be a common fault however or it's more of use but that's just my idea (ours is now a little over 2 months old and we already did the doors many times open and closed: not yet broken, not even by our children; maybe next time they’ll break but as I read easily and cheap repair). The glass plates that come loose -and where apparently a dealer already noted that this is common- seems to me rather an exception because I never read anything about this before (but I’ll ask my dealer about this) so probably more exceptional or a bad series? The folding seats in the tailgate, yes: they also break regularly but there are repair kits for sale now and I will take one as a spare on our travels. The tent canvas and the many mentions about tears: sorry, but you have to be careful with that; more than 10 years with our t4 westfalia with lifting roof and original canvas from 1991(!): never once sat somewhere in between with damage as a result (normally a bungee cord is no longer needed at t6.1). Water seepage through doors and windows: usually drainage gutters that are clogged, but sometimes there is also another cause. Rust on the front roof piece: hopefully solved / in order but I fear it.
Oh, and electronics are not always error-free or completely reliable, but this is the modern age, isn't it?
Of course everyone is free to add to the list of common issues.
So for me, there's no reason at all to worry about build quality: check out the oldest Californias (t5 and on) you'll encounter on your travels: they withstand the edge of time very well and the aforementioned issues are nothing compared to what lot’s of owners of large campervans (GC?) experience, especially those with mobile homes, the big whites.
So, don’t worry and enjoy the wait.
Greetings

Last edited:
I can relate over the dirt and suncream. I think I just need to take it on a surf trip and get it full of salt and sand and then I can relax
That is true; for sure is that our now almost 2 months old coast never will look like the first weeks :D and I’m in pease with that.

I thought at some point we would end up buying ramps but after 5 years or so its looking unlikely. Personally I think if you have ramps you're more likely to obsess over getting the van perfectly level.

Very nice looking van by the way!

Are they the 18” matt black wheels out of the VW spares catalogue?

What do you do for a spare?
They are actually the gloss ones…just dirty!

I just have the standard spare as they are all the same rolling circumference so fine to get me to a repair garage if an issue. Just looks a bit rubbish in the process!

They are actually the gloss ones…just dirty!

I just have the standard spare as they are all the same rolling circumference so fine to get me to a repair garage if an issue. Just looks a bit rubbish in the process!
Ah ok so that’s a 17” spare with a taller sidewall?

Which tyres do you have on the 18”s?

I thought at some point we would end up buying ramps but after 5 years or so its looking unlikely. Personally I think if you have ramps you're more likely to obsess over getting the van perfectly level.

Very nice looking van by the way!
Not our experience but then again: each his thoughts and experiences about that :D:cool:
I have a similar idea about solar panels: read about it but never bought it: never had a power shortage (although in our over 10 years of travels now with a t4 westfalia and always have the fridge on during travels). Maybe our new t6/1 isn’t that good on the hours per load but I will find out later.

Last edited:
Ah ok so that’s a 17” spare with a taller sidewall?

Which tyres do you have on the 18”s?
Bridgestone Potenza sport 235/50 18

And the 17s had Bridgestone duravis r660 215/60 17

Great post and impressive after one trip!

Re your points (7) and (16) - here is my top tip for the little blind pockets. We're not coffee drinkers but as you can see we like multiple types of tea and it's always easily available.

We're 18 months into Cali ownership and I still marvel at these wonderful machines. Ours is now firmly part of our family and I can't imagine ever being without one again.

Enjoy!

Screenshot 2022-06-23 at 10.52.37.png

Great post and impressive after one trip!

Re your points (7) and (16) - here is my top tip for the little blind pockets. We're not coffee drinkers but as you can see we like multiple types of tea and it's always easily available.

We're 18 months into Cali ownership and I still marvel at these wonderful machines. Ours is now firmly part of our family and I can't imagine ever being without one again.

Enjoy!

View attachment 95013
I love the little pouches! Although disappointingly the biscuits seem to have been stolen and replaced by more tea bags :D!

I love the van and can imagine lots of future adventures in it.

1. Levelling ramps are a must have! Relatively easy to get the van onto them, although with the DSG you need to make use of the handbrake as well to stop rolling back down before you can get on the foot brake! I love the levelling feature on the screen. Very helpful! Once you are on the levelling ramps it’s a real pain rotating the drivers chair as you have to take the handbrake off to turn the chair around…….think a set of chocks would be good here as a bit tricky keeping footbrake on to avoid loading the gearbox in park, while turning a chair! Any tips appreciated
I would try this option. Once the locking chock is in position the parking brake can be released allowing you to rotate the front seats.

I would try this option. Once the locking chock is in position the parking brake can be released allowing you to rotate the front seats.
Something VW have done correctly in the GC, the handbrake can be lowered out of the way whilst staying on.

Back