Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

How do you play music in your California?

Guy.M

Guy.M

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199
Hello peeps, just wanting to understand how you play music whilst chilled in the evening and camping in your Californias, hooked up on EHU. I’m in a 6.1 Ocean MY21, and love the sound from the infotainment system. And so prefer to play music in the evening via the system, rather than a separate portable speaker, say. But it (understandably and for normally good reason) cuts out after 30mins which is a bit annoying. Any views on this, alternatives, ways to override - eg I hoped camping mode might override the 30mins switch off but seemingly not. Views please.

Sonos Roam connected to iphone and Apple Music. Sonos say 10 hours on single charge but cant vouch for that claim yet. Charges vis usb c or wireless

Hello,

I thought that in the T6.1 you can use the radio during camp setup as well. They changed the setup so the electricity comes from the leisure battery and not the car battery.

I thought that was a good improvement. Am I wrong?

Happy swinging California,
Eberhard

JBL, I think ours is a charge 4, it has good sound and seems to holds the charge for a long time.

We use our mobile phones connected to a W-King re-chargeable bluetooth speaker. Very good speaker, compact, with good sound quality.

I know this doesn’t really address your question… but to add to the list of speakers to consider (if you are considering them) we have one of these;

Bang & Olufsen BeoPlay P2 Portable Splash-Resistant Bluetooth Speaker​

0089C24A-CD0B-4F01-ACF5-EE73E110D544.png

Any views on this, alternatives, ways to override - eg I hoped camping mode might override the 30mins switch off but seemingly not. Views please.
There have been various threads on this in the past. It appears that it is possible to re-wire the built in radio unit to run off the leisure batteries, however IIRC getting it to stop cutting out after 20/30 mins is still not straightforward.

Odd that VW have never fixed that but most people just live with it and use a separate bluetooth speaker for listening while camped.

We either use a plug in DAB radio or Spotify through a Bluetooth speaker (cheap and cheerful Sony one)

Ultimate Ears Boom Bluetooth speaker or DAB radio (from the house kitchen) when on EHU.

Thanks all for the responses. Seems the consensus is a separate speaker. I have a UE Boom so that’s what we’ll do. And to the specific Qn about Infotainment running off the leisure battery - seems not. Or at least it routinely shuts down and you need to press the on button again.
Shame this requires a separate system given the quality of sound from multiple speakers vs just one stand alone one.

Hello peeps, just wanting to understand how you play music whilst chilled in the evening and camping in your Californias, hooked up on EHU. I’m in a 6.1 Ocean MY21, and love the sound from the infotainment system. And so prefer to play music in the evening via the system, rather than a separate portable speaker, say. But it (understandably and for normally good reason) cuts out after 30mins which is a bit annoying. Any views on this, alternatives, ways to override - eg I hoped camping mode might override the 30mins switch off but seemingly not. Views please.
How do I play my music......LOUDLY

Bose SoundLink Mini Bluetooth Speaker​

Good solid sound and lasts 9 hours

I've just last week had a Kenwood infotainment unit installed. I finally cracked it; Kenwood was no use, can't talk to them, no human available. Couldn't figure out how to plug a USB. No insertion found on front, so I rang a store selling them and they are in the glove compartment. Two of them. Now in the process of familiarising myself with the Kenwood and my smartphone. Like any new computer new thingie, the more one plays around and understands where to touch the screen, the easier it becomes. In hind sight, would I have changed from my VW dealership to another installer? Good question. Umm, my dealership has been excellent the past 6 yrs, so I have no regrets.

We insisted on a van with the posh sound (Dynaudio) and download loads of output from the wonderful listener-supported Radio Paradise plus playlists from Tidal -all in juicy hi-res - then connect to the van by Bluetooth using and iPhone or iPad. As good as it gets for us. Still have to press the button every 25 mins or so but that’s no real hassle and not worth trying to modify it in my view.

Absolut 5 can fit a switch in the glovebox which will switch the radio power from engine to leisure battery and eliminates it cutting out after 20 mins.

Absolut 5 can fit a switch in the glovebox which will switch the radio power from engine to leisure battery and eliminates it cutting out after 20 mins.
I’ve been waiting for this post! Seems a strange setup by VW, odd that you can’t use the stereo on hookup. Why take another bit of kit when you’ve got eight speakers in the van designed for that space?The solution seems obvious, but it’s strange that it’s so rare. I’ll get onto Absolut5 thanks very much.

Last edited:
Bose soundlink for me too. Easy to move inside or out as required. Use it as Bluetooth attached speaker with my tablet for Netflix as well as Spotify and BBC Sounds.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk

I have a t5 Cali wiv a pioneer aftermarket head unit, this was already installed when I bought it but I hav a small 3 positional rocker switch in my glove box, in the up position it runs off the ‘car battery’ and as stated cuts out after 30 mins, centre position is off and down position it runs constantly off the leisure battery, I hav no problems it’s a very good set up.

Back