Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hesitating between two wheels options: Wookdstoock (17) OR Valdivia (18)

F

feruiz

Vehicle
T6 Ocean 150
Hi all,

I trust you're all doing fine and thank you for this beatiful forum. I'd like to get your point of view and opinion helping me to take a decision to choose a set of wheels for a T6 Ocean. Today, I've the option to choose between Woodstock (17") with 215/60 tyres or Valdivia (18") with 255/45 tyres

I love both options and, honestly, I'm heasitating which one to move forward. I was thinking on getting your external feedback maybe can help me choose.

I share these pictures showing how both options fits into the T6 Ocean

According to your "eyes" and maybe experience with any of the wheels set, which one you recommend?

I appreciate a lot your comments, THANK YOU!!

Best Regards

20231213_125656.jpg

20231215_134702.jpg

I like the 18” ones.
Love my 18” Palmerstons and looks great.
IMHO

I like the 18” ones.
Love my 18” Palmerstons and looks great.
IMHO
Thank you Bill; Palmerstons are also beautiful but unfortnately these are the two options/opportunities I've right know to choose. Thank you

Hi all,

I trust you're all doing fine and thank you for this beatiful forum. I'd like to get your point of view and opinion helping me to take a decision to choose a set of wheels for a T6 Ocean. Today, I've the option to choose between Woodstock (17") with 215/60 tyres or Valdivia (18") with 255/45 tyres

I love both options and, honestly, I'm heasitating which one to move forward. I was thinking on getting your external feedback maybe can help me choose.

I share these pictures showing how both options fits into the T6 Ocean

According to your "eyes" and maybe experience with any of the wheels set, which one you recommend?

I appreciate a lot your comments, THANK YOU!!

Best Regards

View attachment 118304

View attachment 118305
I’ve never been a fan of woodstocks. Their a-symmetry looks a bit caravan to me.
18’s fill the arches better, and I am happy with my Springfields, though I expect the ride’s not quite as plush as 17s.
I’d go for the Valdivia.

I’ve never seen that 18” option, but they look good. I’ve 18’s on mine.
can you drive one with both options to see which ride you prefer?

I’ve never been a fan of woodstocks. Their a-symmetry looks a bit caravan to me.
18’s fill the arches better, and I am happy with my Springfields, though I expect the ride’s not quite as plush as 17s.
I’d go for the Valdivia.
Hi! 66tim99, thank you very much for your feedback; in theory, all 16, 17 18 wheels should fill properly the arches, rims+tyres should keeps always the same diamter,right?. I think that you're referring to the rims/tyres width. I notice that Woodstick 17" ones, the external visible surface of the rim is flat while the Valdivia 18" ones the external surface is curved (from the edge of the rim towards the center)
Wow! Springfields are also beatiful .... thank you tim

I’ve never seen that 18” option, but they look good. I’ve 18’s on mine.
can you drive one with both options to see which ride you prefer?
Hi Colin, thank you!... yes Valdivia rims forms part of the T6.1 catalog among others. It's true that, at least in my country (Spain), this model is not very common to sess as others. I had the opportunity to ride both options and I recognize that 17 (215/60) are a bit more agile that 18 (255/45).

I notice that for 18 mounted on my T6 (150CV), the car requieres more inertia on the start/departure as well as when you demand to speed up, it requires more time along the transition. Based on my feelings and perceptions, 17 are quicker on the speed up transions than 18. Also I notice some addional fuel consumptions on short distances/city (I'm stimating around +1-1,5 liter additional/100KM). For long distances/highways, the incremental consumption is minimal, based on my tests: +0.1/0.2liters/100KM)

In any case, the incremental consumption I think that it was expected and it is not going to be the main criteria to choose the wheelset :)

Thank you Colin

Mine is being supplied with the Woodstocks, which I thought are the best of the free options we have in the UK.

Of the two, I prefer the way the 18” wheels fill the arch. But I find the Valdivia too busy and sporty looking for a California. Also 18” will give a harsher ride.

On that basis, if the two, for aesthetic & ride quality I would go for the Woodstocks.

I don't fancy the Valdivia for exactly the same reason as @JuanVecino2023 above.
I would go with Woodstock, but if you get a chance to change the tyres on 235/55R17, don't hesitate, as the comfort will significantly improve merely on the fact that that air pressure to run will be 3.0 atm. instead of 3.8 atm. on the narrower 215/60R17.
and the fuel consumption pretty similar.

I don't fancy the Valdivia for exactly the same reason as @JuanVecino2023 above.
I would go with Woodstock, but if you get a chance to change the tyres on 235/55R17, don't hesitate, as the comfort will significantly improve merely on the fact that that air pressure to run will be 3.0 atm. instead of 3.8 atm. on the narrower 215/60R17.
OP take in to account that @JuanVecino2023, @aeicalifornia and I are all part of the (wannabe) swamper crew, plenty of folks here are in to the sporty look…VW offer a sports pack and not a swamper pack after all :) Go with whichever you like best, but the tyre comments above are very valid.

Hi @feruiz, I'm not sure what the roads in Spain are like, but if they are anything like the pot-hole ridden roads here in the UK then I would want as much rubber between the rim and the road as possible.

As @JuanVecino2023 said, go for the 235/55R17 tyres for maximum comfort, we've tried both 17" tyre sizes and it really does make a difference.

John

Agreed on this. I opted for 235s for the same reason

OP take in to account that @JuanVecino2023, @aeicalifornia and I are all part of the (wannabe) swamper crew, plenty of folks here are in to the sporty look…VW offer a sports pack and not a swamper pack after all :) Go with whichever you like best, but the tyre comments above are very valid.
There is truth to this.

I would advise for both your sanity and your wallet that you avoid that thread. A dark abyss.

I enjoy the ride on 254/45r18, mainly motorway travel in the week.
From driving in roads from Lisbon to Granada, the Spanish roads are sublime !
In a sixt rental Audi A7. Was a great drive

There is truth to this.

I would advise for both your sanity and your wallet that you avoid that thread. A dark abyss.
Just take a peek. Won’t hurt. Much ;)

I enjoy the ride on 254/45r18, mainly motorway travel in the week.
From driving in roads from Lisbon to Granada, the Spanish roads are sublime !
In a sixt rental Audi A7. Was a great drive
Actually, this is a really good point. Ride quality concerns fall away on billiard smooth European roads.

In the third world backwater of the U.K., it’s a more important variable. I live in Gloucestershire and I’m convinced that lunar roads have fewer potholes.

I need a Unimog for the school run.

Sorry, not intending to high jack this thread. Good luck with your decision!

I agree, roads to Hereford from Kidderminster are a joke. Need my Michelin Agilis 235/60’s on that road!

Have you considered just having standard wheels and then purchasing a set after delivery with the tyres to your requirements?
You should be able to resell the original wheels & recoup part of the cost in going up a size.

Tyre size 235/55/18 gives a little more sidewall for more comfort and a bit more road speed per engine rev.

Beiung in Spain you have access to Tyreleader wheel supply a link below will take you there.

I avoid Diamond Cut wheels like the plague due to personal experience of them corroding and marking easily.

Have you considered just having standard wheels and then purchasing a set after delivery with the tyres to your requirements?
You should be able to resell the original wheels & recoup part of the cost in going up a size.

Tyre size 235/55/18 gives a little more sidewall for more comfort and a bit more road speed per engine rev.

Beiung in Spain you have access to Tyreleader wheel supply a link below will take you there.

I avoid Diamond Cut wheels like the plague due to personal experience of them corroding and marking easily.

Second re diamond cut. It’s my reservation with the Woodstocks. The ones on my Abarth are a mess.

Hi! 66tim99, thank you very much for your feedback; in theory, all 16, 17 18 wheels should fill properly the arches, rims+tyres should keeps always the same diamter,right?. I think that you're referring to the rims/tyres width. I notice that Woodstick 17" ones, the external visible surface of the rim is flat while the Valdivia 18" ones the external surface is curved (from the edge of the rim towards the center)
Wow! Springfields are also beatiful .... thank you tim
Hi
Yes I just meant visually fill the arches better.
Good luck with it

ine is being supplied with the Woodstocks, which I thought are the best of the free options we have in the UK.

Of the two, I prefer the way the 18” wheels fill the arch. But I find the Valdivia too busy and sporty looking for a California. Also 18” will give a harsher ride.

On that basis, if the two, for aesthetic & ride quality I would go for the Woodstocks.
Hi @JuanVecino2023,
thank you very much! and I'm also aligned with your your 18" comments. From one end, they fill better the arch but from other end, I notice that the T6 becomes slow particular on the each start from 0 and where you're driving and you demand a "sudden" speed up... you feel more inertia in the quick changes speed. Also, you need to be carefully with the speed pedal and driving to control a bit the fuel consumption.... in short runs or movements, i notice around 1-1,5 liters incremental....
Thank you very much!!
Fernando

Back