Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Help with how to replace awning leg

S

Simon_G

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Coast 150
Looking for help from the wise bods on here. I have to replace an awning leg on my 5 week old Coast. Sudden squall and even with the Thule tie-down kit, the leg buckled at the mid-point (see photo). I have purchased a complete replacement leg from the shop (fantastic and quick service) but I am looking for guidance from those who have had to do the same thing. Do you need to remove the leading-edge cover of the cassette to undo the screws holding the hinge for the leg? Also, it would seem from the other photo that the leading edge is not closing tightly at the front end - possibly damaged when the leg buckled? Thanks in advance. SimonAWNING LEG.jpgAWNING CASSETTE.jpg

Last edited:
Hi Simon,

not sure what parts you have bought
to answer your question :
you can change the leg over without removing the casing and front cover.
if you open the awning slightly (no more than 300mm) drop the legs down, lift the front flap you will see the top of the leg is attached to the frame.

9FA4AC17-6C17-46AF-81F0-78F6E8CB4CFA.png

Looking at the photo, I think you're closing problem will be resolved once the damaged leg is swopped out. I suspect the buckled leg is preventing full closure.

Hi Simon,

not sure what parts you have bought
to answer your question :
you can change the leg over without removing the casing and front cover.
if you open the awning slightly (no more than 300mm) drop the legs down, lift the front flap you will see the top of the leg is attached to the frame.

View attachment 85384
i have bought the whole leg assembly Part 14. I just need to attached it to the awning frame!

Looking at the photo, I think you're closing problem will be resolved once the damaged leg is swopped out. I suspect the buckled leg is preventing full closure.
The leg is no longer attached - I had to drill the rivet out at the top to enable the Coast to be driveable as the leg could not be collapsed and stowed properly.

The leg is no longer attached - I had to drill the rivet out at the top to enable the Coast to be driveable as the leg could not be collapsed and stowed properly.
Ahh...Ok that's not the problem then....no more helpful suggestions from me then ;) Only to review the rear assy & look for differences to see if anything is bent/damaged....Good luck with the re-fit.

Ahh...Ok that's not the problem then....no more helpful suggestions from me then ;) Only to review the rear assy & look for differences to see if anything is bent/damaged....Good luck with the re-fit.
Thanks. I will let you know how I get on!

Can't remember exactly but pretty sure there isn't any need to remove the cassette cover. If you can post a picture it might help jog my memory!

You don't need to remove anything to swap the leg out. Wind it out a bit . Drop the leg down and undo the pins at the top. Easy. Use the other leg for support and maybe a clothes prop on the side you take the leg off. Pretty straightforward.

You don't need to remove anything to swap the leg out. Wind it out a bit . Drop the leg down and undo the pins at the top. Easy. Use the other leg for support and maybe a clothes prop on the side you take the leg off. Pretty straightforward.
If I remember correctly, this is from personal experience?

Back