Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Skipton, North Yorkshire

L

lohr500

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6 Ocean 204 4Motion
Just joined the site and thought I should say hello.

We are seriously considering buying a Cali in the near future. I've already picked up loads of useful information from the forum and have been busy doing as much research as I can.

We would really like a 4Motion Cali as we live rurally and I plan to use the Cali as my daily driver. 4x4 is handy in the winter to get up our farm track and I guess it will also be a bonus on muddy campsites. We are used to owning all wheel drive vehicles and have had all sorts of different ones in the past including a DSG VW Tiguan 4Motion. If we buy new, I will specify with the rear diff lock as well.

I was really pleased to see the 4Motion option back on the UK new build configurator this week.

Given the T6.1 is due to be phased out next year, do you think buying a new Ocean 4Motion now is a good move?
Part of me thinks yes, as the 4Motion could be come sought after, once no longer available (I'm assuming there won't be a 4Motion T7 but am I correct thinking this?). Part of me thinks NO as potential future buyers will want the latest version (although we plan the Cali to be a long term keeper).

I would get on with it while it’s available. It’s very difficult to predict what will happen over the next ten years but owning a Cali is a great experience.

It sounds like you are looking to keep your Cali long term. I had the same thoughts before jumping on board.
I opted to focus on what I wanted from the van before putting what others might want, or not want, from it in the future. Think house purchase...

Thanks for your replies. So long as there are no hiccups with getting the 50% deposit, 0% finance offer, we have decided to press the button ASAP.
And as you say @KevH we will focus on the options we want, not what others might want in the future.

Config. at this stage is :

4Motion with diff lock
17" all season tyres
Metallic paint (Starlight Blue)
Hill descent
Acoustic pack
High beam assist
Comfort sleeping mat
Detachable tow bar

I placed an order a couple of weeks ago. In my research, the Comfort sleeping mat gets pretty poor reviews. Many people find it uncomfortable and when we “tried before we bought” we could see why: it’s rock hard. We didn’t specify it, and will get an aftermarket one.

Sounds like a great spec!

Bit the bullet and placed our order today with help from Tom at Breeze VW. :thumb
Eagerly awaiting the build and estimated delivery dates!!

Thanks for your replies. So long as there are no hiccups with getting the 50% deposit, 0% finance offer, we have decided to press the button ASAP.
And as you say @KevH we will focus on the options we want, not what others might want in the future.

Config. at this stage is :

4Motion with diff lock
17" all season tyres
Metallic paint (Starlight Blue)
Hill descent
Acoustic pack
High beam assist
Comfort sleeping mat
Detachable tow bar
Personally, I would add the shower. I would also add the traffic sign recognition if buying again. The speed limit then appears on the dash, which I think is useful. You can use Waze/Google Maps on the media unit but the speed limits they show are not 100% reliable.
The comfort sleeping mat feels pretty hard and I’m one of the few who gets on well with the T6 version. Maybe consider an aftermarket one, even if a bit more expensive.
Have you seen the starlight blue up close? That’s the colour I ordered for my Ocean but if buying again I would probably go for Ascot Grey (just my preference).
I see you’ve already ordered but you probably have 3-4 weeks to make any changes if you do decide on different options. Whatever you choose it will be a great spec with the 4M :thumb

Given the T6.1 is due to be phased out next year, do you think buying a new Ocean 4Motion now is a good move?
Part of me thinks yes, as the 4Motion could be come sought after, once no longer available (I'm assuming there won't be a 4Motion T7 but am I correct thinking this?). Part of me thinks NO as potential future buyers will want the latest version (although we plan the Cali to be a long term keeper).

A T5 4motion from 14 years ago is till desirable & sells well, there is no reason why a T6.1 shouldn't be the same.

Your suggested spec is similar to mine & looks good, having seen mention of mud I would recommend the wood floor, not because it looks nice but because it has a smooth surface to wipe clean. The standard grey floor is textured & a nightmare to keep clean.

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Much appreciated :thumb

We considered the wooden floor but thought we would probably end up with rubber matting/flooring or low cost carpet anyway, thus hiding the floor.

Not too fussed about the speed sign recognition. After driving a Tesco delivery van part time for the last two years, I have developed a second sense for speed limit signs!

We may live to regret adding the comfort bed topper, but time will tell.

I haven't seen Starlight Blue up close so it is a bit of a gamble. SWMBO chose it over the other colours and as I didn't dislike it when we googled lots of Calis in that colour, I wasn't going to pick a fight with her.

The shower option would have been nice but we had to draw the line on options as we went way over budget with the 4M/diff lock. I think 4M/diff lock will be a big benefit as I will be using the Cali as a daily driver and our farm track is quite a challenge in the winter once the snow and ice arrive.

T
I haven't seen Starlight Blue up close so it is a bit of a gamble. SWMBO chose it over the other colours and as I didn't dislike it when we googled lots of Calis in that colour, I wasn't going to pick a fight with her.
Our second van was starlight blue. Looks almost black in bad light to a lovely very sparkly metallic lighter blue / purplish colour when clean in bright sunlight. I had originally wanted the pearl black again but the blue was the only van of the right spec available in stock. I didnt regret it.

Current van is Fortuna red & that looks better in the flesh than on paper.

GC600 was tow tone iridium Grey & starlight silver, I liked both of those as colours as well.

A lot of others may disagree but the only colours I don't like are the flat ones, ascot grey, white & cherry red. The first two though can be improved by adding the sports pack so you get the black wheels etc contrasting with the main body colour.

Fortana Red was the other choice we had shortlisted, but the Starlight Blue won the day.

Another vote for Fortana Red, though I am biased .

Thanks for all the feedback so far. Much appreciated :thumb

We considered the wooden floor but thought we would probably end up with rubber matting/flooring or low cost carpet anyway, thus hiding the floor.

Not too fussed about the speed sign recognition. After driving a Tesco delivery van part time for the last two years, I have developed a second sense for speed limit signs!

We may live to regret adding the comfort bed topper, but time will tell.

The shower option would have been nice but we had to draw the line on options as we went way over budget with the 4M/diff lock. I think 4M/diff lock will be a big benefit as I will be using the Cali as a daily driver and our farm track is quite a challenge in the winter once the snow and ice arrive.
We have a Starlight Blue T6.1 Transporter conversion. Wasn't sure at first as we bought during lockdown and couldn't go and see any "in the flesh". When we picked up the van it instantly stood out on the dealer forecourt. On a sunny day you can even get slight purple reflections. We're very happy, but it's obviously a personal preference.

Just got a message from Tom at Breeze advising that we now have a build week of week 5 :)
We placed our order on the 13th November so the build is sooner than expected.
Not complaining though!!!!