Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Northern Spain

M

MartinMere

Guest User
Hello!

I found this forum only yesterday and it has already helped me a lot in my quest to buy a Cali, so thanks everyone for the information.

A bit about me: as an avid amateur astronomer I'm looking for a way to visit dark sky sites and then be able to crash out after an evening's observing, and a camper looks like the ideal way to do this. I also enjoy long days in the hills (particularly the Scottish Highlands -- not so easy these days from here), and since many are quite remote and benefit from cycling some of the way, again the camper looks to be a great option. Then there's family camping with our son and dog... While my heart says 'late bay', my head (and wife) is suggesting something in the T4-T6 range...

We're viewing a low mileage 2011 T5 140 DSG tomorrow and I have a couple of questions after reading about engine and corrosion issues on this forum.

Is it the case that the dreaded engine problems that have required replacement have only affected some of the 180 models, or are there cases where the 140 DSG has also been affected?

For corrosion, is this a generalised problem affecting all T5s? I see on the Spanish forum that a lot of people over here are starting to have problems with the dealers over this issue (whereas in the UK it seems the dealers are mainly doing the right thing).

One other question about the comfort of the rear seats on long journeys. We noticed that in a 2002 T4 we were testing the rear bench seats were pretty uncomfortable for adults. Has the design changed much since then e.g. in terms of adjustability? I can't find many comments on the web about rear seat comfort so perhaps it isn't much of a problem in more recent models?

Thanks in advance, and looking forward to taking part in the forum and hopefully one day contributing...

Martin

Hi Martin I don't believe the 140 was effected by the oil usage problem
The corrosion will only effect the Cali because of the aluminium roof

Bienvenido Martin,

I don't how things were here in UK but, when I boughg my Cali I was undecided about whether to buy a 140 or 180 hp one. I read a lot about problem in tbe Spanish forum and met people whi had to change the engine several times. I'm not sure about the root of those problems, but looks like it was more frecuent in early 180hp ones.

I gues VW "learned" and those engines are more refined now. Just in case I've chose the 140hp one because it was the one I had on my Passat and I was very happy. Now I feel the 140hp engine quite reliable, although sometimes, when climbing some slopes, looks like it's not powerful enough. But to me it's OK.

Regarding the roof, at Spain people are managing things in a very different way than here. IMO people here are more joined and can push more.

Thanks Kev. I'd hoped that was the case.

Gracias estresao -- did you choose that username when looking for a camper? :).

Martin

Yes I did, you can imagin my status at the moment LOL

A bit about me: as an avid amateur astronomer I'm looking for a way to visit dark sky sites and then be able to crash out after an evening's observing, and a camper looks like the ideal way to do this.

Hi Martin
With the Cali you'll find it very easy to visit dark places like Morocco, where the skies are amazing with zero light pollution.
We have been there on 4 separate trips now and have spent many late hours sat in my chair with my 7x50 bins marvelling at stuff I would never see elsewhere.

Good luck with your quest.

Thanks Loz. I was in Utah last month and the skies were unbelievably good. Such a shame we've lost it for so many places in Europe.

Hi and a welcome from Belgium....