Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hello from Bristol UK

N

Nik Boyd

Lifetime VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 199 4Motion
Hello All

I'm Nik, a new member here - My partner and I are looking to get a VW Cali in the next year, still have loads of decisions to make over Ocean/Beach...about the only thing we are sure of is that it must have heating!

We are climber/mountaineers and having spent a week in October in North Wales waking up in -5 temperatures...well, it was cold. There has to be a better alternative to autumn/winter climbing accommodation, and I'm fairly sure that it has 4 wheels and a bed. oh, and did I mention...heating ;)

Hi Nik,

Welcome! Whichever Cali you choose, you’ll have loads of fun. We have an Ocean because we like the fixed kitchen. The beach is arguably a more flexible vehicle- there are plenty of advocates of both, just search the forum. Also lots of threads discussing the many Cali options. Enjoy....

https://caliventures364847572.wordpress.com/

Ocean is awesome. Beach is awesome. I just sold my Grape yellow beach with night heater. What an amazing fun machine. I miss it terribly. Had it 2 years. Gone for the ocean now. I love that too. But something always bothers me about selling my yellow beach. It stood for everything that camping should be. Fun. I miss the beach. Alot. Anyway good luck in your choice. If you buy a beach you won't regret it. I never did.

Out of interest, why did you switch to an Ocean? We can both see the benefits of both

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Out of interest, why did you switch to an Ocean? We can both see the benefits of both

Because I'm not a fair weather camper. The beach is ace. A yellow beach is the coolest thing on a camp ever. But I want to camp all year round so felt the oceans facilities suit better. Don't get me wrong I loved my beach. It was yellow it was fun.

Welcome allong .

That makes a lot of sense - we want one for weather that isn't so great. Kind of hard to get out much in this country if you only go when it sunny.
Because I'm not a fair weather camper. The beach is ace. A yellow beach is the coolest thing on a camp ever. But I want to camp all year round so felt the oceans facilities suit better. Don't get me wrong I loved my beach. It was yellow it was fun.

I now have a starlight ocean. Believe me I love it. It's awesome.

Last edited:
Anyone in the pub

Welcome to the forum. You can see flying banana enjoyed his beech. Now he loves his ocean.

:welcome

Why is there so many Cali's in Bristol, is the city that bad ?

Haha, it's a great city - good access to mountains and the coast (with some wonderful sea cliff climbs) for a weekend though its about four hours drive to the bigger hills...camper can just seems easier. Plus, our weather is awful most of the time

Hi @Nik Boyd -- I'm in a similar position to you as a keen climber/mountaineer wanting 'flexible' accommodation.

I've ordered a Beach with 2-seat bench (+ heater of course) for the ultimate flexibility - it will be my only vehicle so didn't want to be carting round the kitchen sink all the time.

If weather grim I anticipate I'd usually end up in a pub & should be straightforward to use a small gas cooker to make tea or occasional pasta etc. & of course can always add a kitchen pod another time. That was my thinking anyway. My climbing friends with vans mostly have similar setups

A beach with some form of cooking is a flexible option. Or the SE/Ocean has it all fitted but seats less people.

More space sleeping downstairs in the Beach compared to the Ocean.

The Ocean is less flexible for carrying stuff against the Beach which can more easily.

Try them both out and go to Heritage for a look round. I am in the Harbourside if you want to have a look at my oldish SE sometime.

Alan

Welcome here Nik

All and everything said above so only thing I can add (again): Welcome and keep us up to date how you decide and do not forget to share some pictures!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I *think* we are both going to keep our own cars as well...initially at least and see how it goes so not thinking of using the Cali as a daily vehicle.

Heritage have said that they are getting an Ocean in the next couple of weeks so going to have a look at that - we have seen a beach in the flesh.

We go out in some pretty appealing weather, especially on DofE expeditions when there is no choice and the ability to sit in the warm and make a drink is very appealing. Just have to decide if that's worth the smaller bed.

Apaling, not appealing, although, each to their own
Thanks for the welcome everyone.

I *think* we are both going to keep our own cars as well...initially at least and see how it goes so not thinking of using the Cali as a daily vehicle.

Heritage have said that they are getting an Ocean in the next couple of weeks so going to have a look at that - we have seen a beach in the flesh.

We go out in some pretty appealing weather, especially on DofE expeditions when there is no choice and the ability to sit in the warm and make a drink is very appealing. Just have to decide if that's worth the smaller bed.

Might be interesting to ask your original question (or a version of it) on UKclimbing.com
There's a whole series of articles on "van life" there too that make a worthwhile read