Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Heading towards 2024 With an Ascot Grey T6.1

AscotGreyCali

AscotGreyCali

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204
So after a summer of research and a lot of reading of the forum and a great 6 day hire of a 2023 California that we took to Orkney we have at the end of August.
We really enjoyed our holiday, driving about 600 to 700 miles.
So we ordered a California 6.1. Through Drive the Deal at the end of August, next spring delivery would have been ideal but I wanted to get an order in before the order book closes.
We wondered about waiting for the Multivan California but concluded by the time it makes the U.K. market, one arrives on a hire fleet so we could confirm it would work for us . And then ordered a van we could be talking very earliest 2025 spring before we had our own California. I would have liked the hybrid power plant in the Multivan.
After a good number of hours on the configurator and realising our early favourite specs - Starlight blue and Reflex Silver Twin was discontinued.

We have tended to buy metallic blue cars over the years so thought we would buy Starlight Blue, but after viewing a couple of Ascot Grey Californias over the summer and is always the way spotting a good number of Polos & T-Rocs in Ascot Grey in different lighting conditions we have decided on the following spec.

• 204 DSG
  • Ascot Grey Solid Paint
  • Sports Pack
  • Art Velours Interior
  • Wood Floor
  • Silver Inlays
  • Discover Sat Nav
  • Tow bar
  • High Beam Assist and TPMS

Will arrive when it arrives but looking forward to exploring Scotland and further afield, we’ve done a fair amount of driving holidays in Europe over the years but looking forward to using the California for this.
Thank-you everyone for all their insights that they have shared on this forum that informed our specification choices.

I used the garage DTD use and went directly, but I have previously bought a car from DTD and found them great.

I've ordered a similar spec, were you given an idea when you'd get it? I ordered mine today and was told 3 months best case scenario and 6m worst?

Are you sure you want the silver inlays? The standard Ocean inlays are what distinguish it from the Beach, Coast and Surf models. I’m just saying from my own experience:)

Are you sure you want the silver inlays? The standard Ocean inlays are what distinguish it from the Beach, Coast and Surf models. I’m just saying from my own experience:)
I have a strong preference for the silver inlays over the standard ones in the Ocean. Each to their own I guess.

Thanks for the responses, yes 3-6 months was the time range, with an order in the last week of August .

That’s interesting about the inlays I didn’t realise the standard ones were unique to the Ocean. Our hire Ocean had the Silver inlays and we preferred them on this spec.

Art Velours. I thought long and hard about those.£1500 for vw to take of the original covers and replace with something slightly better.Couldnt bring myself to do it.In the end i decided to get the covers changed to leather cost £1800 and it was worth every penny.They look factory fitted and i still have the original seat covers to pass on if i wanted too. They take the van to a different level.

Art Velours. I thought long and hard about those.£1500 for vw to take of the original covers and replace with something slightly better.Couldnt bring myself to do it.In the end i decided to get the covers changed to leather cost £1800 and it was worth every penny.They look factory fitted and i still have the original seat covers to pass on if i wanted too. They take the van to a different level.
I agree. It is strange that the VW standard seat covers are so impractical for a multipurpose vehicle like a California, with food preparation and the rest. it is almost as if they know owners will have to take their extra, add seat covers or re-trim. The art velour covers are more practical that the standard trim, but like @California Rob, after first choosing them I looked into a genuine leather retrim and went for that (same sort of price) and have no regrets.

Thanks for the responses - I’ve had Art Velours in a Golf GTi a couple of years back and was happy with it. But could understand the leather retrim option if you have a business not so far away who can do it.

We found the California / Campervan Time you tube helpful in terms of working out spec.

So after a summer of research and a lot of reading of the forum and a great 6 day hire of a 2023 California that we took to Orkney we have at the end of August.
So we ordered a California 6.1. Through Drive the Deal at the end of August, next spring delivery would have been ideal but I wanted to get an order in before the order book closes.
We wondered about waiting for the Multivan California but concluded by the time it makes the U.K. market, one arrives on a hire fleet so we could confirm it would work for us . And then ordered a van we could be talking very earliest 2025 spring before we had our own California. I would have liked the hybrid power plant in the Multivan.
After a good number of hours on the configurator and realising our early favourite specs - Starlight blue and Reflex Silver Twin was discontinued.

We have tended to buy metallic blue cars over the years so thought we would buy Starlight Blue, but after viewing a couple of Ascot Grey Californias over the summer and is always the way spotting a good number of Polos & T-Rocs in Ascot Grey in different lighting conditions we have decided on the following spec.

• 204 DSG
  • Ascot Grey Solid Paint
  • Sports Pack
  • Art Velours Interior
  • Wood Floor
  • Silver Inlays
  • Discover Sat Nav
  • Tow bar

Will arrive when it arrives but looking forward to exploring Scotland and further afield, we’ve done a fair amount of driving holidays in Europe over the years but looking forward to using the California for this.
Thank-you everyone for all their insights that they have shared on this forum that informed our specification choices.
I’m almost in the same position as you same spec minus the Art Velor and Fortana Red with sport pack. ( but we could flip back to Ascot at last min )

Can I ask how DTD works in terms of payment if I place the order now is it just the deposit I need to pay and if so how much? when is the final balance due? Asking as keen to get this order in before the book close but waiting on a sale to complete in my exiting motorhome.

Hi good luck with your purchase! We went through autoebid (same process as DTD) - paid £1000 deposit then remaining balance was due when van ready to collect. Once you’ve paid deposit, future payments are to vw dealer. It was all very easy and straightforward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 204 DSG
  • Ascot Grey Solid Paint
  • Sports Pack
  • Art Velours Interior
  • Wood Floor
  • Silver Inlays
  • Discover Sat Nav
  • Tow bar

We bought a Coast last year in Ascot Grey and have received so many compliments on the colour since then. Enjoy, we love ours.

Hi good luck with your purchase! We went through autoebid (same process as DTD) - paid £1000 deposit then remaining balance was due when van ready to collect. Once you’ve paid deposit, future payments are to vw dealer. It was all very easy and straightforward.

Thank you order getting placed Monday then once we finalize the colour how can it be so hard to decided with such limited colours

Thank you order getting placed Monday then once we finalize the colour how can it be so hard to decided with such limited colours

It’s a big decision! There were more colours when we ordered so it took us ages to decide. Ascot grey is really nice, my polo is this colour and people often comment on how good it looks. Mojave beige looks pretty nice too imo. You’ll love whatever you decide :)

I think Ascot Grey with sports pack is a great choice - we very nearly changed to it but stuck with Indium Grey. The wooden floor and art velour we love too.

• 204 DSG
  • Ascot Grey Solid Paint
  • Sports Pack
  • Art Velours Interior
  • Wood Floor
  • Silver Inlays
  • Discover Sat Nav
  • Tow bar

The blue two tone seems to have disappeared from the VW configurator, but we ordered through DTD with Eurovans and Eurovans tell me you can still order the two tone (we had already specified Pearl black by this point and still keep having doubts about that but apparently our van went into build this week so I have to stop wondering if we should have gone for a different colour)! Conversation about available colours was only on Monday this week.
Our order was placed by Eurovans on 7th or 8th August (about 5 days after we submitted it online with DTD). So will be around 3 months, maybe a bit less, might depend on the strikes …

Thanks for the replies, out of interest how long does a California take to build when it goes into the workshop, Take it it’s longer than the couple of shifts for a normal car?

We went for the Sport Pack for the Wheels and the fact the heated windscreen is included. Did anyone get a full list of what’s included in a MY2023 Sports Pack.

We’ve received an update that the California is going to build 9th October - would it be fairly accurate to assume that would mean an early December dealer delivery?

• 204 DSG
  • Ascot Grey Solid Paint
  • Sports Pack
  • Art Velours Interior
  • Wood Floor
  • Silver Inlays
  • Discover Sat Nav
  • Tow bar

This afternoon finally ordered same spec as you minus the tow bar and silver inlays. Decided to take a 5hr round trip to Poole to do the deal and have a really great test drive. I had no intention of having the Art Velour but as the demo van had it and the wife loved it there was no option but to go all in happy wife happy life Now the waiting game

Sport Pack for the Wheels and the fact the heated windscreen is included
That’s a change then. My MY22 Ocean with sports pack does not have a heated windscreen. It does though have upgraded glass in the cab door windows.

One thing I regret not getting is the sign recognition
Yes I was in the “I don’t want to regret it” camp and ticked most boxes. I do slightly regret not ticking the art velours box though - though I’m very happy with my Individual Auto Design seat covers, and the £500 in my pocket.
Very happy with traffic sign recognition - use it regularly as you’re not always sure where speed limits change. It’s accurate 99% of the time I’d say. It does sometimes read a side-road sign I think.

That’s a change then. My MY22 Ocean with sports pack does not have a heated windscreen. It does though have upgraded glass in the cab door windows.
This is an interesting one, doesn’t seem to be advertised; which is surprising. It seems to come with the acoustic pack now, which comes with the sports pack. I was initially told that the sports pack could only be added if the heated screen was also added at an additional cost of c.£500. But when I ordered with sports pack the heated screen wasn’t on the order sheet, nor charged for but it was fitted to the vehicle on delivery. Makes the sports pack a bit of a bargain in my opinion, and I’m surprised VW don’t make more of a thing about it in advertising.

This is an interesting one, doesn’t seem to be advertised; which is surprising. It seems to come with the acoustic pack now, which comes with the sports pack. I was initially told that the sports pack could only be added if the heated screen was also added at an additional cost of c.£500. But when I ordered with sports pack the heated screen wasn’t on the order sheet, nor charged for but it was fitted to the vehicle on delivery. Makes the sports pack a bit of a bargain in my opinion, and I’m surprised VW don’t make more of a thing about it in advertising.
Yes mine got the acoustic pack. I got the sports pack for the wheels but it did seem a bargain compared to eg 2-tone paint with all the other bits n bobs.
What model year is yours?

Yes mine got the acoustic pack. I got the sports pack for the wheels but it did seem a bargain compared to eg 2-tone paint with all the other bits n bobs.
What model year is yours?
MY24 I believe, built early Jul. It’s got a random ‘WIFI’ button on it which is the only thing different I can see from my previous MY21, and wasn’t on MY23, other than the bellows.