Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Hanover trip; route and where to stay.

Bobbybus

Bobbybus

Learning how to be a hedonist...
VIP Member
Vehicle
T5 SE 180 4Motion
There are many of us going on the Hanover trip this April. What route are people planning to take? Where are you intending to stop? Selfishly, I'm thinking it would be good for some of us to travel together as I have little experience of driving in Europe (only in Estonia) and certainly no experience of using the California abroad.
I'll probably be going down to Dover to take the tunnel route over to Calais; Dover may be a good place to meet.

I'm up for that. Going on the tunnel more than likely. I have not decided yet whether to overnight and get any early train in the morning or get into France / Belguim and overnight there before driving to Hanover.

Many diffrent routes from Calais to Hannover.

France-luxemburg-Germany
Or come over Belgium ...

Those who are arriving the mainland via Holland i advise to plan in a stop at Amersfoort !
I keep repeating myself CCN ,
http://www.campercentrumnederland.nl/
Is a must see when travelling thru Holland!

Last edited:
I have received confirmation from the campsite at Birkensee near Hanover for the nights of 17th and 18th April. I have 9 days off with my wife to do this trip, so I was thinking of travelling down from Leeds on Sat 15th to Dover (or close by) resting overnight and then getting the train through the tunnel early on Sun and overnighting on route again between France and the camp site at Birkensee, Germany. I don't know where.
Monday and Tuesday at Birkensee then loads of time to see some sights on the way home, but again, don't know where.

I have received confirmation from the campsite at Birkensee near Hanover for the nights of 17th and 18th April. I have 9 days off with my wife to do this trip, so I was thinking of travelling down from Leeds on Sat 15th to Dover (or close by) resting overnight and then getting the train through the tunnel early on Sun and overnighting on route again between France and the camp site at Birkensee, Germany. I don't know where.
Monday and Tuesday at Birkensee then loads of time to see some sights on the way home, but again, don't know where.

Remember : Easter week-end .....very busy on the roads and campsites , on some free aires you will need to be on time to have a spot.
I would have chosen a diffrent date for the factory visit but seems most people wanted it to be then.
Easterweekend is the kick-off of the campingseason , many campsite only open from that time on.
I think crossing Germany is gonna involve a lot of slow traffic and "stau"
Please all count this in when planning the trip to Hannover!

We are not sure about the route yet. But we stay at the Birkensee Camping.

Prediction from ADAC ( German RAC)
Easter vacation from the 10th till the 21th april ...busy roads?

IMG_0871.PNG

Ok so I think I am going to overnight in Belgium somewhere on the 16th and travel to Hanover on 17th.

Ok so I think I am going to overnight in Belgium somewhere on the 16th and travel to Hanover on 17th.

Looking at campsites or free-airs?
Not that many official free-aires in Belgium.
If you let me know how far you are getting before you stop , be glad to give some tips...

I'l be heading off 16 or 17th , don't know yet ....

Looking at campsites or free-airs?
Not that many official free-aires in Belgium.
If you let me know how far you are getting before you stop , be glad to give some tips...

I'l be heading off 16 or 17th , don't know yet ....
Campsite Wim. Let me know when you are travelling and could meet if you like.

The map Hotel California posted makes it very clear: avoid crossing the Ruhr industrial area in Germany if you can.

From Calais/Dunkirk best travel through Belgium and The Netherlands to pass the Ruhr area on the North: Utrecht (NL), Hengelo (NL), Osnabrück (DE), Hannover (DE).

From Harwich/Hook of Holland or Newcastle/IJmuiden, roughly the same: Utrecht/Amersfoort (NL), Hengelo (NL), Osnabrück (DE), Hannover (DE).

Utrecht (NL) - Hannover (DE) is a 4-hour drive, roughly.

Last edited:
Campsite Wim. Let me know when you are travelling and could meet if you like.
I've booked a site in Eindhoven for Sunday night as we are turning this trip into a bit of a tour. Going to drop into Bruges on the way past from Calais. Going to drive the route via Osnabruck.

Rich 20, we are also doing the same route but probably taking a look at Dunkirk on the way to Eindhoven for the night as we are going to spend time around Bruges on the way back and dropping further down to Ypres.
Which campsite in Eindhoven are you using?

Different route for us.

After Easter weekend at WEC Silverstone. Get to Birmingham Airport and fly to Hannover and stay in a hotel. Fly back and collect Cali from airport.....

Rich 20, we are also doing the same route but probably taking a look at Dunkirk on the way to Eindhoven for the night as we are going to spend time around Bruges on the way back and dropping further down to Ypres.
Which campsite in Eindhoven are you using?
We are staying at Camping de Paal. We are going to Bruge on the way to Eindhoven then going to Holland for a few days after Hannover. We are on the 8.50 tunnel.

Back