Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Grinding noise from soft close sliding door

s2bear

s2bear

VIP Member
Vehicle
T6.1 Ocean 204 4 motion
Hi all, when opening the slider from either inside or out I have to pull the handle then wait until the soft close servo does it’s bit before sliding the door open.
If I don’t do this and operate it normally (all in one movement) there is an unpleasant and loud but short grinding noise at the beginning of the opening action.
If I had to describe this noise I would say it sounds like gear teeth stripping or jumping and given the scenario, it may well be that.
(I don’t know how soft close servos operate though)
I stopped by at the nearest dealer who didn’t seem overly interested but said they’d need it for 2 days minimum as they’d have to strip the interior. There was a long lead time for an appointment too so I wondered if anyone here had experienced and/or resolved such an issue themselves?

It’s a 4 month old T6 Beach with electric latch(soft close) sliding door.
Stu

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As no one’s responded I think one usually adds a bump but then this would be Bump & Grind so I’ll leave it there....

Hi all, when opening the slider from either inside or out I have to pull the handle then wait until the soft close servo does it’s bit before sliding the door open.
If I don’t do this and operate it normally (all in one movement) there is an unpleasant and loud but short grinding noise at the beginning of the opening action.
If I had to describe this noise I would say it sounds like gear teeth stripping or jumping and given the scenario, it may well be that.
(I don’t know how soft close servos operate though)
I stopped by at the nearest dealer who didn’t seem overly interested but said they’d need it for 2 days minimum as they’d have to strip the interior. There was a long lead time for an appointment too so I wondered if anyone here had experienced and/or resolved such an issue themselves?

It’s a 4 month old T6 Beach with electric latch(soft close) sliding door.
Stu

Are you talking about the Electric Sliding Door or the Electric Latching.

I just have the Electric Latching. It just works. No noise on opening and just a whirring noise as the rear of the door is pulled inwards on closing.

As has been said. Take it to an interested Dealer.

Thanks chaps. It’s just the electric Latching. I shall take it to an interested dealer.

If your talking about the grind coming from the left of the door as you look from outside ? Mine was doing that on my last trip. A bit of WD40 sorted it.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If your talking about the grind coming from the left of the door as you look from outside ? Mine was doing that on my last trip. A bit of WD40 sorted it.

Mike

Thanks Mike, that’s the one, tried that but will give it another shot. Whereabouts did you apply it - the runner area? Stu

Hi, I had a similar effect in my MY17 Ocean. The soft close is a sort of offset cam that rotates slowly to pull the door in. Mine made a grinding or grating noise for a bit. I did nothing, thinking I’d report it at first service but if stopped doing it. Needs lubricant? Wd40 not a good lubricant tho. I have some other waterproof lubricant I’ll try if problem recurs

Thanks Mike, that’s the one, tried that but will give it another shot. Whereabouts did you apply it - the runner area? Stu

Yep. That’s the place. I reckon some grit gets in there as I was somewhere hot and dusty.

Mike

Yep. That’s the place. I reckon some grit gets in there as I was somewhere hot and dusty.

Mike

Thanks again Mike - I bought some spray on grease (not WD40 which I used randomly last time).

The pin highlighted in the pic rotates to pull the door in. I bridged the contacts and watched it rotate and it only made the grinding noise when it wasn’t under the tension of the door being coupled to the latch so -

As you suggested, I squirted some grease around the base of the rotating pin (where it disappears into the door/motor). Silence for now at least. Thanks!
c036c03c63a35bff858d38bb5f32f347.jpg

Good stuff

Interesting thread. I would like to try this. Could anyone tell me which grease is good to use, seeing as WD40 is apparently not the way to go?

White lithium grease seemed to work

thanks! Will give it a try

Well, tried the white lithium grease in the spot as shown above, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Perhaps the sound I hear is normal? Only recently bought the van. It's not that loud. Is it supposed to make noise?

Yes.....that why it gets embarrassing in the middle of the night when your on a camp site should the need arise;)

Great info - thanks all. Our Cali had developed an annoying noise when closing it - it’s the electric soft close one, I greased the part mentioned and issue solved!

mines started doing this. only when opening though oddly. seems to close perfectly and pulls in as normal. is something failing here ? makes a sort of quick buirst of clicking/grinding noise when i pull the handle to open. ?

mines started doing this. only when opening though oddly. seems to close perfectly and pulls in as normal. is something failing here ? makes a sort of quick buirst of clicking/grinding noise when i pull the handle to open. ?
Try cleaning, lightly lubricate the soft close locking mechanism on the C pillar, it rotates to pull the rear of the sliding door in. Does the reverse when you pull the handle to open the door. Could be the cause?

Try cleaning, lightly lubricate the soft close locking mechanism on the C pillar, it rotates to pull the rear of the sliding door in. Does the reverse when you pull the handle to open the door. Could be the cause?
yep. just done that and it worked a treat.bit of duck oil on the cam.didn't even know that was how the soft close worked. i do now. cheers. i love an easy fix

Im wondering @flying banana , is the part you lubricated the same part as shown in the photo posted above by @s2bear ? Because I tried that a while back and it didn't fix the noise I hear. So if @WelshGas 's solution is another thing to try. I'd like to try it. Or perhaps the noise I hear is the normal noise that the soft close mechanism just makes.

Im wondering @flying banana , is the part you lubricated the same part as shown in the photo posted above by @s2bear ? Because I tried that a while back and it didn't fix the noise I hear. So if @WelshGas 's solution is another thing to try. I'd like to try it. Or perhaps the noise I hear is the normal noise that the soft close mechanism just makes.
Yes, that's the part. It will make a noise on closing. Seems loud on a quiet campsite in the dead of night.. That's normal but shouldn't grate or grind unless dirty.

yes. the pic with the red arrow on it. i used duck oil with a straw to get right in at it. it was definitely a grinding / ratchety noise mine was making. the normal noise is more of a whirring. you will instantly know if the noise isn't right. oddly mine only made the nasty noise on opening and closing was the normal whirring noise. it was definitely the cam shown as the noise has instantly gone

Mine is still good. I did apply the grease very liberally through a straw aerosol right on the join of the rotating cam. You definitely know when the noise isn’t right.

The correct noise sounds a bit like a CD being inserted into a head unit but louder and quicker. The wrong noise sounds like teeth being stripped off a cog.

If it makes you pull a face like a bulldog chewing a wasp - it’s the wrong sound.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This info has just resolved a very noisy sliding door, having lubricated everything I thought moved. Had no idea the pin rotated!
what a great forum this is, thank you.

Back