Prefers company of cows over electrical sockets
Vehicle
T5 SE 174 4Motion
Hello fellow forumists!
We were looking for a motorhome/camper fulfilling 3 quite specific criteria:
1: Inconspicuous, must not look like a motorhome
2: 4 wheel drive
3: Practical to use as only car

Got the brilliant idea to look for a Cali 4motion, partly thanks to you people in this forum.
Cali's are quite scarse in our part of the world and 4motion ones even more so, but by random luck i found a gorgeous German imported -06.

WP_20150810_21_34_05_Pro.jpg

For having done 155 k miles it's in surprisingly good nick.
It's been tweaked with a Seikel lift kit and 245/75R-16 Cooper Discoverer M+S. Possibly also a thicker rear anti roll bar, since it looks rather massive.
(If any previous owner recognize the car, please give me a shout!)
bestEn.jpg

Slept in it for 15 nights and this thing has completely taken my heart.
Drives comfortably on the road, tires are quiet, the beast accelerates good for it's size and fuel consumption seems surprisingly decent.
Also very pleased with the "white van man look" and love the view, sitting one floor above most other traffic. The Cali stands 208 cm.tall.
WP_20150728_20_12_58_Pro.jpg

Will post some more pictures and elaborate on what needs to be done/upgraded in second post and possibly some subforums.^^

WP_20150802_04_38_10_Pro.jpg
One of the first mornings waking up in the new (old) Cali.
WP_20150802_04_37_42_Pro.jpg
Love, VW, Cows and the Baltic ocean. I was happy.

A question: I've read in the forums that diff lock seemed to be included in the earlier models but haven't found any button for this.
How do i know if our Cali is equipped with it?

Cheers!

Last edited:
Welcome, and thanks for sharing the photographs. Stunning views. I'll have to plan a Cali adventure over there some day.

Enjoy your new 'white van' ;)

Welcome, and thanks for sharing the photographs. Stunning views. I'll have to plan a Cali adventure over there some day.

Enjoy your new 'white van' ;)
Thank you! We enjoy driving, living in and thinking about our "white van" to an almost ridiculous extent. :bananadance

And make sure to swing by Öland when you visit Sweden, it's a beautiful island and also where i'm from.
I will happily provide coffe and tips for, possibly cow infested, wild camping.
nytt.jpg

Thoroughly enjoyed my trip through Sweden to Knordkapp. Your roads are so much better than the UK. Even saw an Elk and the scenery is fantastic.
I think the Diff Lock was an option, not sure if it was fitted as standard.
If fitted then there should be a button on the Dashboard as I believe it was electrically operated rather than an actual mechanical lever.

Nice Cali , black bumpers not sprayed , heigherd suspention , bullbar and xtra lights....looks though:D

And offcorse a warm welcome from Belgium.....

Welcome Ab(ba)nonymous, greetings to Abbaland from Beatleland! :D

Your van looks the business, I like that no-nonsense look :thumb

Haha, thank you, both countrymen of Beatles and Technotronic, for the friendly welcome. ^^
Thoroughly enjoyed my trip through Sweden to Knordkapp. Your roads are so much better than the UK. Even saw an Elk and the scenery is fantastic.
I think the Diff Lock was an option, not sure if it was fitted as standard.
If fitted then there should be a button on the Dashboard as I believe it was electrically operated rather than an actual mechanical lever.
I've never been that far north myself, thanks for the inspiration!
Have looked for a button to no avail, guess i'll have to trust in the 4motion electronic traction control.

Time for the two lists of stuff to tinker with.
The issues we've had so far, nothing too bad:
  1. Left rear tire sometimes scraping the arches when suspension travel (Solved)
    -With a new screw
  2. Extra head lights not working (Solved)
    - Loose cable
  3. Extra head lights interfering with the already poor radio reception
    -Tried to fix with new antenna hidden under dash, but needs a more radical approach
  4. Buttons on headunit, Kenwood DNX8220 BT, intermittently not responding
    -Seems a standard problem on this model, will give trying to cleen it myself a go, otherwise send it for repair/upgrade to another aftermarket headunit.
  5. Headunit wont store radio stations (Solved)
    -Was a mixup of ignition + and permanent + from previous owner/(VW to start with).
  6. Headunit won't play music through Bluetooth more than 10 seconds
    -Will try software update of headunit
  7. Extra heater unreliable
    - Needs the earth shunt fix and possibly new leisure batteries. Tried grounding the battery in the back with a starter cable to the towing bar and problem solve; lights stopped flickering. However ampermeter in control panel came up wrong due to the measuring thingey being parallel bypassed.

A question: Are both leisure batteries grounded at the same point, i.e. the hard to reach place behind the fridge at the front of the wardrobe?

8. Intermittent smell of exhaust fumes when idling/driving slowly
    -Feasibly due to leaky mains gasket
  9. Aaand of course some front side roof corrosion
    -Guess it's not much to think about, since warranty is out and the problem's merely cosmetic

A long list, but to be honest i'm chuffed with how complication free the Cali is, the thing more being that i'm slightly anal and want to make My Precious perfect .

Now the less whiny upgrades-planed-list:
  1. Have ordered custom made seat covers, hope they won't be a pain to fit.

2. Install cruise control. Bought stalk from VW, have no electric windows. Is it feasible to install yourself and then let the dealer finish with vag-com?

3. Since it's an early model: Permanently install Cetek charger to charge leisure batteries from hook up (and, if possible a relay for starter battery).

4. Also lacking in the earlier models: Inverter. Will install a modest size one, not decided where to place the socket though.

5. Install solar panel via roof rails. Not sure about power level, or if possible to charge all 3 batteries, but will use MPPT controller.

6. Swap the bulb in the swan neck lamp to LED, possibly going crazy with rest of the interior lights also.

7. Modify the shelf under the sink to fit a Porta Potti Cube 335.

8. Connect headunit to leisure batteries, or replace it if issues above mentioned aren't resolved.

9. Install a small 4 channel amplifier, power from leisure batteries.

10. Build a 8" or 10" subwoofer for the space under the right side swivel seat.
    Lots of random connections there that needs moving out of the way.

11. Upgrade door/dash speakers with inspiration from Jaydub's thread (cheers!).

12. Got the underside inspected by a rust professional, since salt in the winter is a killer here in Sweden and we want to keep the beast indefinitely. The guy said it was in good condition but completely unprotected. It's a huge job, can't decide if it's worth about 3500 euros just to rest assured for future.

13. Impregnate (is this the correct nomenclature?) the cotton in pop up, not sure about how and what to use.

14. Enjoy a great tool for spontaneity and freedom, and of course explore off road capabilities further.
And to rest the eyes from the long read, some pictures. Love photographing and in combination with my new found obsession there has been quite a few taken.
WP_20150810_21_34_52_Pro.jpg
Stolen from a VW ad?

WP_20150801_14_22_17_Pro.jpg
It's a bit of a climb for my mom, so i got this convenient and sturdy collapsible step.
Apparently it has a certain weight limit, drove over it first day when i was off to pick up my beloved.
Oops.

Last edited:
To protect the underside and within wheel arches etc: you could do it yourself either by brush or by spray using Dinitrol or Waxoyl, if you can get hold of them in Sweden. They are pretty international and found on eBay and Amazon.
Using a Roof Topper, Comfortz on this forum ( there are other makes ), would give total waterproofing and extra insulation for winter use.
Both Leisure batteries are earthed at the one point.
Do you not have a Mains Charger? I thought the early ones did but it only charged the Leisure batteries whereas the later models it charged Leisure + Engine.

Thanks for your advice WelshGas. :thumb
More about the rust prophylaxes:There are a few small pin needles of rust in the white paint in the under carriage, the link arms have surface rust on them and the brake shields are covered with rust.
My concern is that conventional "coat on stuff" may seal the existing rust in without any control of it's progression. I have no experience in "rust eaters" and am reluctant to use the Cali as a Guinea pig.
(Also the thought of removing all the panels, pipes and radiators under the van without damaging anything gives me the chills, but that's just something to tackle. ^^ )
Any light to shed on my loosely founded suspicions?

The company inspecting the van will disassemble everything needed (with a warranty), do a full sand blaster, paint all surfaces with 3 coats of epoxy paint, spray the innards with a thin coat of some creeping rust prevention and exposed surfaces with a thicker Waxoryl like coat. It's a big job, 9 days, and he was straight forward with it being over kill for the good condition of our van. But he seems serious and gives a 10 year warranty.
Since we wont use it this winter i have some time to learn more about a DIY approach.

So far the pop top has stood up well to windy rain, impregnating is more of a feel good thing. Them roof topper's seems kinda cumbersome for my needs and will unfortunately block future sun panel.

Thanks for the info about the earth point. Understandable but surprisingly poorly executed solution by ze german engineers.

As far is i have understood the hook up in our 2006 Cali only serves to give an indoors socket, cable routing indicates the same. Though i have plenty to learn, so many thanks again for your input, i shall look deeper into it.

Last edited:
Check under the fridge via the side access in the kitchen cupboard next to the fridge. As far as I am aware, and I could be wrong , there should be a charger there that will charge the leisure batteries But not the engine battery. That facility was introduced in 2007/2008.
If nothing there then check the rear wardrobe, access from the boot. The 2 nd leisure battery should be there with a charger above. That is where it is on my California but I think in 2006 it was under the fridge.

Snooped through both places last week when i did some reconnaissance in preparation for solving earthing problem. Was hoping for a method of not having to remove the fridge (and cooker/sink it seems), to no luck.
Didn't have the charger in mind, will make a thorough inspection next time i'm at the island.
Thank's again Welsh gas, very helpful forum indeed.:thumb

Addendum to the Quest for the Unidentified Heatsink/Radiator underneath the van from another topic.

Hotel California: here's a larger image of the underside.
And here comes the full resolution version, 34 Mpx.
(Files are to big to be shown in the forum, .
i think. )

Interesting to see if some sense can be made of this, but thanks to your info. Guess it's likely related to them diesel heaters. Or not.

Last edited:
This vehicle has been modified and I just wonder, that looks like a heat exchanger and it seems to be directly under the Fuel Tank. Could it be that the fridge heat exchanger has been extended so that the heat could be used to keep the Diesel from freezing? Just a thought.:thumb

Back at the island and once again have the opportunity to enjoy the Cali.
We bought it with no hook up cable, so invested in a 25 m 2,5 mm one and WelshGas was completely right:
It charges, which is a nice surprise. I must have been to drowsy when browsing the forums.

Further: the custom made seat covers have arrived. My fingers are f****d to pieces but now the covers are finally fitted. No great problems, but attaching the elastic stuff underneath swivel seats and reassemble the plastic trim was a challenge for my patience.
WP_20151001_00_01_48_Pro.jpg WP_20150930_16_57_27_Pro.jpg

Mounting on sliding bench was facilitated by unscrewing the stopper on kitchen side base of the seat.
WP_20151003_15_45_28_Pro.jpg
Very pleased with both fit and look, they make the interior look warmer and goes well with the wanna-be-wood of kitchen/wardrobes.

Also had the opportunity to take some close ups of the yet to be identified heat exchanger/radiator. Any other angles i should take?
Winner gets treated to some delicious coffee, and possibly wine (terms and conditions apply*).
WP_20151003_15_44_42_Pro.jpg

Taking it to the local vw garage monday for diagnose of the exhaust smell, presumably from leaky main fold gasket or worse, a crack in the main fold itself.

Beyond the technical stuff (which i enjoy immensely) its a pleasure to drive and live with. So to liven things up: a recent picture.
Reg.jpg
Walked out out of a shop and was just stricken by our beloved white van. :embarrased Volvo unrelated but fits in nicely.

*winner must collect prize in sweden, cow related scratches to Cali not covered.

Last edited:
Haha, the coffee is your's, fine sir. :thumb Great find, got me in to a googling frenzy and the result of diesel- or oil cooler seem inconclusive. But we can for sure cross anything related to the refrigerator of the list

I'm travelling your way in May 2017. I'll bear it in mind.:)

Got it back from the VW repair shop today. Short review: good communications and swift handling.

Result from fault search: mainfold, gasket, connections to turbo and everything related was in good nick. Only thing noticed was some soot at the wastegate axel from the turbo, but not enough to cause the exhaust smell.

The repair shop believes the "non auxiliary" diesel heater causes the intermittent smell, since it's exhausts exit just under left hand seat and it "lives it's own life" as they phrased it. ^^
So that's a relief.

And now we have a working original VW cruise control!
Installation was uncomplicated, except for vagcom being needed.
Lovely driving with cruise control. :D

Edit:
I'm travelling your way in May 2017. I'll bear it in mind.:)
Excellent! Maybe even a cup of wine to celebrate.:)

Last edited:
Back