Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Greatly improved fuel consumption California T5

P

pgsup

VIP Member
Hi All
I drive a California SE 180 DSG BMT and in UK local driving ca 30 mpg.
Drove to Germany for Xmas consumption now ca 38 mpg.
Was the DPF totally clogged up with residue now burnt off and clean again, or is diesel here in Germany a much better quality regarding consumption,or a mixture of both factors.
Will monitor this when back in UK.
Thought the forum might be interested.
Thanks
Pgsup

Did not think it would make such a difference, travel to Germany regularly, and have never achieved this consumption,at best 34mpg,it has pleasantly surprised me.
Pgsup

only way to check fuel usage is fill the tank , drive empty , fill up again , do the mats...

strangely our T5 Cali (150 PS) always seems to do better mpg driving in Holland and Germany - 44 mpg last summer, I put it down to smoother driving on autobahns and less traffic clogs...normally in UK it does about 38mpg ..

Is it not just because you drive longer distances?

partly maybe, but long distance on UK m.ways eg driving to ferries or up to Scotland is still less mpg than driving to Hannover... maybe its just long stretches at a constant speed that makes the difference...

I noticed better mpg and smoother engine after a weeks driving in the alps (not so at the time) a couple of years ago
That was the time I have ever noticed engine regeneration coming into play!

Currently averaging 35 mpg mixed with local and distant driving

Mine varies. I've seen between 32 and 39mpg for the same journey driven in a similar manner. However typically its 32ish so I see the higher figure as a bonus.

When it was serviced last year consumption dropped drastically (mid / high 20s) and I was close to raising the issue with the dealership.

On my Alfa it was really obvious when the regen was coming in, you could see the MPG drop down instantly by an obvious amount.

It should in theory be obvious if you have a live MPG display enabled when its on. It shouldn't effect the average mpg unless you are doing only short runs where the regen isnt finishing its cycle.

So many variables.
Our 180 4Motion generally averages out at 32 but when the French fuel strike was on I travelled 650 miles up from The Pyrenees on the autoroutes at about 65mph. Water tanks drained and any excess weight got rid of. Result 41mpg. I think the main things are weight and speed.

Hills make a big difference. Holland is quite flat.

Wind strength and direction makes a big difference to our T5 - up to plus or minus 4 or 5 mpg

Type of driving, topography and weather are all factors that affect mpg and when they come together in your favour when driving 3 tonnes of metal and stuff, i.e. long duration, down hill, and wind behind you (no rain or snow) you can get great mpg from your Cali as seen here.
This was a trip from Calais to Reims last year - 209 miles.
Nowt to do with where we bought our diesel - after all it complies to a EN standard.

IMG_0509.JPG

Speed seems to make a big difference too. I notice the mpg drops off sharply as cruising speed increases above about 60.

Wind resistance is proportional to the square of the speed I believe!

Wind resistance is proportional to the square of the speed I believe!
So crudely if you increase your speed from say 40 to 80mph you will quadruple your wind resistance..........and consequently the energy to overcome it - thirsty work!!

I've a T6 150PS Manual Beach..... I've logged all my fuel consumption/expenditure from new to current 26,711 miles, using the "Road Trip" app.

Average is showing as 32.90 MPG.

My Cali, is my daily driver, plus we've done a couple of trips to Italy, Austria, Germany etc during these miles.... And of course many weekends in Ireland & GB.....

Around town MPG is ~30, on longer motorway runs ~38..... I normally drive below 80 MPH on motorways.... below 90 MPH on autobahn, Otherwise always 30 in 30s, 40 in 40s, 60 on nationals etc etc.....

On a drive up Germany, from Lindau to Hannover..... MPG was 38 average, even with the higher 90 MPH pace. Was impressed with this.....

Mine is a 2006, 174ps oil burner.

Average is 29 MPG, sometimes if i´m lucky i can get it to 30 MPG.
I never drive below 90 MPH on the Autobahn so i don´t expect any more.

Momentum makes a big difference too- maintaining a steady speed helps the economy.

I've a T6 150PS Manual Beach..... I've logged all my fuel consumption/expenditure from new to current 26,711 miles, using the "Road Trip" app.

Average is showing as 32.90 MPG.
On a very recent 400 mile round trip, across the centre of.Sicily, then along the southern coast, I managed 49.2 MPG on a brim to brim measurement; the MFD boasted 51.4 MPG. This was in an empty van with no bikes.

Our long term average is 43.5 MPG on the MFD in a full 150 DSG Beach with bikes, but I do drive slowly - usually under 60 MPH - unless I have a good reason for going faster.

After one refuel we had a range estimate of over 900 miles!
5d894db0d8d3b3530559358998997f08.jpg

Follow my blog: www.au-revoir.eu

On a very recent 400 mile round trip, across the centre of.Sicily, then along the southern coast, I managed 49.2 MPG on a brim to brim measurement; the MFD boasted 51.4 MPG. This was in an empty van with no bikes.

Our long term average is 43.5 MPG on the MFD in a full 150 DSG Beach with bikes, but I do drive slowly - usually under 60 MPH - unless I have a good reason for going faster.

5d894db0d8d3b3530559358998997f08.jpg

My long term (11,000 mile) MFD consumption is nearly the same as yours at 43.6 mpg, I normally run at 65 indicated on motorways and tend to use the old Volvo for short trips around town.

My long term (11,000 mile) MFD consumption is nearly the same as yours at 43.6 mpg, I normally run at 65 indicated on motorways and tend to use the old Volvo for short trips around town.
Be aware that the Trip 2 (long term) MFD resets every 100 hours (or 9,999 Km) of ignition on. Our reading of 43.5 MPG is over the last ~80 hours only.

I've clearly a much "heavier foot"

Back