Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Got a few questions

Mines been on hookup this weekend. Sunday evening, dash top socket(leisure batteries) 14.4v with hookup connected, switch off hookup 13.8v. Pullout ashtray(engine battery) 12.8v with hookup connected, switch off hookup 12.5v.On Saturday morning it was putting in 3.8amps for a few hours this has now dropped to 0.2amp. So on my Cali the hookup definitely charges both the leisure and the starter battery.

I think 2008 is the magic number, anything from then on will trickle charge the engine battery.
Ours is a 2009 pre facelift and was told by know it alls on here that there was no way our engine battery would be charged - we found out the hard way that it does! We stayed on a site without hookup for 3 nights once, and after overdoing the electric sliding door and not starting the engine during this time we discovered that the battery was flat as a pancake when we came to leave.

I can't believe that the T6 wouldn't trickle charge as this would be a real backwards step

Sent from my Galaxy S6

This doesn't read right. If your vehicle wasn't on hookup why should it charge anyway???
Can you explain what you mean.
My understanding is the electric side door works off the starter battery( because it is available on Caravels and T5 vans with no leisure battery system) therefore continual use for 3 days would deffo discharge the starter battery.

Buy a plug in volt meter like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-RBA3...726603?hash=item20b51fff8b:g:-w0AAOxyV85Ryw5N

and then plug it in various sockets and note if the voltage drops when you operate the sliding door or the roof etc and then you will know definitely what battery does what on your vehicle:thumb

This doesn't read right. If your vehicle wasn't on hookup why should it charge anyway???
Can you explain what you mean.
My understanding is the electric side door works off the starter battery( because it is available on Caravels and T5 vans with no leisure battery system) therefore continual use for 3 days would deffo discharge the starter battery.

Buy a plug in volt meter like this

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ring-RBA3...726603?hash=item20b51fff8b:g:-w0AAOxyV85Ryw5N

and then plug it in various sockets and note if the voltage drops when you operate the sliding door or the roof etc and then you will know definitely what battery does what on your vehicle:thumb
I think he means that when on hookup for an extended period, no problem with using electric sliding door and NOT flattening engine battery, but WITHOUT hookup then engine battery gets flattened.

I think he means that when on hookup for an extended period, no problem with using electric sliding door and NOT flattening engine battery, but WITHOUT hookup then engine battery gets flattened.
Yep that's what I meant. Cheers for the explanation Welshgas!

Sent from my Galaxy S6

Plug into the mains for 12 to 24 hrs, at least, every month. Or leave it plugged in, as there is no Maximum time limit, and the built in charger will ensure both Leisure and Starter batteries are kept full charged.

If charging periodically make sure there is NOTHING in any of the 12v sockets as well as the 240v Inverter socket.

Hi there, so you are saying that I can keep it plugged in for as long as I want without a problem ?
Is the built in charger like a smart charger ? I'm away for many months every year so I'm always thinking about what is best..........

Hi there, so you are saying that I can keep it plugged in for as long as I want without a problem ?
Is the built in charger like a smart charger ? I'm away for many months every year so I'm always thinking about what is best..........

Take no risk and plug it in a timer that switches on every two weeks for 24 h ....
Simple as that .
And let sombody once a while check on your verhicle.

There is a topic on here with tips for long periode stalling of a Cali.

Take no risk and plug it in a timer that switches on every two weeks for 24 h ....
Simple as that .
And let sombody once a while check on your verhicle.

There is a topic on here with tips for long periode stalling of a Cali.
Thanks, but wonder if anyone knows if the build in charger works like a ctek with a pulse ?
I do have a Ctek charger but I guess it will only charge the engine battery ?

Thanks, but wonder if anyone knows if the build in charger works like a ctek with a pulse ?
I do have a Ctek charger but I guess it will only charge the engine battery ?
I do not know if it is exactly like a cTek charger, but it is a smart charger. Together with other electronic circuits I gather it can re-charge and then maintain the charge on the 2 Leisure Batteries and will trickle charge the Starter battery BUT will not recharge a totally flat Starter battery. If you observe the Control Panel when you plug into the Mains then you will see an initial high current that drops down as the Leisure Batteries are charged to capacity until you get to a very low maintenance charge that can be maintained for a long period as if you were camping. Using a timer on the mains circuit could add to peace of mind and might have a slight impact on the electricity bill.
The Control Panel gives NO information regarding the Starter Battery.

I connect the van to mains, plug into the mains socket my ctek charger then charge the engine battery through the cigarette socket, have been doing this on a regular basis for at least the last 7 years.

John

I connect the van to mains, plug into the mains socket my ctek charger then charge the engine battery through the cigarette socket, have been doing this on a regular basis for at least the last 7 years.

John
So on the latter vehicles where the built in charger trickle charges the Starter battery, could you still do that, because you would have 2 chargers connected to the same battery.

So on the latter vehicles where the built in charger trickle charges the Starter battery, could you still do that, because you would have 2 chargers connected to the same battery.

Don't see why not as both the built in charger and the CTek monitor the state of the battery but what would be the point.
The manual does state that external power sources (ie solar panels, battery chargers etc) should not be connected through the 12v sockets but I think this possibly refers to the rear sockets powered from the leisure batteries??
BTW Aldi sometimes do a CTek type charger for around £15. We had one for ages and seems to work well.

Don't see why not as both the built in charger and the CTek monitor the state of the battery but what would be the point.
The manual does state that external power sources (ie solar panels, battery chargers etc) should not be connected through the 12v sockets but I think this possibly refers to the rear sockets powered from the leisure batteries??
BTW Aldi sometimes do a CTek type charger for around £15. We had one for ages and seems to work well.

Perhaps it does on face lift models, but not in my manual.!!!

John