Buy all your VW California Accessories at the Club Shop Visit Shop

Good simple Upgrade for RNS510 stereo in 2010 cali 4motion?

S

scubadoo

VIP Member
Hello,

I've always hated the unit and would love to have DAB, maybe even Bluetooth so i can stream phones to it but i guess just DAB and an AUX input would be ok.

Can anyone recommend any units that I could just go to a car audio store and have fitted?

Thanks
Dave

I should add that I want to keep the functionality of the reversing sensors (no camera in mine).

Hi Scubadoo,
I've just had a Kenwood DDX4017DAB full screen head unit (Dab) fitted complete with Pioneer high quality reversing camera......supplied and fitted for £608.00.....well impressed, Bluetooth, DVD, CD player, colour coded, iPhone iPad iPod compatible...etc etc.....2 year warranty.......

Hello,

I've always hated the unit and would love to have DAB, maybe even Bluetooth so i can stream phones to it but i guess just DAB and an AUX input would be ok.

Can anyone recommend any units that I could just go to a car audio store and have fitted?

Thanks
Dave

What phone do you have, iPhone or Android?

Also a rough idea of budget. Is Sat Nav important to you?

Happy to make a recommendation as I've just gone through this process.

Hello,

Thanks
Dave

How about the Volkswagen unit...???
Not sure what model mine is, but has DAB and bluetooth.
DAB reception isn't the best to be honest. I changed my DRL bulbs from standard to LED and since I've done that, DAB will only work when they are off:headbang

What phone do you have, iPhone or Android?

Also a rough idea of budget. Is Sat Nav important to you?

Happy to make a recommendation as I've just gone through this process.

Thanks, we have iphones & ipads. Could probably goto about £600ish?

Sat-Nav is not that important really, i tend to use a nice big tomtom.

Any recommendations would be much appreciated!

How about the Volkswagen unit...???
Not sure what model mine is, but has DAB and bluetooth.
DAB reception isn't the best to be honest. I changed my DRL bulbs from standard to LED and since I've done that, DAB will only work when they are off:headbang

I don't know which one you mean but I imagine being VW it will be overpriced? I used the one in a new T6 california that I had on loan and that did seem fine.

I don't know which one you mean but I imagine being VW it will be overpriced? I used the one in a new T6 california that I had on loan and that did seem fine.

Think they are referencing the RNS510 DAB (which is what you already have just with DAB)

The one from the T6 won't fit a T5 (well it will fit, but loads of stuff won't work).

If you have iPhone the Apple CarPlay units are a great option.

I spoke about some units in this thread https://vwcaliforniaclub.com/threads/replacing-original-2008-cali-radio.17562/#post-200041

"There's some great aftermarket options that will give DAB, NAV, CarPlay etc. they don't have the ease of use of the VW Units though, but possibly a better option here.

I've got the Pioneer F88DAB in my golf http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avic-f88dab which is amazing but just fiddly to use unless you're more technical.

I had the RNS510DAB in my Cali, but recently swapped it for the new Kenwood DNX516DAB http://www.kenwood-electronics.co.uk/car/oem/vwc/DNX516DABS/ which I'm not really a fan of.

In the Golf prior to the F88DAB I had the Pioneer sph-da120 http://www.halfords.com/technology/...oneer-sph-da120-car-stereo-with-apple-carplay

For anyone with an iPhone and a data plan the Pioneer SPH-DA120 at £329.99 is a steal for what it gives you, you can also plug in an aftermarket reverse camera which can be brought for £15!"

The pioneer SPH-DA120 does look good but I presume it doesn't have DAB? so i'd be reliant on phone data, and using internet radio? I'm often camping with no signal so that might be an issue.

I've just fitted kenwood dnx516 has dab radio and car play, it's also compatable with vw seated seats/reversing sensors/steering wheel controls etc.
It is expensive but I found a seat dealer on eBay selling brand new units for £900.
Has vw logo on start up too.
Def worth a look

The pioneer SPH-DA120 does look good but I presume it doesn't have DAB? so i'd be reliant on phone data, and using internet radio? I'm often camping with no signal so that might be an issue.

No DAB but has standard radio.

There's always compromise I'm afraid.

I ended up getting the Pioneer F88DAB but it's a bigger budget.

That said I had the SPH-DA120 in my Golf and it's fine, bargain at that price.

I've got the Pioneer F88DAB in my golf http://www.pioneer-car.eu/eur/products/avic-f88dab which is amazing but just fiddly to use unless you're more technical."

I'm also considering changing the stereo in my 2011 Cali. The F88DAB caught my eye as the current Kenwood unit in there doesn't do what I'd like. Are you happy with it?

The main attraction for me is DAB and ApplePlay / Phone with good Sat Nac. I assume parking sensors would still work too?

As I've had my Cali for all of two days, I'm very new to all of this. Would you say this is a job for a relative novice? A YouTube video showed someone changing the radio in in around 18 minutes, it takes longer than that for me to find all the right tools!!

Thx

I'm also considering changing the stereo in my 2011 Cali. The F88DAB caught my eye as the current Kenwood unit in there doesn't do what I'd like. Are you happy with it?

The main attraction for me is DAB and ApplePlay / Phone with good Sat Nac. I assume parking sensors would still work too?

As I've had my Cali for all of two days, I'm very new to all of this. Would you say this is a job for a relative novice? A YouTube video showed someone changing the radio in in around 18 minutes, it takes longer than that for me to find all the right tools!!

Thx

It's a great unit for sure, Parking Sensors / Climate Display / Steering wheel controls will all work if you have the right adaptor.

You'll need to run the GPS unit / Mic and also the DAB aerial (unless you have DAB aerial already and then you can re-use this with a special adaptor.

It's not a hugely complicated job but depends on how comfortable you are.

I have no affiliation with them but recommend them often, speak to Jason at Absolut 5, he'll send you the correct adaptor and the right bits to make it more straight forward.

....speak to Jason at Absolut 5, he'll send you the correct adaptor and the right bits to make it more straight forward.

Just off the phone from speaking to Jason, really nice helpful guy and sorted me out very quickly. Ordered and will be on it's way to me once all the various parts of the kit have arrived. :)

:thanks for the advice...

Just off the phone from speaking to Jason, really nice helpful guy and sorted me out very quickly. Ordered and will be on it's way to me once all the various parts of the kit have arrived. :)

:thanks for the advice...

Let us know how you get on and what you think of the unit too :)

I was hoping to do this upgrade myself too - my Cali doesn't have Bluetooth so presume the mic needs to be wired in - can anyone give me an idea of how much work that is? Also where does the DAB aerial go? Is this a straightforward fit?

I was hoping to do this upgrade myself too - my Cali doesn't have Bluetooth so presume the mic needs to be wired in - can anyone give me an idea of how much work that is? Also where does the DAB aerial go? Is this a straightforward fit?
Which radio do you have? Mine didnt have bluetooth originall but with VCDS it soon did and all I had to add was a mic ;)

Hiya. It's not too bad if you don't mind a bit of dabbling. If I was doing it again, it would be much quicker....maybe an 1.5 hours, but I'd allow a good three hours the first time. If you're anything like me, I want to check as I go, so constantly googling it. To be fair, it's a lot easier than it seems at the time.

I'd recommend buying one of these first...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H5CHC1U/?tag=eliteelect-21

...as for the sake of £10 it saves you damaging any of the plastics.

My Cali doesn't have inbuilt bluetooth either, so I can post some pics of where I put the mic (and the DAB aerial) if you want? Not got the van with me, so will be later today.

Some context might be helpful, if you've never picked up a screwdriver then it's a tough job, if you're used to DIY, tinkering with cars and are patient then it's not a huge job.

I already had DAB but to add the aerial you'd remove the same A pillar cover as to fit the mic, so essentially it's the same job (same can be said with the GPS unit)

Rough break down is:

- Remove radio
- Remove glovebox (5 screws)
- Remove A pillar cover (passenger side)
- Run mic & GPS unit and dab aerial lead from stereo round back of the glovebox (leave GPS unit here or behind speaker grill)
- Run Mic and DAB cables up the A pillar
- Stick DAB aerial on
- gently pull down the headlining and tuck the mic cable in
- pass mic cable round rear view mirror (I passed mine through where the lights go, 2 torx screws)
- Clip mic onto headlining
- Put it all back together

2 hours max

Last edited:
I'm in a similar situation, only with a less glam rcd310 as a starting point. I wanted to keep the oem look and integration with my parking sensors etc, but I wanted dab and Bluetooth for legal phone use, and streaming.

I've signed up for the radioplayercar kit and app. It's ordered and being fitted in 2weeks. £189 all in, inc professional fitting, and you can remove it when you sell. It's jointly developed by the BBC and owned by the radioplayer app many of us already have on our phones.

www.radioplayercar.com

Hiya. It's not too bad if you don't mind a bit of dabbling. If I was doing it again, it would be much quicker....maybe an 1.5 hours, but I'd allow a good three hours the first time. If you're anything like me, I want to check as I go, so constantly googling it. To be fair, it's a lot easier than it seems at the time.

I'd recommend buying one of these first...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01H5CHC1U/?tag=eliteelect-21

...as for the sake of £10 it saves you damaging any of the plastics.

My Cali doesn't have inbuilt bluetooth either, so I can post some pics of where I put the mic (and the DAB aerial) if you want? Not got the van with me, so will be later today.
That would be fantastic - thank you.

Thank
Some context might be helpful, if you've never picked up a screwdriver then it's a tough job, if you're used to DIY, tinkering with cars and are patient then it's not a huge job.

I already had DAB but to add the aerial you'd remove the same A pillar cover as to fit the mic, so essentially it's the same job (same can be said with the GPS unit)

Rough break down is:

- Remove radio
- Remove glovebox (5 screws)
- Remove A pillar cover (passenger side)
- Run mic & GPS unit and dab aerial lead from stereo round back of the glovebox (leave GPS unit here or behind speaker grill)
- Run Mic and DAB cables up the A pillar
- Stick DAB aerial on
- gently pull down the headlining and tuck the mic cable in
- pass mic cable round rear view mirror (I passed mine through where the lights go, 2 tore screws)
- Clip mic onto headlining
- Put it all back together

2 hours max

Thanks - very helpful! All of that sounds pretty straightforward actually. I was worried that more of the dash would have to come out somehow - but going up the nearside A pillar makes a lot of sense!

Thank

Thanks - very helpful! All of that sounds pretty straightforward actually. I was worried that more of the dash would have to come out somehow - but going up the nearside A pillar makes a lot of sense!

Worst part (for me) was removing the grab handle on the A Pillar. There is a plastic cover that pops out with a good whack so you expose the screws, but you feel sure you're going to break it by doing so! :Nailbiting

I put the mic in a different place, rather than run it up to the rear view mirror. It's not bad where it is, but I'd put it by the mirror if I were to do it again. I'll post the pics tonight...

Back